Sound Sensitive Child - Fireworks - HELP

TRACEY_72786

Earning My Ears
Hello all.
My daughter, 11, will be going to WDW in about a month. We have been a NUMBER of times with her, and the fireworks are always an issue. She has been sensitive since she was very tiny. We usually have grandparents who will take her back to the room, into a shop, or to the theater while the show continues. Her 4-year-old brother, myself, and my husband love the fireworks shows. So we do not want to miss it. Back in November, we went for the Christmas Party and did not have additional help. So we brought noise-canceling headphones, earbuds for music, etc. We even practiced weeks before how she could handle the situation. We took her against Casey's and placed her under the awning so she was covered, we could still see, and put her earbuds in her ears with the headphones on top. She still was not okay. My husband had to miss the show and bring her into Casey's, just feet away from where she was. She just felt safer inside. We are going soon, but she does not know as it is a surprise. Her therapist was working on these sensitivities, but she still does not feel comfortable watching a show. We tried for July 4th.

Suggestions?
Is there somewhere in MK where she can be inside and feel safe, but we can still experience the show?

Thanks in advance.

just saw that she need to be inside some where I do not know of a place inside the MK but the contrary hotel has a restutont on the top that you could eat at and see them and be inside,

Hello all.
My daughter, 11, will be going to WDW in about a month. We have been a NUMBER of times with her, and the fireworks are always an issue. She has been sensitive since she was very tiny. We usually have grandparents who will take her back to the room, into a shop, or to the theater while the show continues. Her 4-year-old brother, myself, and my husband love the fireworks shows. So we do not want to miss it. Back in November, we went for the Christmas Party and did not have additional help. So we brought noise-canceling headphones, earbuds for music, etc. We even practiced weeks before how she could handle the situation. We took her against Casey's and placed her under the awning so she was covered, we could still see, and put her earbuds in her ears with the headphones on top. She still was not okay. My husband had to miss the show and bring her into Casey's, just feet away from where she was. She just felt safer inside. We are going soon, but she does not know as it is a surprise. Her therapist was working on these sensitivities, but she still does not feel comfortable watching a show. We tried for July 4th.

Suggestions?
Is there somewhere in MK where she can be inside and feel safe, but we can still experience the show?

Thanks in advance.
You may want to try a sit down restaurant like The Plaza. I’ve read that people speak well of the view from CRT but that might be too much given you are on top of the Magic there. I’m sorry that it hasn’t worked out for your family yet. Is it the fireworks or the projections or the whole show that you are looking to watch? The TTC has nice places to watch from and the music plays so it’s a nice way to see the fireworks but it’s not indoors. I hope you are able to find something that works for everyone! 😄

I imagine you will have a stroller for your 4 year old. When my kids got older we took a fairly large one. By any chance might she be able to squeeze into it? You could put on her headphones and put a blanket over it to give her her own little cocoon.

We did something like this for my daughter the year after she was afraid of everything. We called it her brave blankie. She picked it out - one of those baby muslin swaddling/receiving blankets with mermaids on it (Ariel was her favorite princess). Knowing it was there and that she had the choice in case she needed it was enough for her. I think we brought it for 2-3 years without actually using it before we finally were able to leave it home.

If you can afford it, look at booking a fireworks cruise. Incredible view, music is piped into the boat, and she can be right there with you without all of the loud popping of the fireworks.

Last year for NYE fireworks, I booked late dining reservation for the Crystal Palace Buffet. If you request a window table seating with view of fireworks when you check in… you would have a view of the Castle . They had a security guard also that monitored those benches in the front with the covered patio . I wonder if part of your family could sit outside , while one person remains at table with daughter inside. ….this scenario is not guaranteed because it could be difficult to pull off. . They seem to keep removing benches.
I have also been inside the Castle Royal Dining exactly when the fireworks were set off .. also impossible scenario Requiring lots of luck.
I also have noticed the restaurant that has Sonny Eclipse animatronic has large glass windows with views of Castle and nobody monitoring seating.

If you are staying on property and DVC member(Blue Card Member ) , BLT Top oftheWorld has reserved seating view but it is $$$ .

Would she feel safer watching from further back down Main Street, like by the train station. Being next to the wall at Casey’s I would imagine would be worse for sound sensitivity than out in the open because of the echo off the wall.

What has the therapist identified as the origin of her sensitivities?

I have sensitive hearing so I used noise reduction headphones to watch fireworks. Sudden loud booms startle me, if I can anticipate them I'm usually fine because I can push my fingers up against my ear to close the canal as best I can although for prolonged noise the noise reduction headphones allow me to enjoy whatever it is I'm watching (although I wouldn't personally use them in movie theaters where I used to plug my ears for loud sounds). However my issue is just sensitive to noise not an issue with fear of the noise.

Is your trip long enough so that you could see the fireworks twice? One parent stays with brother the first time, and the other takes sister to the hotel, or wherever she feels safe. Next night, swap parental duties.

Thanks in advance.
Been there and no there is nothing inside, in the park where you can actually watch the show.

CRT has a obstructed view of the fireworks going off behind the park but if you don't have the right table you won't see it. No projections.

Plaza seems like a good location but few seats are at tables by the windows and there will be tons of people standing in front of the windows plus you have the umbrellas/tables in front of them.

I've sat inside Cosmic Rays and you get side view of castle and a handful of fireworks, fine if you aren't looking for more than ambience. And you need a table by the glass walls.

If you want to see projections there are not many options. If only fireworks you can view from the bridge in front of Splash Mountain, sit on the wall in front of Tiki Birds, a few good spots going over by Space Mountain and while I love New Fantasyland - IT IS LOUD.

If you just want to see the fireworks a great spot is the Ferry Dock at the TTC. No noise, they pump in music and the view is great seeing how big they are.

We had many years where one of us just had to go inside a ride or show or somewhere with DS or full blown panic attack on the ground. I'd rather him feel safe and one of us miss it. Or we all left and watched from Ferry Dock.

We progressed to earplugs with headphones. We also had to use anxiety meds just prior to the show. Now we just use earplugs and he loves watching them. Far cry from years ago.

Noise cancelling headphones will not work. You should go to a gun store and look at the shooting headphones. These are much better at blocking sound.
That's what I use. Well my first were Winchester brand, can't remember what the slimmer ones I have that I use to take to the parks. Both purchased where hunting/firearm areas are. Both actually at Walmart but Bass Pro/Cabelas, etc have them as well. You don't have to go to a gun store.

I agree that you want headphones like those for shooting.
Noise cancelling headphones were developed so people could listen to their audio (music, audio books, podcasts, etc. ) without ‘outside noise’ interference.
The ones for shooting are made to deaden the sudden, sharp loud noises which would include gunshots. Peltor (3M) brand headphones are also popular. They have children’s sizes; the adult ones are used in industrial settings to deaden machine noises.

We have to leave or split up who sees fireworks on different days. We also have gotten rooms at the Poly that face the park so we can watch from our room. We tried the "hide in a stroller curled up with a blanket which didn't really work as we ended up with a terrified child. I know it is sad, they were really important to us too. While you can try, you can't count on getting the best table for dining- everyone else is also there for that same spot and everyone has a reason they need it. If you don't want to leave the park and if she is ok from inside the stores, I guess you could try someone being in the shop and seeing if you luck out and could stand by an entrance, but they aren't going to let you block the entrances/exit.

The first time my husband took my daughter in a helicopter to see how she would handle flying, she was 10 months old. To dampen the sound, he put foam earplugs in her ears and the headset for the helicopter on her.

Perhaps combining earplugs with a noise canceling headphones will work better.

A couple things. First, you could reach out to the disability folks at wdw and see if they have any suggestions or pixie dust. (407) 560-2547. Second, I know it's a surprise, but as soon as you do tell her, I'd recommend repeatedly watching videos of the show with audio on YouTube so she knows what's coming. Good luck! ❤

You could watch Harmonius from the BW/BC bridge. There's no music, so it's a less overwhelming experience. The fireworks aren't as high, but also aren't as loud.

Another option would be to do something like ride Dumbo during the fireworks. Totally different perspective and without the crushing Main Street crowd. For the MK fireworks, that crowd is a factor. I like Harmonius better anyway, and there are tons of places to watch it that aren't so crowded.

The MK dessert party is kind of indoors. You could take a look at it. It does have access to a back hallway and bathroom that might help. You could also stand near the dessert party for kind of the same outcome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!