Special needs stroller

supergirl04

Mouseketeer
Hi!

I’m looking for a place to rent a stroller for bigger kids. The places I’ve tried are all booked for our dates. I didn't realize that strollers for bigger kids are a hot commodity.

My son is on the spectrum and tires easily. He’s 77 pounds and 51 inches. I’ve looked at kingdom stroller, scooter bug and Orlando medical rentals.

We’re offsite and have used kingdom strollers in the past because they dropped off and picked up.

This would be the first time we’ve used a medical stroller or one for bigger kids.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Renting a medical stroller is kinda rare. Most of the time it’s just regular strollers with a “Stroller=Wheelchair” tag. If you ever do see a kid in a medical stroller, it’s oftentimes their own personal one that they use on a daily basis or when they can’t use their manual wheelchair for whatever reason.

I do not know of any rentals but can share my friend recently purchased a Maclaren Major Elite Transport Chair stroller for her 10 year old autistic son and it was a huge help on her last trip. Much easier to maneuver and folds much more easily to get on transportation. His stroller is tagged as a wheelchair as he stays in it right up until they get on rides and he was happy and comfortable the whole trip.

Is he the only child needing a stroller? Just a thought, a sit and stand. The front seat would be too small for him, but the bench would be fine. Not very comfortable though. They say 45 per seat 90 lbs total.

Thanks all! So many places are all booked; it looks like I waited to late to reserve one. I’m going to keep checking the places I listed earlier in the hopes of a cancellation.

We bought a Convaid chair for my son, he is an adult now, so 160 pounds. They are expensive but we need for day trips, and even useful at the airport. He can walk. But tires easily, but wanders off and is nonverbal. The first one we got was on Ebay, actually, so saved on that one (it was never used). We liked it because it was angled at the back like a stroller, he tends to hunch forward (for no real reason).

This is a list of vendors that I've found in the Orlando area. I can't personally vouch for any of them, though, but worth checking out.
  • Scooter Bug (this is the only vendor allowed to use WDW Bell Services anymore - but I don't know if they have a special needs stroller)
  • Orlando Medical Rentals (they have the largest variety of special needs strollers)
  • Kingdom Strollers
  • Orlando Stroller Rentals
  • Simple Stroller Rentals
  • Amusement Park Rentals (their BOB goes to 75 lbs)
  • Rent Baby Gear Orlando (their BOB goes to 75 lbs)
  • Baby Wheels Orlando (not sure of their "large" size)
  • Strollerfly (their Joovy goes to 75 lbs)
  • Buena Vista Scooter (I don't know if their BOB is big enough)
Alternatively, would he use a wheelchair? You could look for a pediatric wheelchair. I think Orlando Medical Rentals has some as small as 14" and a couple of the ECV vendors also have 16" wheelchairs.

And I'll add... we also ended up buying a Maclaren Major Elite when my daughter outgrew the baby stroller. We found it online through an AT exchange website for special needs equipment. It was about 1/4 the cost of buying new, and we used it for vacation for several years (she didn't need it in regular day-to-day life).

This is a list of vendor's that I've found in the Orlando area. I can't personally vouch for any of them, though, but worth checking out.
  • Scooter Bug (this is the only vendor allowed to use WDW Bell Services anymore - but I don't know if they have a special needs stroller)
  • Orlando Medical Rentals (they have the largest variety of special needs strollers)
  • Kingdom Strollers
  • Orlando Stroller Rentals
  • Simple Stroller Rentals
  • Amusement Park Rentals (their BOB goes to 75 lbs)
  • Rent Baby Gear Orlando (their BOB goes to 75 lbs)
  • Baby Wheels Orlando (not sure of their "large" size)
  • Strollerfly (their Joovy goes to 75 lbs)
  • Buena Vista Scooter (I don't know if their BOB is big enough)
Alternatively, would he use a wheelchair? You could look for a pediatric wheelchair. I think Orlando Medical Rentals has some as small as 14" and a couple of the ECV vendors also have 16" wheelchairs.
Nice thank you save a ton of google searches. i BOLDED the one i just looked at and yes was cheaper than other places for less wieght cap. i think the one i saw was like $65 for the week ... thats a saving of like about $19 over the week BUT HEY thats 2 coffees lol every little saving helps. Thank you for this.
we have a stroller that may work but to get it out there is would be more $$ than worth i even looked at buying a stroller for the same price as a rental and then maybe leaving it for another family somehow.

Nice thank you save a ton of google searches. i BOLDED the one i just looked at and yes was cheaper than other places for less wieght cap. i think the one i saw was like $65 for the week ... thats a saving of like about $19 over the week BUT HEY thats 2 coffees lol every little saving helps. Thank you for this.
we have a stroller that may work but to get it out there is would be more $$ than worth i even looked at buying a stroller for the same price as a rental and then maybe leaving it for another family somehow.
Are you flying? If so, the stroller should travel for free as a medical device?

I think she just wants to rent one for the week instead of buying one for full time use.
Not the OP, that reply was to another poster who indicated they have a stroller but thought it would be expensive to bring it to WDW.

Not the OP, that reply was to another poster who indicated they have a stroller but thought it would be expensive to bring it to WDW.
Yes that was me. and yes was having some debates over stroller for her. (my daughter) And i did see your post on stroller as a wheel chair but was not aware of this or rules etc . first time i ever heard of stroller as a wheel chair was in these forums and just assumed that was a disney PERK or Accomodation. I am not the best dad for finding things that can help or benefit our family and daughter with her disabilities. It usually comes up as it happens or we have an issue and someone points out services / tools/ assistance etc. SO i really appreciate all this advice. I wil ltry and see how the stroller as wheel chair works with airlines as well.. Additionally I am nervous that the stroller we have is not DIMENSIONALLY supported by disney and air lines. so will look into that as well.
Thank you for your reply its truely appreciated

Even regular babystrollers and child car seats can be checked for free when flying -- at least on US airlines, I don't know if there is any difference internationally (I think I recall you are in Ontario). Also any medical equipment or supplies. The thing with the medical supplies to be free is that it must be a separate bag that only includes medical supplies (don't include pajamas or a change of clothes, toys, etc.). Declare it as "medical" before going through security (or at check-in if checking it - but be careful about what goes as checked luggage).

"Stroller as wheelchair" is something WDW offers, and I think other amusement parks/entertainment venues. It quite literally allows you to use a stroller for a young child; it allows you to take the stroller places where a stroller may not usually be allowed -- at WDW this means through the attraction queues. Otherwise strollers must be parked and families walk or carry a young child through the queue.

WDW does have limits on stroller size [31" (79 cm) in width and 52" (132 cm) in length] and on wheelchair size [36" (92 cm) in width and 52" (132 cm) in length]. The wheelchair allowance is slightly wider, and while I've never run across anyone having a problem I would think a "stroller-as-wheelchair" maybe could fit those wheelchair dimensions. The vast majority of strollers -- even most double-wides -- fit those dimensions.

Even regular babystrollers and child car seats can be checked for free when flying -- at least on US airlines, I don't know if there is any difference internationally (I think I recall you are in Ontario). Also any medical equipment or supplies. The thing with the medical supplies to be free is that it must be a separate bag that only includes medical supplies (don't include pajamas or a change of clothes, toys, etc.). Declare it as "medical" before going through security (or at check-in if checking it - but be careful about what goes as checked luggage).

"Stroller as wheelchair" is something WDW offers, and I think other amusement parks/entertainment venues. It quite literally allows you to use a stroller for a young child; it allows you to take the stroller places where a stroller may not usually be allowed -- at WDW this means through the attraction queues. Otherwise strollers must be parked and families walk or carry a young child through the queue.

WDW does have limits on stroller size [31" (79 cm) in width and 52" (132 cm) in length] and on wheelchair size [36" (92 cm) in width and 52" (132 cm) in length]. The wheelchair allowance is slightly wider, and while I've never run across anyone having a problem I would think a "stroller-as-wheelchair" maybe could fit those wheelchair dimensions. The vast majority of strollers -- even most double-wides -- fit those dimensions.
Thank you very much. WOW yes I do live in Ontario Canada so I will look into this amazing option (if available) wife and I were talking as i always run scenarios through my head to plan for hickups-that can be potentially avoided or at least be on guard for. This was one of them AIRPORTS are big I was already thinking we would have to get her a wheel chair I already know she can go like maybe 50meters? and require resting she really tries hard to stay mobile but her conditions just stop her dead in her tracks. i have been forced many times to PACK her and she is now at a size where .....DAD can if forced carry her to but dad tires just as fast as her .... :) I really appreciate all the assistance and advice weather USA or Canada as Dad looks at solving or limiting potential problems ahead of time and typically uses resources at his dissposal. HOWEVER, as great as DAD is at planning and managing I for some reason DONT look outside the box for help...This is just DAD being DAD it is very difficult for me to ask for it as i have always , have a problem fix a problem mentality and typically miss out on services benefits accommodations etc.

So i really appreciate everyones advice as DAD cant hypothetcially plan every scenario. XD

***Here is a question that i have now have been pondering...*** Do the bathrooms have rails by the toilets? or do i need to look for accessibility rooms? and how much of pain is that? This would be a plus BUT NOT a deal breaker I feel that would be a very helpful aid for our room at least.

Cheers all have a great day.

Thank you very much. WOW yes I do live in Ontario Canada so I will look into this amazing option (if available) wife and I were talking as i always run scenarios through my head to plan for hickups-that can be potentially avoided or at least be on guard for. This was one of them AIRPORTS are big I was already thinking we would have to get her a wheel chair I already know she can go like maybe 50meters? and require resting she really tries hard to stay mobile but her conditions just stop her dead in her tracks. i have been forced many times to PACK her and she is now at a size where .....DAD can if forced carry her to but dad tires just as fast as her .... :) I really appreciate all the assistance and advice weather USA or Canada as Dad looks at solving or limiting potential problems ahead of time and typically uses resources at his dissposal. HOWEVER, as great as DAD is at planning and managing I for some reason DONT look outside the box for help...This is just DAD being DAD it is very difficult for me to ask for it as i have always , have a problem fix a problem mentality and typically miss out on services benefits accommodations etc.

So i really appreciate everyones advice as DAD cant hypothetcially plan every scenario. XD

***Here is a question that i have now have been pondering...*** Do the bathrooms have rails by the toilets? or do i need to look for accessibility rooms? and how much of pain is that? This would be a plus BUT NOT a deal breaker I feel that would be a very helpful aid for our room at least.

toilets marked with wheelchair symbol have rails. this includes single handicapped rooms which can take longer if someone in ahead of you and also special toilets in standard restrooms that are marked. I have read about people being able to get a " lifter with rails" that fits over toilet but do not know about handicapped resort rooms

Reserve the room that best fits your family's needs. If that's a roll-in shower room (with rails next to the toilet) then reserve that room type! When searching for Disney World Resort Hotel rooms, you can activate the accessibility search function like so:

hotelbooking.jpg

It helps to cut out the visual clutter, and shows you the type of rooms that have availability.

Once you have set your search parameters (date, # of Adults & Children, etc.) then this is next:

hotels.jpg

It helps to speed the search to remember that on this results page, no price usually means "Try a different Resort".

Same thing here - no price info usually means there are no rooms of that type available, since once you book an accessible room, it is removed from available inventory to insure that it is set aside for your reservation.

rooms.jpg

Hope this helps you find the exact best room as quickly and easily as possible! 🙂

Reserve the room that best fits your family's needs. If that's a roll-in shower room (with rails next to the toilet) then reserve that room type! When searching for Disney World Resort Hotel rooms, you can activate the accessibility search function like so:

View attachment 672019

It helps to cut out the visual clutter, and shows you the type of rooms that have availability.

Once you have set your search parameters (date, # of Adults & Children, etc.) then this is next:

View attachment 672020

It helps to speed the search to remember that on this results page, no price usually means "Try a different Resort".

Same thing here - no price info usually means there are no rooms of that type available, since once you book an accessible room, it is removed from available inventory to insure that it is set aside for your reservation.

View attachment 672021

Hope this helps you find the exact best room as quickly and easily as possible! 🙂
Wow... I hope you didnt go through and mark all these pointers out yourself. I really appreciate the detailed explanation. I have played on the APP for booking etc for budget looking season prices etc. YES, i have seen that little accessibility box before but never clicked it because i thought it was more for people that are Completly dependant on aids. So i am clear my little one is NOT completely Immobile so I really dont want to take from someone else should they be reliant on the aids for the vacation. She has only fell off the toilet a few times but for her to get onto and off the toilet her hands are ALL over it. As far as the park goes mom or dad will be with her so the standard bend and lift and place is how we do it sometimes at home as well especially if leg is off for various reasons. A rail in the bathroom for the toilet is a bonus for us is all. (here comes the point i made before DAD sometimes gets the guilt feeling take away from others type mentality.) It is just a me hang up and im trying to overcome this process for the benefit of our daughter. took a while before i even realized or thought of getting the Disabilty parking pass because i felt what if someone else really needed worse than us. But i realized as we progressed this was about her not anyone else and this tools are here to assist her. Walking in the heat or snow over any real distance with her prosthetic etc was becoming a big obstical for us.

Thank you Very much.

PS does a wheel in shower mean all thats there is an accessible shower or is there a tub as well?
additionally accessible room would be a plus But i am more concerned with distances from food court of resort and need to look at preffered rooms I guess and pay for it. I kind of feel that proximatey to transport and food etc is more of a need than preference in my opinion. I know we have the stroller but it isnt really a stroller for transport its more of a incase she gets ouchies on her (nub) and cant wear her leg (happens at times) and for sitting when she physically cant stand or walk any more (typically 5-20 mins she needs to get off her feet 1.5 lung cardiac work and physical limitations tires very fast when on her feet as she has to work 2-3 times hard for that mobility.

Again thank you for the great pointers and advice.

There are different types of "accessible" resort rooms at WDW. I think the last 2 categories would be what you need -- and yes, booking a room with the features that allow your daughter to be as independent as possible is a need for your family.
  • Hearing accessible - these have visual aids for the phone, door knock, etc. Probably won't be of need for your family.
  • Wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower - similar to the room above except this room has a shower not a tub
  • Wheelchair accessible with tub - these rooms have an accessible path through the room and into the bathroom, with hand rails at the toilet and tub/shower; to have space for the wheelchair the bathroom tends to be laid out somewhat differently than regular rooms, possibly without the split bath area; this room will have a regular bathtub with rails
  • Florida Special accessible - an odd room category that may or may not be available at all resorts (I think they may be upgrading these to fully-wheelchair accessible as they do renovations); this room has hand rails at the toilet but not in the shower/tub
I only included the regular resort bookings here; suites and DVC villas may have some different configurations.

Personally, I find working on a laptop/desktop much easier to research things like resort rooms than a phone app. If you have access to use a computer that may help.

As an additionsl note- the “striker as wheelchair” tag is a courtesy and only applies inside the 4 major parks, not on Disney transportation to or from the parks. Regular strollers don’t have sufficient strength to be able to be tied down safely in the same manner as a wheelchair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!