Son Just Killed Video Ipod

We have had great experiences with Apples customer service.My sons Nano has bee n replaced twice.Once because it wasnt charging properly and once because he dropped pop on it and it stopped working.I doubted they would do something the second time but he had another one 4 days after he sent back to Apple.We have no extended warranty on it,so I am very happy about the way they have handled our problems.I would definately buy another product from them.
Its great that the friends were able to fix the IPOD.

familyoffive said:
Update! 3 high school friends fixed the Ipod that Apple's "Genius" couldn't. Makes you think about what the priority might be at Apple. If 15 year olds can do a repair that the trained technical staff can't, not sure why Apple labels that area "Genius!" As to wanting Apple to do something, it used to be that retailers wanted repeat business. I did not lie and say it wasn't dropped, I did not ask for a free repair. The instore Apple representative told me I was "s.o.l.!" and "It's dead!" Again, there is more profit in selling a new one rather than repairing the existing one. Just a head's up that the service wasn't there. I won't purchase another Apple product again.

Obviously, when the "Genius" told me that the Ipod was " Dead," and that I was "S.O.L." there must have been a clue that they didn't know how to fix it. I inquired about repair and they "suggested" a third party search on the internet. Yes, I have come to the conclusion, through personal experience, that Apple only wants to sell new Ipods- not repair existing ones. Again, my own personal experience. I hate to think that my "Genius" was trained for an entire week before being allowed to assess my Ipod! :scared1:

iggbees said:
where does she say that the store said that it was broken and not fixable? she said that they looked at it and because it was dropped that they couldn't touch it due to liability, not that they couldn't touch it because they didn't know how to fix it. if it was broken and they could fix it at all, even not in the store (which i have seen before, i've been an apple customer for 23 years) they would have told her so and sent it out for repair.

i'm not going to argue with anyone. if you don't like apple, then that's your opinion, personally i love the company and have never had issues with them.

Honest? The employee of the store opened the Ipod and asked his coworker and anyone else near the "Genius" counter if they wanted to see the inside of a video Ipod. I had the impression that he tried to embarrass me! They touched it, and looked inside of it. Problem? They were wrong when they told me that it was "Dead!" How could 15 year olds without a week of "Genius" training repair an item that the "Genius" pronounced "Dead"? Perhaps they require better training than a week!

familyoffive said:
Obviously, when the "Genius" told me that the Ipod was " Dead," and that I was "S.O.L." there must have been a clue that they didn't know how to fix it. I inquired about repair and they "suggested" a third party search on the internet. Yes, I have come to the conclusion, through personal experience, that Apple only wants to sell new Ipods- not repair existing ones. Again, my own personal experience. I hate to think that my "Genius" was trained for an entire week before being allowed to assess my Ipod! :scared1:

It would be cheaper for you, and less profitable for Apple, to buy a new iPod. Repair costs, especially for a mass-produced mp3 player, are very high and labour is expensive. When a product like an iPod breaks, Apple is doing you a favour telling you to buy a new one.

Cindy B said:
Did you buy the extended warranty?

You can send it to Applecare and get it fixed. Since I bought a warranty, mine would be free/no cost, but I would guuess that that Applecare would fix it for you at cost.

Interesting, my local Apple store does repair items.

we didnt buy a warranty for my husbands, and we sent his in and they gave him a free battery (which why we sent it in) all we did was pay for shipping both ways

It's very obvious that the OP is angry and is directing her anger at Apple. Personally, I love Apple and have never had a problem with their service. iPods are expensive items and in this case, broken through the fault of it's owner. I wouldn't expect Apple to repair my laptop had I dropped it, some things just aren't covered.

I do wonder though if the OP is directing her anger at the right person/people. Personally, if I bought my child a $400 toy and he broke it, my anger would be at him, not the manufacturer. Also, to follow Love and Logic principals, it would certainly stink to be the kid because now they are out a 'toy' for not caring for it properly. The kids problem, not mine. JMHO.

MAH4546 said:
It would be cheaper for you, and less profitable for Apple, to buy a new iPod. Repair costs, especially for a mass-produced mp3 player, are very high and labour is expensive. When a product like an iPod breaks, Apple is doing you a favour telling you to buy a new one.

I can't help but wonder if we're all reading the same thread? Of course, Apple did her a favor by not fixing it, if they couldn't fix it for less than $400. Her son's friends were able to fix it for free! If it could be put back into working order for free, it shouldn't have cost $400+ for Apple to do the same. In the long run, it would be less profitable for Apple to only offers the options of getting a new one. Word does get around. My DS hasn't even opened his yet, but I was leary about buying one in the 1st place. There have been threads on the DIS, since before Christmas warning purchasers to buy the extended warranty. Why, because the iPods are so unreliable. I can't help but wonder why so many are happy with how quickly Apple has sent them a new iPod both times theirs tore up in the 1st 3 months they owned it. Would you be happy with any product you bought that constantly tore up, even if it was replaced. :confused3 In my opinion, it seems cheaper for them to work on solving this problem. BTW, no company should sell a product they can't fix.

I can't resist jumping in on this one a bit. I have a Dell DJ (sadly, they are no longer made, though). I bought the Dell Complete Care warranty, and it *does* cover accidental breakage.

So, the posters who are all saying that no company would cover dropping a $300 dollar portable electronic device are wrong. Dell did when they still had a player available. They replaced my remote control for free twice under CompleteCare, once when I walked into a fence and ripped the wire out of it and the second time when I accidentally stepped on it. I admitted freely that I'd broken it myself, they sent me a new one both times and were nice about it.

Someone else I know from another board dropped their DJ in the toilet :lmao: and Dell replaced it. I've heard similar stories from other DJ owners.

Sadly, Dell stopped making the DJ, most likely because they couldn't compete with the iPod hype, which is a shame because *my* personal Dell DJ still works after being dropped 6 feet off a ladder onto a hardwood floor. I hope it has a good long time to go before it breaks, because I really don't want an iPod.

I'm not Applebashing, my DH has an iPod and a G4, both of which *I* bought for him. But I'm not surprised that the guys at the "genius" bar weren't much help. That's why we use TekServe in NYC when we have problems, because they don't blow us off and act snotty like the Apple Store "genius" folks do.

I don't think the OP expected Apple to hand her a new iPod, but they should have at least taken the time to seriously look at it and evaluate whether it could have been fixed instead of suggesting they "check the internet for a 3rd party". That really doesn't sound like the greatest of customer service. And really- s.o.l? If they really said that, that's just not cool. I would never, ever have told a customer that when I worked retail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter