Space restaurant

Meaning holistically in the Disney realm?

Disney's play on timeline phrases is tiring. Just market an upcoming attraction as coming in the next decade and they'll be covered.

I'm very disappointed in this cause I'll be there the end of December and beginning of January, I thought I really had a shot at it but oh well. It's very rare that any major project make their deadline and with so much construction already going on, I'm sure Disney wanted to focus all their resources on ensuring ROTR is definitely done on time and then the other projects like space 220 get delayed even more. But u are correct, it is the play on words that Disney is doing that makes it so frustrating. They could've easily just announced an upcoming space 220 restaurant in 2020 and been done with it until they had a hard date.

It's very rare that any major project make their deadline and with so much construction already going on, I'm sure Disney wanted to focus all their resources on ensuring ROTR is definitely done on time and then the other projects like space 220 get delayed even more.

I don't question the amount of construction being massive. But, I do question how they develop these timelines prior to going out to the public. It's OK to share resources, but you need take that into full account when you develop the project schedule(s).

The positive side? I think the final products will be fantastic so this is just part of the waiting pain.

I'm a project manager for commercial construction so I know how these schedules and dates are built and decided on, I do them myself for major projects. That's why for me its extremely frustrating to see Disney play on words like they do, they damn well know better from the beginning. I dont know if they do it for advertising or to try and manipulate bookings or if it's just a type of gimmick for self promotion. Either way, they originally announced by end of 2019 and at the time of announcement, that was a really big window for them to hit and now that it's been pushed back past 2019 just shows they are prematurely releasing dates.

I'm a project manager for commercial construction so I know how these schedules and dates are built and decided on, I do them myself for major projects. That's why for me its extremely frustrating to see Disney play on words like they do, they damn well know better from the beginning. I dont know if they do it for advertising or to try and manipulate bookings or if it's just a type of gimmick for self promotion. Either way, they originally announced by end of 2019 and at the time of announcement, that was a really big window for them to hit and now that it's been pushed back past 2019 just shows they are prematurely releasing dates.

In my career, I was a project manager (PMP certified) for a semiconductor metrology and energy storage company, so I also know how to build realistic schedules (even ones that don't have a strong baseline due to the newness of the technology). But, there is something amiss with these latest trends I'm seeing at WDW. I personally sense it is "imposed deadline syndrome" which can disrupt even the best project plans.

I think it might be more simple than that. It's a BIG company. I'd bet marketing never has any sort of direct conversation with any true project manager, and therefore the timelines are never accurate to begin with.

I think it might be more simple than that. It's a BIG company. I'd bet marketing never has any sort of direct conversation with any true project manager, and therefore the timelines are never accurate to begin with.

A very distinct possibility. Or Marketing dictates the timeline and then imposes the deadline to the PM team who are left with unrealistic build schedules. I've been on both sides of that fence for many projects and only through my failures did I eventually learn how to challenge the C-levels.

When it comes to releasing an opening date you can guarantee there are several meetings between construction and marketing, that's not something that gets overlooked. Marketing wouldn't even know where to begin without talking with them first. There are a lot of reasons this happens but without actually working there it's just merely a guess on our part. But I can give you some of the main reasons this happens with construction. One of the main reasons that affect schedule is because the original delivery date of specific materials gets delayed, contractors or Disney either one can control delays from suppliers. If they order a specific part that takes 6 months to get and then the supplier calls and says its going to take another 2 months, there is absolutely nothing Disney or contractors can do, they cant just cancel and go with another vendor because it's a special part that takes 6+ months to get so they are at the mercy of the vendor when it comes to very specific materials. They also add in a specific % for inefficiencies due to weather, holidays, extreme heat, etc. but sometimes the % isnt enough especially if a hurricane or major weather events occurred after they released their date. Another reason and one that happens a lot is simply over commitment from the contractors. When your trying to figure out how much work you can get done months and months in advance its very easy to over commit as a contractor especially when being asked by the Disney site manager who hired you. I could go on about reasons why but like I said, unless we actually work there, it's just a guess. But the point of the previous posts are more about why Disney keeps doing a play on the wording instead of just being upfront and honest so people can actually plan their trip accordingly.

I have to wonder how much of the delay is due to the unusually low unemployment rate. I know that projects around here have experienced delays due to a lack of qualified subs.

I have to wonder how much of the delay is due to the unusually low unemployment rate. I know that projects around here have experienced delays due to a lack of qualified subs.

You are correct, this is definitely a big issue. With the amount of construction that Disney and Universal are doing not to mention other non park related projects plus your standard maintenance for the state, I'm sure it's very hard to get enough qualified contractors to cover everything. This is what I was talking about in my earlier post about Disney focusing mainly on getting SWGE open on time and using the majority of their resources at HS and lacking on other projects like space 220. Especially since there is so much work rite now in the mid-west and a lot of the southern construction workers prefer to work up here because of the much higher rates, we pay over double the hourly rate most contractors in Florida pay. Not so much at the moment but just recently we literally had 1000's of travelers from the southern states working up here for most of the year. I've even had offers to work in Florida and still get paid my hourly rate from here. I use to run work for one of Florida's major contractors that also has a satellite office up here. So tempting to move but not sure I can handle the extreme summer heat.

Early 2020... that's January/February, right? Right? Fingers crossed for my March trip.

Still not sure what "global cuisine" is going to mean in the end, but it is interesting that breakfast will be an option. Hadn't considered that.
I believe February is the target.

We’re there early Feb so hoping for a bit earlier than late Feb for the opening! With this and Runaway railway being pushed back (from when we booked) I’m a little sad as I won’t be back for 2 years.
Fingers crossed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter