• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Southwest boarding

sherreis

DIS Veteran
Hi. We leave in 13 days for our vacation. It's been awhile since we've flown Southwest. We didn't book the early-bird check in. I plan on getting online at exactly 24 hrs prior to flight and have someone do the same while we're away.

Can you explain the boarding groups and numbers? Do people just place themselves in line in the right numerical order???? :confused3

Just hoping that we each get to sit with one of our kids, especially, the 9 yr old who has trouble with his ears when we fly.

When you check in online you will be given a lettered and numbered boarding pass. There are 3 boarding letters ; A,B and C. They assign group letters according to when you check in. The numbers are also assigned in the same way. For instance if you have 5 people in your group and check in early enough, you might be assigned to check in in the "A" group, and your family will have the numbers A15, A16, A17, A18 ,A19 and A20. There are signs/posts with these numbers on them- you just take your family up there when your group is boarding and stand where your numbers would be. Most people are good about standing where they're supposed to.

If you check in 24 hours before hand, you should be fine- I really wouldn't worry about it. As long as your in the front of the "B" group you'll be good. Good luck!

Anyone who paid for Early Bird Check In will be checked in and given boarding pass numbers before yours. That cuts down on the odds that you will get A passes at 24 hours.

Even if you are in the B group, head for the back of the plane and you will likely get each child seated beside a parent, although all four might not be together.

Were it me, and I knew one of my kids needed someone to sit with him, I'd buy EBCI just for him and myself in a heartbeat - just to be sure. It would only be $20 for the two of us - a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost of the trip.

Be sure to be online right at T-24 or you may be bumped back faster that you expect. And always have a backup plan (blackberry?). The rule with technology - if anything can go wrong it will, and it will do so at the most inconvenient time possible.

Judging by your ticker, you're flying at one of the busiest times of year. I worry you may have bigger issues flying home than down if it's right after Thanksgiving. When are you returning?

Were it me, and I knew one of my kids needed someone to sit with him, I'd buy EBCI just for him and myself in a heartbeat - just to be sure. It would only be $20 for the two of us - a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost of the trip.

Just to clarify, it would be $40 for the 2 of you, assuming you were doing EBCI BOTH ways.. It's $10 per person, per direction..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter