Southwest Credit card

LaurieA

Mouseketeer
Is 50,000 points the usual sign on bonus for southwest? I want to apply for a card.
I also searched and cant seem to find what the lowest credit score for applying is. I am rebuilding my credit so not too great but not awful.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what their lowest credit score is, but I got my card with a 650 Fico score, if I remember correctly. And the 50k deal comes out frequently, but they have other offers that aren't as good, too. Just make sure you pay the 2k within the first 3 months or you won't get the points. I've paid for two sets of flights with those points! :)

Sometimes the bonus is 25k, sometimes it is 40k and others - like now - is 50k.

I've never seen it higher than 50k.

Can't help you on the score needed....

I'm not sure what their lowest credit score is, but I got my card with a 650 Fico score, if I remember correctly. And the 50k deal comes out frequently, but they have other offers that aren't as good, too. Just make sure you pay the 2k within the first 3 months or you won't get the points. I've paid for two sets of flights with those points! :)

Do you mean charge the $2K? You don't have to actually pay it off to get the points.

You have 3 months to charge $2,000.00 worth of goods. As long as you are current with at least paying the minimum balance due you should be OK.

Do you mean charge the $2K? You don't have to actually pay it off to get the points.

Yes, my bad! I was not 100% paying attention to wording because I was at work and got a phone call. I'm sorry! But yes, you just have to charge the $2k, you do NOT have to pay it back right away to get the points. I paid mine off in chunks so I'd have the card for vacation.

Based on records, 50k is the highest offered for the Southwest Plus Card.
As for Southwest Premier, 60k is the highest offered(currently 50k)
Southwest business card is at 60k, and is currently the highest.

As for credit scores and such, it really depends on everything. Your relationship with Chase, your income, and your score.
I applied for some premium card with chase with a low 700 score. I do have a good relationship with Chase though.

Yes, my bad! I was not 100% paying attention to wording because I was at work and got a phone call. I'm sorry! But yes, you just have to charge the $2k, you do NOT have to pay it back right away to get the points. I paid mine off in chunks so I'd have the card for vacation.
:teacher:..... I'm gonna pop this in here,just because it's a good idea..... Good to rebuild credit- Good to choose a card that can help you do that.... getting into the bonus rewards game while trying to rebuild..... be very careful.:teacher: rewards don't come for free,and you MUST be able to COMFORTABLY hit that spend within a time period.It's really easy to view cc's with bonuses as low hanging fruit,and an easy way to do both, but if you've had credit problems in the past,and know for sure you'll NOT be able to pay that spend off asap, then you are likely getting into too much too fast. Every cent you spend to pay the annual fees, hit the spend, pay fees if you don't pay in full before it's due (the entire amount) is just losing money. Not saying you shouldn't,I'm saying be CAREFUL. The key to churning well is a firm grasp on your own finances,first and foremost.:teacher: off soapbox...go forth and do whatever....:thumbsup2

:teacher:..... I'm gonna pop this in here,just because it's a good idea..... Good to rebuild credit- Good to choose a card that can help you do that.... getting into the bonus rewards game while trying to rebuild..... be very careful.:teacher: rewards don't come for free,and you MUST be able to COMFORTABLY hit that spend within a time period.It's really easy to view cc's with bonuses as low hanging fruit,and an easy way to do both, but if you've had credit problems in the past,and know for sure you'll NOT be able to pay that spend off asap, then you are likely getting into too much too fast. Every cent you spend to pay the annual fees, hit the spend, pay fees if you don't pay in full before it's due (the entire amount) is just losing money. Not saying you shouldn't,I'm saying be CAREFUL. The key to churning well is a firm grasp on your own finances,first and foremost.:teacher: off soapbox...go forth and do whatever....:thumbsup2

It's not a soapbox. That's sound advice. I knew when I was getting the card that I was already spending that much money on my disney vacation. So I had already saved the money to pay it off. It's ALWAYS good advice to make sure you have a payment plan in place with credit cards. They're a slippery slope!

If you have a low credit score they may still give you a card but give you a very low spending limit like $7k or $8K

Does anybody know how you know for sure you're getting the 50,000 points? We just got the cards a couple days ago, one for my dh and one for me, but it doesn't say anything about the points. My DH had it about 3 yrs ago, don't know if that matters or not? Thanks!

Does anybody know how you know for sure you're getting the 50,000 points? We just got the cards a couple days ago, one for my dh and one for me, but it doesn't say anything about the points. My DH had it about 3 yrs ago, don't know if that matters or not? Thanks!

Did you apply through any of the links for 50K bonus points? If yes, then you have the offer but to be sure, call the customer service # on the card and they'll confirm it for you. But, I don't think you can combine your points with your husband's to get to 110K points.

Last edited:

You can send a CS agent a secure message through the Chase website to confirm your bonus. I even applied under the 40k bonus earlier this month before the 50k came out and they were able to honor the 50k bonus.

You won't be able to get the companion pass though as it has to be under the same RR account.

Does anyone know how long it takes for points to be put into your account after you make (and pay for) the $2000 in charges for this promotion. Southwest's website says "allow up to 8 weeks" but does anyone know if it really takes that long? Thanks.

They usually show up in your rapid rewards account a couple of days after they show up on your monthly billing statement.

Does anyone know how long it takes for points to be put into your account after you make (and pay for) the $2000 in charges for this promotion. Southwest's website says "allow up to 8 weeks" but does anyone know if it really takes that long? Thanks.
Let me check to see. I just got a second card (had the premier, added the plus) so that I can work toward companion status and my 50k for that card posted recently. Let me see how long it was between when I hit $2k & when the points posted.

My husband and I each have the SW cards and it's best if you can pay without carrying a balance from month to month. We are taking our 6th round trip flight each in April. All free, except for the $5.60 each fee per ticket. I set our accounts up online and book his ticket out of his account and my ticket out of mine. There is a fee each year to have the card but you are awarded some points in October or maybe it's on your anniversary, I'm not really sure I've had my card for several years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter