Special Needs daughter will not wear mask

I thought of something this morning and I am tempted to contact Disney. If they could consider a rain cover on the stroller for the kids with disabilities, that could potentially work for many of us.
i am guessing this will be looked at like face shields and not allowed but just a guess. and as another said would not be allowed for rides

I realize it would not work today. But, it could be a way for them to deal with it. The face shield would not even work for us if it were allowed, he will not let anything near his head/ears.

I completely understand not being able to be used for rides. My little guy has been on rides but they are not his thing. He enjoys walking around and observing in his cacoon.

Still crossing my fingers that some solution comes through before the Christmas holiday.

I realize it would not work today. But, it could be a way for them to deal with it. The face shield would not even work for us if it were allowed, he will not let anything near his head/ears.

I completely understand not being able to be used for rides. My little guy has been on rides but they are not his thing. He enjoys walking around and observing in his cacoon.

Still crossing my fingers that some solution comes through before the Christmas holiday.
wasnt saying to use face shields but my guess is the rain cover would be viewed like face shields and not allowed instead of a mask. plus I dont think anything will change before Christmas time

I have worked with adults and children with special needs for the past 36 years, not to mention the fact that I have family members with special needs. Any comments I made were meant to be constructive and helpful. If they were considered offensive or overreaching in any way, that was never my intention.
It takes special people with extreme patience to work with autistic kids. We’ve learned so much from other parents suggestions and advice. It’s as if you have a special bond with those who face the same challenges and you want to share information about services and techniques that help.
Some advice may not be relevant or pertain to this months issues, but next month bring new set of issues so the more information you have, the better. I would never look at another person who cares for special needs people, that share information as insulting.

Last edited:
i am guessing this will be looked at like face shields and not allowed but just a guess. and as another said would not be allowed for rides
And the child would have to remain in the stroller at all times, except actively eating and drinking, or in a relaxation zone(?). No rides, not getting out of the stroller to walk, or stretch, or for an even short change of scenery.

And the child would have to remain in the stroller at all times, except actively eating and drinking, or in a relaxation zone(?). No rides, not getting out of the stroller to walk, or stretch, or for an even short change of scenery.
For sure. For our family, it is pretty simple. We spend lots of money for him to seriously go to the park for a few hours. He never wants out of his stroller, he's a people watcher:) It would be beneficial for getting from the hotel on the monorail to MK doing a stroll for an hour or two a day. Then for strolling the resort to a quick service. We could even do our dining outside at Gasparilla's. This would not work for some but would for us.

But, if I knew I could get him from the outside entrance to our resort room, would ease my mind. Our trip is booked on DVC points that have been canceled twice now.

I love to have ideas from others that understand as the poster did. I just wish that Disney could be brainstorming because even the smallest thing could help many of us.

For sure. For our family, it is pretty simple. We spend lots of money for him to seriously go to the park for a few hours. He never wants out of his stroller, he's a people watcher:) It would be beneficial for getting from the hotel on the monorail to MK doing a stroll for an hour or two a day. Then for strolling the resort to a quick service. We could even do our dining outside at Gasparilla's. This would not work for some but would for us.

But, if I knew I could get him from the outside entrance to our resort room, would ease my mind. Our trip is booked on DVC points that have been canceled twice now.

I love to have ideas from others that understand as the poster did. I just wish that Disney could be brainstorming because even the smallest thing could help many of us.

Would he be able to see well enough through the rain cover to be satisfied? Doesn't it get hot and stuffy under there after a while? It would have to be on the whole time - not sure how you get through security like that? Just things to think about - not saying it's a bad idea.

We have postponed our trip 4 times now and will probably be doing so a 5th time (May 2021). Our daughter will wear a mask for up to 30 minutes before she needs a break. That is after months of practice at home, school, in OT... It gets her through the school bus ride, at school (they get frequent mask free breaks) and trips to the grocery store but it would not get get her through the airport, the plane ride and the transportation to the resort. She has made great progress but I don't think we are ever going to get to the point of wearing one for more than 30-45 minutes at a time. We know that a Disney trip just isn't in the cards for us right now.

As a special needs mom, I agree that any options they could give us would be so helpful. But I hate to say that many others don’t quite understand how much it would mean to us to have our little ones go back to Disney and that being the reason we are so eager to find a plan that could work for us.

People can understand what it would mean to you and still disagree with the idea of allowing "options" (read: exceptions) to the rule. Particularly with something like this, where the wearer isn't the one benefiting directly, and where a person can be contagious but not even know it, there are two competing sets of needs that bump up against each other in a big way. Your family's health issues preclude mask-wearing; my family's health issues require it. Someone's family is going to lose in this scenario, unfortunately, putting Disney in the uncomfortable situation of trying to decide which policy hurts the fewest number of people. Given the number of people who look for a way to skirt rules, that means needing to be fairly draconian and zero-tolerance about masks for everyone at the parks. That doesn't mean that people advocating against exceptions don't understand what it would mean for your family to be able to go back to Disney - it's just that we also need to make sure that our families stay as safe as possible so that we can also enjoy the parks. Believe me, we all want to be able to feel the world melt away right now, with all the stress - medical and otherwise - fading into the background!

People can understand what it would mean to you and still disagree with the idea of allowing "options" (read: exceptions) to the rule. Particularly with something like this, where the wearer isn't the one benefiting directly, and where a person can be contagious but not even know it, there are two competing sets of needs that bump up against each other in a big way. Your family's health issues preclude mask-wearing; my family's health issues require it. Someone's family is going to lose in this scenario, unfortunately, putting Disney in the uncomfortable situation of trying to decide which policy hurts the fewest number of people. Given the number of people who look for a way to skirt rules, that means needing to be fairly draconian and zero-tolerance about masks for everyone at the parks. That doesn't mean that people advocating against exceptions don't understand what it would mean for your family to be able to go back to Disney - it's just that we also need to make sure that our families stay as safe as possible so that we can also enjoy the parks. Believe me, we all want to be able to feel the world melt away right now, with all the stress - medical and otherwise - fading into the background!

Actually this is exactly what I mean. I’m not saying that we should be allowed to bring our children back to the park without wearing masks as of right now - I am aware that there’s a mask mandate. When I talked about people not understanding, I was trying to connect with a fellow special-needs mom.... not have someone trying to tell me what I’m talking about.

This is why people in my situation are continuously canceling and rescheduling our trips because we understand and will abide by the rules, Regulation in Shanghai has already changed with guest required To wear a mask only when they’re not able to social distance, and that change happened fairly quickly, When the time comes for the United States parks to make changes slightly to become more lenient ....(I’m not sure When) but Disney Might just give “options” to families like ours.

I am not the person who showed up to Disney with my child demanding to be let in regardless of the rules. That was someone else, so I think you can redirect this elsewhere.

I'd suggest going to Legoland instead. If she's under 8, no mask required, and they do make exceptions. When they re-opened in June, masks were only recommended. They had to require them per Polk County's order after July 7th. Polk County's order clearly gives ADA exemptions. All the county orders do, but not all businesses adhere to that.

But keep in mind the more people are exempted from masks, the more exposed your daughter is to Covid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!