Southwest Air going to Hawaii

Never quite understood the first class board first concept, if you have a reserved seat and no need to fight for bin space, why sit on the plan an extra 20 minutes
I've been flying first for the past 3 trips on delta, just because i have the points. And you get a free drink when you board so you can sip it and look at all the peons boarding after you while you luxuriate with your extra leg room, guaranteed overhead space, and mai-tai. LOL

But, yes, you have to sit there, though there's no reason you have to board with the first class people. The real benefit for me comes at the other end, especially when you have a short layover. You don't have to wait 20 minutes to get off the plane. I normally sit in the very back of the plane and it's just infuriating how long it takes people to get their crap from the overhead bins. It's like christmas for them or something "ooh, pretty bag! Oh, it's MINE??? yay. Maybe I have another one up there....oh yes!!! I do!!!"

The announcement was that they would be selling tickets starting in 2018. That strongly suggests they won't begin flying to Hawaii until 2019.

Southwest only flies Boeing 737s. It is part of their business strategy. Any Southwest pilot can fly any Southwest plane. There are several different variations of the 737.

Initial service to Hawaii is expected to use the Boeing 737-800 series. Once they get them, Southwest intends to switch Hawaii routes to use the Boeing 737 MAX series. The MAX series is more fuel efficient and has a longer range.

According to Wikipedia, the Boeing 737-800 has a range of 3,010 nautical miles (3,464 miles). The 737 MAX has a range of 3,825 nautical miles (4,402 miles).

To put that in perspective, the distance from Honolulu (HNL) to Las Vegas is 2,763 miles. Honolulu to Phoenix is 2,918 miles. Salt Lake City is 2,994 miles. My educated guess is that those airports are the furthest possible until Southwest gets the MAX. While those are in play, expect most of the Hawaii flights to come from secondary airports in California (Oakland, Ontario, Burbank, Sacramento).

With the MAX, they might consider Dallas-Love Field (3,796 miles to HNL), Minneapolis-St Paul (3,972 miles), or Chicago-Midway (pushing it at 4,253 miles). Sadly for you, Baltimore (BWI) is not possible, as it's 4,856 miles.

As for you other questions, I'd say there's zero chance that Southwest will be adding first class. Southwest does offer satellite-based WIFI on their Boeing 737-800 series aircraft. That service includes entertainment. They do not have in-seat power, although that's less of an issue today since many hand-held tablets get great battery life.

Although I looked, I can't find a source that regarding if Southwest's Boeing 737 MAX aircraft will have in-seat power.

Sources:
Aircraft specifics: http://www.avgeekery.com/breaking-southwest-airlines-announces-hawaii-service-to-begin-in-2018/
Boeing 737 article on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737

Interesting info, thanks! I was thinking more selfishly from a comfort factor. 2-4-2 seating is just better for DH and I on that long of a flight. I'm also meh about the use your own device and entertainment options currently on Southwest. It's fine for the shorter haul flights, like Buffalo to Orlando which I fly frequently with Southwest. But that doesn't compare to the free seatback entertainment options on Delta for the HNL flight - its free (no need to purchase wifi), hundreds of options, no device to hold or take up room on a tray table, and no need for the in-seat power or extra battery source. My iPad and iPhone have good battery life, but I wouldn't be confident in using it for 10+ hours straight including the first leg and layover time. An external battery would be an option, but just another thing to bring. So, just thinking out loud (in type? lol) about whether Southwest could/would provide any "comfort enhancements" on these. For me personally, I'd probably still opt for Delta unless the fare difference was significant.

I overheard a pilot on my SWA flight this weekend say they will not have first class for the Hawaii flights so they can use they planes anywhere they fly. I did not ask about flights from the mainland to Hawaii or where they'd originate.

I think one of SWA's main hubs is BWI, isn't it? I wonder if they'll do nonstop flights out of BWI. That would be a win for us east coasters.

Did they say anything about what type of aircraft they will be flying to Hawaii? With the flight being so long, I really prefer the 2-4-2 seat configuration which I know can be found on the Airbus 330. I think only Delta flies that to HNL currently? Also, I don't think the Southwest planes I've been on have in-seat power and the free entertainment is through your own device. Curious too if they'd have a "first class" depending on the plane type? So many questions! lol!

Not going to happen. Southwest is not going to fly anything except 737s. The 737 8 Max just came out which has a better range and can be certified for flights across the pacific. That being said, no way will it have the range to fly to BWI or MDW. DEN will even be a stretch. Look for the flights to be out of OAK and maybe PHX. They will also need to adjust to allow for red eyes, because there in not a feasible way for a flight to leave HNL arrive on the west coast and connect to the east coast with the time differential

Ohhhhh so lax ?

Do they include suitcases in price?

Any food or like AA buy if want to

Do you mind commenting on here as soon as you know something

Thank you

2 free at checkin. 1 free and personal item walk in the plane. I would say you will only get the iver 2 .5 hour pack. Means crackers, chips, cookies for free. Peanuts, pretzels as well.

Alaska has been using the 737s for a few years now, Aloha used to use them. Hawaiian is switching to smaller planes for the west coast. Its is what the west coast will see in the future, gives airlines ability to land at more places than just Honolulu. I am guessing Hawaiian will be starting up more Midwest locations to use the A330s, which are really great planes, but not needed for the west coast

Posters on FT say LAS and PHX are in range. Houston and Dallas might be possible, maybe not.

I've been flying first for the past 3 trips on delta, just because i have the points. And you get a free drink when you board so you can sip it and look at all the peons boarding after you while you luxuriate with your extra leg room, guaranteed overhead space, and mai-tai. LOL
I've only flow 1st on Hawaiian, and the 1st class cabin is separate from the main cabin so the only people walking past you are other 1st class passengers and staff. If I was flying in a 1st class seat in the main cabin, I'd probably get on last since it's awkward.

I don't think SW is happening in time for my summer trip. Beatofhawaii is a good site that monitors all things HI! They sent an email the other day stating doesn't look good for this summer...or put it to you this way, the competition we were hoping to see from other airlines won't be happening anytime soon. maybe spring but then who wants to take a chance of sitting there in april with no ticket for a summer trip? I think I will fly SW from Pittsburgh to SNA, few days in DL, then HA to Honolulu and then home on Delta straight with 1 stop

I've only flow 1st on Hawaiian, and the 1st class cabin is separate from the main cabin so the only people walking past you are other 1st class passengers and staff. If I was flying in a 1st class seat in the main cabin, I'd probably get on last since it's awkward.
It is awkward. I was just being silly about it. Usually my son and I are sitting there giggling like little girls over all our space, and our drinks, and how fun it is sitting in first class. We totally fail at being all cool about it. But the last two times, by the time the end of the plane was boarding they were shoving baggage up in the overheads from the main cabin, so you have to really get on first if you want that guaranteed overhead space. When I flew out of MSP the first cabin was at the front separate so it wasn't as weird.

It is awkward. I was just being silly about it. Usually my son and I are sitting there giggling like little girls over all our space, and our drinks, and how fun it is sitting in first class. We totally fail at being all cool about it. But the last two times, by the time the end of the plane was boarding they were shoving baggage up in the overheads from the main cabin, so you have to really get on first if you want that guaranteed overhead space. When I flew out of MSP the first cabin was at the front separate so it wasn't as weird.
Oh, I understood you were just having fun, and I laughed when I read your post. :) I like 1st class coming back to Hawaii but not so much going to the East Coast because I'll be asleep most of the time and can't enjoy it.

Whooo Hoooo! So excited to hear SW is finally going to start service to HI. Any of my three closest airports (SJC, SFO, or OAK) are likely to have the direct flights. Love it! I see a lot more HI in my families future.

Whooo Hoooo! So excited to hear SW is finally going to start service to HI. Any of my three closest airports (SJC, SFO, or OAK) are likely to have the direct flights. Love it! I see a lot more HI in my families future.

Yeah, but when? They've released their flights through Aug 6 2018 and no flights to Hawaii yet.

I really would like, now that Island Air is going, for someone like southwest to jump in with small interisland flights, for cheap. A larger carrier could do that.

I really would like, now that Island Air is going, for someone like southwest to jump in with small interisland flights, for cheap. A larger carrier could do that.

OH MAN, YES PLEASE!!!!! I love Hawaiian Airlines but it would be nice to have some options. At least a few years ago Aloha Airlines provided some choice for a decent price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter