Space Shuttle Launch In July

WEDWDW

DIS Veteran
Since the Space Shuttle launch has already been postponed twice,are the chances very good that it will be launched on July 12 as scheduled or is there a fairly good chance it will be postponed a third time?Thanks. :)

I wouldn't count on it. Even if everything mechanical is OK, there's always the chance for bad weather.

I don't know, but I hope it goes off without a hitch. :cheer2:

WEDWDW said:
Since the Space Shuttle launch has already been postponed twice,are the chances very good that it will be launched on July 12 as scheduled or is there a fairly good chance it will be postponed a third time?Thanks. :)
I'm glad you posted this. I didn't know that there was a launch scheduled on july 12th. We will be at disney on july 12th so maybe we will take a drive closer to watch. Keeping my fingers crossed that the launch will take place on july 12th. Do you have any idea what time of the day or night that the launch is scheduled?

The scheduled launch time is 3:45 PM EST.I scheduled short trips for the two previously announced dates and had to cancel them and already had a trip scheduled for July 1-9.I think I am just going to keep those dates and hopefully see a future launch.I am just getting tired of "chasing" the changing launch date.LOL :)

WEDWDW said:
The scheduled launch time is 3:45 PM EST.I scheduled short trips for the two previously announced dates and had to cancel them and already had a trip scheduled for July 1-9.I think I am just going to keep those dates and hopefully see a future launch.I am just getting tired of "chasing" the changing launch date.LOL :)
thank you for the info. :)

NASA is being extremely prudent & careful with the launch preparations. The shuttle was just moved back into the VAB for further work.

The new director seems to be giving strong direction that all the bases WILL be covered before the Discovery launches again.

Good for him.

July 12th is a firm launch date.

Today.

Tomorrow, who knows?

Aahhhh-here is a trip down memory lane. I can remember going to watch a shuttle launch twice. Both times were in the early 80's and we could get SO close. Just across that lake that is near the launch pad. We would drive up from West Palm Beach the night before with a cooler and a car full of people. Sleep in the car and wake up in time for the launch. It was quite the party. No security what so ever.

Karen

So if the shuttle launches on July 12th what is our best way to see it? We'll be on vacation then and it would be pretty cool for the kids to see it.

If you can drive and do not have a KSC launch pass, there are many areas along US 1 in Titusville, the Bennett Causeway (SR A1A) leading to Port Canaveral fro the west, Jetty Park (the south side of the Port). If you are trying to be there, plan to be there a few hours ahead of time, especially if going to the Park.

I doubt it will launch July 12. I offer no real proof, but it's just a hunch. I believe they are still trouble-shooting too many things. The time spent getting ready for the Return to Space might have been better served coming up with a new launch vehicle. But hey, what do I know. ;)

Well,I found out today that I may be able to change my vacation dates from July 1-9 to July 9-16.I have already made all of my travel reservations-WDW resort,airline,Advanced Dining,KTTK tour,etc.Should I go to the trouble of changing everything and hoping the Space Shuttle launches sometime that week or just stay with my original dates.I will also miss all of the Fourth of July fireworks if I change dates.There is a Delta 2 launch scheduled for July 1 and I thought I could see that on my trip since I have never seen a rocket launch.I know it would not be nearly as exciting as a Space Shuttle launch,but it would be exciting for me I am sure.How reliable are the Delta 2 launch dates?Should I change dates?Thanks for any advice. :) :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter