• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sorry, Here I Go Again..... Another Question

KyleAfterAWhile

DIS Veteran
Two of the people in our party keep asking me questions about Universal. Weird, because they know I have never been. The couple who is asking me questions went before they had kids. Now they have kids ages 10 and 12.

Here is the deal and please be honest. (I am basing this on conversations I have had with them and videos on YouTube)

• They are not interested in anything related to Harry Potter. (convictions, so it is not an option)
  • The Mummy is too scary for their kids and I believe they would have convictions about it.
  • Kong is probably too scary for their youngest child.
  • The kids do not like coasters or any BIG thrills.
  • They do not allow their children to watch Simpsons.
  • Transformers and Spiderman might be too much for their kids.
  • The kids love the water, but not wet rides really.
  • Jurassic Park dinosaurs scare the youngest (probably not the Pteranadon Flyers attraction)
  • Their youngest child is scared of literally everything. Most Disney Villains scare him. He cannot watch the new Jungle Book, he is scared of the Beast in Beauty and the Beast, some of the Marvel characters are scary to him and he generally only watches cartoons or movies with dogs in it.

Is there going to be anything at all for this family to do and enjoy in the Universal Parks?

I'm a universal newbie, but have kids close in age to theirs. I guess my biggest question is why are they going? Why spend that kind of money on stuff they know their kids aren't going to enjoy? I don't mean this snarky, I'm honestly curious. I don't care for lobster. I've had it in areas where it's fresh, and people who like lobster tell me it's very good quality. I still don't like it and therefore don't spend the money on it. Plenty of other dishes that appeal to me at a seafood restaurant. Why spend that kind of money on something that just isn't your bag?

Welll....maybe the play areas might be more to their liking. There are definitely things they can do but there certainly is not a lot.

I don;t think it's the park for them. It's a shame that they are holding so firm to things without even trying but I guess it is what it is. My kids at that age had a ball. We're all about Harry Potter, the Simpsons... but the Mummy was too scary for my little guy (he got scared in line and never rode).

The Seuss area might be good for them, but it is geared younger than these kids. I would encourage them to stick with Disney or Legoland for now, and the kid are even on the old side for Legoland. They aren't the target audience for Universal.

Two of the people in our party keep asking me questions about Universal. Weird, because they know I have never been. The couple who is asking me questions went before they had kids. Now they have kids ages 10 and 12.

Here is the deal and please be honest. (I am basing this on conversations I have had with them and videos on YouTube)

• They are not interested in anything related to Harry Potter. (convictions, so it is not an option)
  • The Mummy is too scary for their kids and I believe they would have convictions about it.
  • Kong is probably too scary for their youngest child.
  • The kids do not like coasters or any BIG thrills.
  • They do not allow their children to watch Simpsons.
  • Transformers and Spiderman might be too much for their kids.
  • The kids love the water, but not wet rides really.
  • Jurassic Park dinosaurs scare the youngest (probably not the Pteranadon Flyers attraction)
  • Their youngest child is scared of literally everything. Most Disney Villains scare him. He cannot watch the new Jungle Book, he is scared of the Beast in Beauty and the Beast, some of the Marvel characters are scary to him and he generally only watches cartoons or movies with dogs in it.

Is there going to be anything at all for this family to do and enjoy in the Universal Parks?

In short - no

As others have said, I see no point in them going to maybe one area in each park (Seuss in IOA & Kids Zone in US). It is a lot of money to spend for very little return.

best bet is to go to Disney and avoid Universal.....and not allowing the Simpsons.... jeesh that's harsh, ¡Ay, caramba!

If this couple and their children in your party are going with you to Universal as part of a longer holiday focusing one Orlando, I would suggest they forego US/IOA. There is very little they would enjoy. I would have suggested some of the show type attractions but some of my favorites are scary for the youngest child. Maybe Sea World or Disney for them would be better. Meet up for dinner at City Walk.

I wonder how many times they run Animal Actors in a day? ;)

Honestly, based on that list, I don't think they would enjoy Universal. Maybe the kids could surprise them and enjoy something, but I don't think it's worth the money to find out.

Go to Disney - there is a whole list of things they would want to avoid there, too (based on the info above) - but there would also be a lot more they might enjoy.

I'm a universal newbie, but have kids close in age to theirs. I guess my biggest question is why are they going? Why spend that kind of money on stuff they know their kids aren't going to enjoy? I don't mean this snarky, I'm honestly curious. I don't care for lobster. I've had it in areas where it's fresh, and people who like lobster tell me it's very good quality. I still don't like it and therefore don't spend the money on it. Plenty of other dishes that appeal to me at a seafood restaurant. Why spend that kind of money on something that just isn't your bag?

Simple answer is, they are not paying.

best bet is to go to Disney and avoid Universal.....and not allowing the Simpsons.... jeesh that's harsh, ¡Ay, caramba!

Each family raises their kids in the way they/we see fit. I actually have no issues with their rules. At that age, I would not have allowed mine to watch it either. ;)

The Seuss area might be good for them, but it is geared younger than these kids. I would encourage them to stick with Disney or Legoland for now, and the kid are even on the old side for Legoland. They aren't the target audience for Universal.

That is my thought as well. The Seuss area is too "babyish" for a whole day. I looked at the park maps and just at first glance, I can see about 10 things total between both parks that will not scare the younger one.
Oddly enough, their mother is the one who suggested Universal as part of the "Orlando tour" trip.

I wonder how many times they run Animal Actors in a day? ;)

Honestly, based on that list, I don't think they would enjoy Universal. Maybe the kids could surprise them and enjoy something, but I don't think it's worth the money to find out.

Go to Disney - there is a whole list of things they would want to avoid there, too (based on the info above) - but there would also be a lot more they might enjoy.

LOL

We are also going to Disney. The trip originally started with 6 people going and now it has grown to 19. A good portion of the group wants to do Universal, but as I mentioned before, others want to go because they are not paying. I know, silly. (SMH) We are visiting several attractions (Universal, Disney, Legoland, Kennedy Space Center and I think the Titanic Exhibit).

By the sound of these responses, I hope they are real hungry that day, because it sounds like that will be all the entertainment they may get other than a few lighter attractions and shows.

ok, lets flip this, the rest of the party, would they do everything on this families no go list? If the answer is yes, then I see 2 options

1. Suggest they have a pool day / hang out at the resort day
2. Come with the rest of the party, but the rest of the party dont alter their touring style. The NOT FOR ME family can hang out with the rest of the party but everyone still goes on the Transformers, The Mummy, Harry Potter Land etc etc. The NOT FOR ME family wait around at the exits for the rest of party
3. Come with the rest of the party, but the rest of the party dont alter their touring style. The NOT FOR ME family go off and do their own thing and you meet up for meal times.

I agree raise your children and know what their boundaries are the way you want, but its not right that a group should have to alter their touring style and miss out on rides due to another families reluntance to go on rides

ok, lets flip this, the rest of the party, would they do everything on this families no go list? If the answer is yes, then I see 2 options

1. Suggest they have a pool day / hang out at the resort day
2. Come with the rest of the party, but the rest of the party dont alter their touring style. The NOT FOR ME family can hang out with the rest of the party but everyone still goes on the Transformers, The Mummy, Harry Potter Land etc etc. The NOT FOR ME family wait around at the exits for the rest of party
3. Come with the rest of the party, but the rest of the party dont alter their touring style. The NOT FOR ME family go off and do their own thing and you meet up for meal times.

I agree raise your children and know what their boundaries are the way you want, but its not right that a group should have to alter their touring style and miss out on rides due to another families reluntance to go on rides

Good suggestions. :thumbsup2

I do not think anybody is expecting anybody to alter their day for others nor do I think I said that. ;) I believe people will just do what they feel comfortable with and wait for everybody else, just like they would anywhere else.

19 people is a lot to corral and agree with even without those convictions. Best thing to do is agree on a few meeting times and let everyone carry on in smaller groups. Large groups are a pain to do parks with. It's like an endless discussion of what to do next (unless you have someone extra bossy with an itinerary :)).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter