Son Just Killed Video Ipod

maggiew said:

We purchased our DS an iPod for Easter. I ordered this case for it.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-50...LgmrA2GUyJx7m25OcKZt/9.0.19.1.0.8.25.7.11.7.3

Do I need to get one of the above also? I can see him dropping his. :sad2: I want to get whatever he needs to attempt to not be in a situation like the OP. I can certainly see why she's upset. :guilty: Also, can I get one anywhere besides from Apple? We're going out of town & don't have time to order one or go to their store. TIA :)

my3kids said:
Your homeowners insurance would likely actually cover it for replacement if you wanted to file the claim.
I wouldn't do it. A claim will raise your premiums, which will negate the savings.

That hasn't actually happened in our case. But, we have had the same insurance company for many many years. I read recently that when people are new customers or change companies frequently really get hit hard with increases after filing a claim.

Sounds like it wouldn't work for the OP anyway since they have a deductable on HO insurance.

familyoffive said:
My 15 yo just dropped his Ipod last night. He chipped the face and the case opens now. Went to my local Apple Store, waited 1 hour for a tech to tell me that he could not touch it, as it had no warranty after being dropped. $400.00 down the drain in less than 6 months. This is my last Apple products purchase ever. They do not even refer any service providers to attempt to repair the Ipod. But if I bought a new one today, they would offer a 10% discount. Just wanted to share my experience with Apple. :furious:

AND??? ok, so , you have a baby, drop em on the ground, gonna go back to the hospital and complain and try to get another one?
:wizard:

familyoffive said:
Having invested an hour at the store, hours on hold on the phone and Apple providing no guidance on repair options(I was transferred 7 times on the phone!), it is a lost cause. Apple is very willing to sell me a new one, so they do not support the product they market. The replacement of this item is under my deductible, so that is out. The cc insurance on my card covers the item if purchased within 50 miles of home, there is no accidental coverage, and they only extend the manufacturers warranty- already void due to the Ipod being dropped. Very expensive lesson indeed.

Other than hold time, I still don't understand why you feel this is Apple's fault. Your son dropped the IPOD. Due to labor costs being high and the ability to mass produce the IPOD when new, it is probably much cheaper for a new IPOD than to repair your existing one. I work for a capital equipment company and it is often cheaper to replace than repair. It is frustrating, but it just might not be cost effective to repair. I know I'd be frustrated in your shoes, but these things do happen and it is certainly not Apple's responsibility to repair the IPOD. It probably would cost more to repair than replace. Sorry!

KilleriMac17 said:
AND??? ok, so , you have a baby, drop em on the ground, gonna go back to the hospital and complain and try to get another one?
:wizard:

Don't, these are not the same two things. :confused3

my boyfriends video ipod broke also w/ no physical harm to it. The inner screen cracked the 2nd time he used it for no reason. apple wouldn't even TALK to us @ the store, and when I called they basically laughed at us telling us we must have dropped it or something. I was furious with the service I got so I called customer service and proceeded to tell them that my family are huge apple fans, having (between 4 of us) 4 laptops, and 4 desktops, and 4 ipods, and honestly I couldn't believe this was the service they were offering us for an object literally less than a week old, that broke for no reason. The lady actually sent us a new one, and my boyfriend now keeps it in a metal case with extra padding because he's so afraid of breaking the stupid thing- he hardly wants to even use it.

I can't say they'll be any help to you as I had to speak to about 12 people before I could get a hold of someone who wasn't laughing at my 300 piece of junk being broken within 5 days of opening it. I would NOT recommend anyone to buy an ipod. atleast not the new ones (and you can't get the old ones anymore). I've dropped my ipod before (an older one) with no issues but apparently (from what I've read) these new ones break w/o much effort at all.

tricia.

JennsBabySky said:
Other than hold time, I still don't understand why you feel this is Apple's fault. Your son dropped the IPOD. Due to labor costs being high and the ability to mass produce the IPOD when new, it is probably much cheaper for a new IPOD than to repair your existing one. I work for a capital equipment company and it is often cheaper to replace than repair. It is frustrating, but it just might not be cost effective to repair. I know I'd be frustrated in your shoes, but these things do happen and it is certainly not Apple's responsibility to repair the IPOD. It probably would cost more to repair than replace. Sorry!

You're right. After all, a consumer spends $400.00 on Apple's product and when the accident occurred the consumer contacted Apple. Yes, I spent an hour in the Apple store at my SOCAL mall, watched the all male staff ogle a young woman in spray painted jeans( high fiving each-other, exiting counters to get a better look, took 3 to answer her questions), to have a t-shirt wearing "genius" (Apple's term, not mine) tell me he had never seen the inside of a video Ipod before. I didn't ask for a free repair, they do not repair Ipods at this location. They did not know who to contact to try and get it repaired. Odd thing? Apple is the manufacturer of the product. I know that I made the mistake of purchasing this product.The way that the whole situation was handled convinced me that Apple does not need/nor want my money! Is the laptop login procedure used at this Apple store used everywhere? I wasted 10 minutes waiting to find out that I had to login to be put in line to inquire about service. Perhaps Apple could have invested in some signage that has this information in the stores. I honestly felt like I was in a coffee house, not a store(to me this is a bad thing, to others I'm sure that the stores are unique and special). My lesson learned was not to repeat this purchase.

familyoffive said:
You're right. After all, a consumer spends $400.00 on Apple's product and when the accident occurred the consumer contacted Apple. Yes, I spent an hour in the Apple store at my SOCAL mall, watched the all male staff ogle a young woman in spray painted jeans( high fiving each-other, exiting counters to get a better look, took 3 to answer her questions), to have a t-shirt wearing "genius" (Apple's term, not mine) tell me he had never seen the inside of a video Ipod before. I didn't ask for a free repair, they do not repair Ipods at this location. They did not know who to contact to try and get it repaired. Odd thing? Apple is the manufacturer of the product. I know that I made the mistake of purchasing this product.The way that the whole situation was handled convinced me that Apple does not need/nor want my money! Is the laptop login procedure used at this Apple store used everywhere? I wasted 10 minutes waiting to find out that I had to login to be put in line to inquire about service. Perhaps Apple could have invested in some signage that has this information in the stores. I honestly felt like I was in a coffee house, not a store(to me this is a bad thing, to others I'm sure that the stores are unique and special). My lesson learned was not to repeat this purchase.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/faq/

Had you done your research, you would see that folks who have not voided their warranty due to an accident, but need repair, would receive a replacement iPod (either new, used or refurbished). Apple does not repair and return the same iPod to customers. Never have. Your son dropped the iPod and "killed" it. If you sent it in to Apple, they would return it right back to you as the warranty has been voided. I'm not sure why you expect Apple to change their policies due to your son's costly mistake.

I am a long time apple customer and have been amazed with their customer service. In fact, my last ipod died just from using it so much and they replaced it for $60. Is it obvious that it was dropped? If not, try going to a different Apple Store and don't tell them it was dropped...they might do something about it.
Most companies will not do anything about incidental damage.

ETA: You can make an appointment online if you go to:

http://www.apple.com and in the drop down menu on the bottom left of the page, select the store you want, it will load the store's page, and you can click to make an appointment.

They really do make a superior product, it would be too bad for you to be
turned off by one bad experience, though it does sound pretty bad.

My DH's video ipod quit working soon after he got it.

We sent it back and received a brand new replacement. It was a hardware problem though and it wasn't dropped.

I wouldn't file a claim with my homeowner's insurance. NO WAY.

I would just chalk it up to an expensive accident.

Sorry. :grouphug:

Sorry your DS broke the iPod, but I really don't see Apple's fault here. If you bought a crystal vase and you dropped it, would you expect the store to repair it or give you a new one? If you dropped a laptop and broke the display and popped it open, would you expect that you'd get a new one there? With a computer, yes you might be able to get it repaired, because the cost may be less than a new purchase, but at $300, repairing the damage you are talking about would be more than the cost of the new device. The video display iPods have hard drives in them and are essentially mini computers. This means they are fragile. The Nano and Shuffles don't have hard drives and therefore can take a lot more abuse.

Update! 3 high school friends fixed the Ipod that Apple's "Genius" couldn't. Makes you think about what the priority might be at Apple. If 15 year olds can do a repair that the trained technical staff can't, not sure why Apple labels that area "Genius!" As to wanting Apple to do something, it used to be that retailers wanted repeat business. I did not lie and say it wasn't dropped, I did not ask for a free repair. The instore Apple representative told me I was "s.o.l.!" and "It's dead!" Again, there is more profit in selling a new one rather than repairing the existing one. Just a head's up that the service wasn't there. I won't purchase another Apple product again.

It's great they were able to fix it! :woohoo: I'm sorry you couldn't come here & vent, w/o so many feeling the need to come to the rescue of a major company. :guilty: It doesn't matter how many threads I've read here. I still don't understand that. Now, if you start bashing my family, I'll feel the need to defend them. :teeth:

familyoffive said:
Update! 3 high school friends fixed the Ipod that Apple's "Genius" couldn't. Makes you think about what the priority might be at Apple. If 15 year olds can do a repair that the trained technical staff can't, not sure why Apple labels that area "Genius!" As to wanting Apple to do something, it used to be that retailers wanted repeat business. I did not lie and say it wasn't dropped, I did not ask for a free repair. The instore Apple representative told me I was "s.o.l.!" and "It's dead!" Again, there is more profit in selling a new one rather than repairing the existing one. Just a head's up that the service wasn't there. I won't purchase another Apple product again.

um, that's because if apple's "genius" touched it and something else happened, then, um, it's apples fault. i'm sorry but your son dropping his ipod is his fault, not apple's. i've got a friend who's a "genius" at an apple store and she definitely went through a week of hardcore training to learn about how to repair things and what to do in certain cases. i'd love to see you try to retun any other mp3 player (or any thing else, like someone said before) after dropping it. i don't think ayone would take it back.

tarheelmjfan said:
We purchased our DS an iPod for Easter. I ordered this case for it.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-50...LgmrA2GUyJx7m25OcKZt/9.0.19.1.0.8.25.7.11.7.3

Do I need to get one of the above also? I can see him dropping his. :sad2: I want to get whatever he needs to attempt to not be in a situation like the OP. I can certainly see why she's upset. :guilty: Also, can I get one anywhere besides from Apple? We're going out of town & don't have time to order one or go to their store. TIA :)

Sorry, your link didn't work.

I am not sure that the case I bought for my DD would protect it if it was dropped. I bought that particular case to prevent scratches/dents, etc. I am hoping she doesn't drop it, but i know that it can get scratched up. Hence the case I bought. Also, you can still use all the features and can still see that its an iPod. The other cases that I have seen are like rubber covers and I don't think they cover the screen. That's why I purchased the shield case.

Hope that helps.

Maggie

Sorry, my link didn't work. I've pasted the description of the one I bought below. I mostly got this one, because he wanted an iPod in a cool color. He also wanted the video component. Since those iPods only come in black & white, I thought this case would be a cool cover to put over a black iPod. Obviously, I'm not the electronic junky in the family. :teeth: I'm actually pretty clueless. :blush: Thanks for your help. :)

Incase Neoprene Sleeve for iPod (Blue)
Designed for active lifestyles, the form-fitting Neoprene Sleeve provides both clear screen protection and a Click Wheel cover with play-through access.

The Incase Neoprene Sleeve is an on-the-go case that delivers durable, flexible protection for your iPod with video. Made from soft Neoprene material, the sleeve provides complete access to the menu through a Tactile-Control Click Wheel cover and center button. Enjoy your new favorite case made especially for you by the people at Incase.

Features

Clear screen protection
Tactile-Control cover/button for play-through access
Complete access to all controls
Secure closure
Access to Hold switch
Soft Neoprene
Belt or strap attachment
Specifications

Dimensions: 4.5 x 2.5 x 1.0 in./114.3 x 63.5 x 25.4 mm
Weight: 3.2 oz./90.7 g
Mfr. Part No.: CL56060

This was one item that i bought the warranty for. The first 4 months myy DD broke her ipod twice and was replaced because of the warranty.

iggbees said:
um, that's because if apple's "genius" touched it and something else happened, then, um, it's apples fault. i'm sorry but your son dropping his ipod is his fault, not apple's. i've got a friend who's a "genius" at an apple store and she definitely went through a week of hardcore training to learn about how to repair things and what to do in certain cases. i'd love to see you try to retun any other mp3 player (or any thing else, like someone said before) after dropping it. i don't think ayone would take it back.

So if someone wants to pay for a repair, the store shouldn't do it because of the liability? They told her the item was broken and not fixable, which was clearly false if someone else fixed it for her. Obviously the store didn't know how to fix it, and I believe that was her gripe.

summerrluvv said:
So if someone wants to pay for a repair, the store shouldn't do it because of the liability? They told her the item was broken and not fixable, which was clearly false if someone else fixed it for her. Obviously the store didn't know how to fix it, and I believe that was her gripe.

where does she say that the store said that it was broken and not fixable? she said that they looked at it and because it was dropped that they couldn't touch it due to liability, not that they couldn't touch it because they didn't know how to fix it. if it was broken and they could fix it at all, even not in the store (which i have seen before, i've been an apple customer for 23 years) they would have told her so and sent it out for repair.

i'm not going to argue with anyone. if you don't like apple, then that's your opinion, personally i love the company and have never had issues with them.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter