• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Speaking of adding on.... some questions

BWVDenise

I believe in something, I just don't know what it
To those who have.... do you buy the exact number of points that you predict you will need, or do you round up? I am thinking of purchasing enough points to go to HH every other year (so, half of what I'll need for a six nite stay in a 2 bdrm). Should I take into consideration other factors such as resale-ability & the size of the contract (banish the thought, but you never know)? What else should be taken into consideration before we settle on a specific number of points as an add-on? (I'm still working on talking dh into this!!--wish me luck!) ;)

....even now

I would suggest buying what you can foresee as your needs and round up. I doubt you'll find many here who find they ever have too many points!

I would not build in a "resale factor", unless you think that is a likelyhood.

If you do find that you have a few more points each year than you really need, you can always splurge every few years and add an extra day or two to your trip. Actually, it's more likely that after a few trips you'll discover that you wish you had a few more points and will be looking at an add-on! Enjoy!

Doc DVC Board Co-Moderator
doc@wdwinfo.com

I agree with Doc, you may want to consider rounding up a minimal amount and I don't think resale has much to do with it. The only point would be if you're close to 150 anyway, buy the 150. However, since you state you are looking at about half of the points needed for a 2 BR and assuming you'd avoid the Sat night, that would be around 100 points (200 every other year). With the extra 6 points per year and the flexibility to get a smaller room at times and maybe only stay the 5 nights some years you could enjoy some of the surrounding areas like Savannah or Charleston, you likely don't need more extra than that.

Though everyone on this board knows I'm not a big proponent of using DVC to exchange, HH is the perfect area for that purpose due to the very low off season points costs as low as 55 points for a studio week. If you have any plans to use DVC for exchanging, you might want to consider an extra few points to accomodate that, maybe another 20 or so beyond what I discussed above. Owning HH and OKW are the best IF you are exchanging.

One other consideration, blasphemy I know, is to consider a non DVC timeshare on HH. You can get a Marriott 2 BR for about the cost of the 100 points and have it every year. You can rent or exchange the years you don't need and even have a bonus week that you could use off season. The benefits of the bonus week depend on your schedule and flexibiltiy but can be very good if you can travel off season or even fringe season. Of course you could look at an Oceanfront resort but it would be much more expensive. Owning Marriott complements DVC nicely as several on this board can attest. Good luck.

Dean

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter