Southwest Credit card

Be careful on this. If you're not going to pay off the $2k right away, you're really not going to get the full benefit of the bonus points. The points themselves are worth only about a penny a piece. 50,000 points then is worth about $500 towards travel. Your APR will likely be around 18%. So if you start paying 18% interest on your balance, you'll be spinning your wheels.

They are actually worth about 1.5 cents, so about $750 (at least that's what the internet says).

As with all CC rewards though, you're correct that paying interest on the purchases will eat away a good deal of your earnings.

I was just looking into this today and have a question as well.

We are heading down to WDW in October, and if I apply and am approved for the SW card, I could use it to pay off our balance with Disney for the room and get some groceries and hit that $2k mark right away. I'm not worried about carrying a balance, as I already have the funds to payoff the room, I just haven't yet, and the 50k points means our flights would be completely free, but I guess it just seems too easy? Is there anything I'm missing here?

I was just looking into this today and have a question as well.

We are heading down to WDW in October, and if I apply and am approved for the SW card, I could use it to pay off our balance with Disney for the room and get some groceries and hit that $2k mark right away. I'm not worried about carrying a balance, as I already have the funds to payoff the room, I just haven't yet, and the 50k points means our flights would be completely free, but I guess it just seems too easy? Is there anything I'm missing here?
It is that easy (assuming you have the funds to pay off the balance)! Just don't forget about the Annual Fee for the Southwest Card ($99/year for Premier or $69/year for Plus).

also be aware of timing..... I hit my min. spend last month to get 50k....still haven't gotten that bonus yet in RR acct. I can see it, but Chase says it may take another 6-8 weeks to 'process the bonus points through'..... (never had this long a wait before,something to be aware of when buying tickets.

also be aware of timing..... I hit my min. spend last month to get 50k....still haven't gotten that bonus yet in RR acct. I can see it, but Chase says it may take another 6-8 weeks to 'process the bonus points through'..... (never had this long a wait before,something to be aware of when buying tickets.
We've observed that, if you hit the spend requirement in the last 7 days of your billing cycle, the bonus points won't post until your next bill. Some folks say it's more like 4 or 5 days, so there's no official word on how it works.

Yeah next time I need to pay close attention to timing..... though mine came through (finally) but about a week or more after the regular spend points came thru..... just odd timing

Does anyone know how long it takes for points to be put into your account after you make (and pay for) the $2000 in charges for this promotion. Southwest's website says "allow up to 8 weeks" but does anyone know if it really takes that long? Thanks.

Reporting back to answer my own question in case it helps others. I applied for the Southwest card on January 28. I received the card on February 3. I quickly made $2000 of qualifying purchases by buying several big gift cards at local merchants (Disney gift cards too of course!). I then pre-paid the amount charged to my card BEFORE I ever got the credit card bill. When my billing cycle finally ended on February 22, my amount due was $0 and they awarded all my Rapid Reward bonus points into my account on February 23. I've already used my points to buy tickets to Orlando this summer. Whoo Hoo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!