Someday is sooner than you think...a March 2011 PTR

Years ago I did the drive from Ohio. Boy thats long too. I did it once with kids and they were good, but I hope to not do it ever again. My DH actaully wanted to drive this time around...for fun. I told him he could drive and Claire and I would fly down and meet him. :rotfl2:

We are offically booked now. I am so excited. We are going for 3 nights on the 31st of March, so we'll miss you. I'm still in shock...and I think DH is in sticker shock. :lmao: All that was left for that date was Verandah rooms. We would noramlly go with the cheapest, lowest class, so this is going to luxury for us.

Did you guys see the Dream Christening this morning??? I tried to watch it on line during work, but I had to sit in the courtroom, so I couldn't listen. :mad: I will watch it over again... and again...! Quite a spectacle that's for sure!!
Jennifer Hudson is the godmother - she got her performing start working on the Disney Wonder! Kind of cool!!! I know lots of others were hoping for a bigger Disney star - like Julie Andrews. I would have LOVED that!!!

I was able to listen to it, but the video stream kept freezing up on me! :headache:

Signing on to a fellow MN report! I'm looking forward to hearing how your drive goes! I have a girl friend who did the drive at Christmas time and she said it was LONG!

Anything to get out of this cold. Brrr!

Our SB is the same week as yours and I've been TRYING my bestest to work my magicalness on DH to let us GO back to WDW.

No go.

Poo!

It won't stop me from trying!

BTW- I'm GREEN with envy that you get to go on the Magic. Simply Amazing!:worship:

I didn't get to watch the christening, but I will be this weekend, I am sure! I think it is really neat that Jennifer Hudson got her start performing on the Disney cruises and now is such a big star. :goodvibes

I missed the Dream christening but saw a replay of it online.

Your drive makes my 16 hour drive look like a cakewalk! :scared1:

Years ago I did the drive from Ohio. Boy thats long too. I did it once with kids and they were good, but I hope to not do it ever again. My DH actaully wanted to drive this time around...for fun. I told him he could drive and Claire and I would fly down and meet him. :rotfl2:

We are offically booked now. I am so excited. We are going for 3 nights on the 31st of March, so we'll miss you. I'm still in shock...and I think DH is in sticker shock. :lmao: All that was left for that date was Verandah rooms. We would noramlly go with the cheapest, lowest class, so this is going to luxury for us.
I really don't love driving, but it allows me to pack whatever I want!!! We have done a split trip a couple times, where the girls and I have flown at least one way and DH drove. Sometimes with the timing it works ourt.
We got a verandah room too - $$, but the cheap rooms sell out so fast because people want to get on the new ship!! Isn't it exciting? I'm going crazy reading all about it!

I was able to listen to it, but the video stream kept freezing up on me! :headache:
I had some trouble too, then I tried to watch later, but they'd edited it! One of the Orlando news channels had raw video footage of the whole thing, but the camera work was SO BAD!! They kept showing a lady's head instead of the action on stage...

Signing on to a fellow MN report! I'm looking forward to hearing how your drive goes! I have a girl friend who did the drive at Christmas time and she said it was LONG!

Anything to get out of this cold. Brrr!

Our SB is the same week as yours and I've been TRYING my bestest to work my magicalness on DH to let us GO back to WDW.

No go.

Poo!

It won't stop me from trying!

BTW- I'm GREEN with envy that you get to go on the Magic. Simply Amazing!:worship:
Yeah, it's a heckuva long drive!! But it's worth it! The only thing I worry about is the weather. This winter has been such a mess everywhere, I am hoping for no storms between here and FL on the way!
Keep trying on your DH - he'll come around!!! Here's some help:
pixiedust: pixiedust:

I didn't get to watch the christening, but I will be this weekend, I am sure! I think it is really neat that Jennifer Hudson got her start performing on the Disney cruises and now is such a big star. :goodvibes
It was a pretty cool show!! I got all excited! They had about every character there! Even Max, Gepetto, Pinocchio, Sully and Mike...

I missed the Dream christening but saw a replay of it online.

Your drive makes my 16 hour drive look like a cakewalk! :scared1:
It was just so cool! I should have known, but really didn't expect it to be quite such a spectacular event! It is Disney after all...

I would love a 16 hour drive! That's one day!! A really long day, but still...

So, I should probably get back to the planning stuff! I think I told you about the :drive: which will take about 24 hours.
Then we have our first night at Pop Century!!

Our plan is to arrive around dinner time - so hopefully we can get right to a room and grab some food from the food court. It looks pretty good as far as choices.
At this point, the girls will think this is it for the trip. But we won't bring all our bags in to the hotel, so they might get suspicious. We think we'll tell them that it's too far to get to Auntie Debbie's house, so we're just spending the night. Hee hee.

DH thought we should make up some t-shirts for them to wear the next morning that say going on the Disney Dream or something. I think they would figure that out right away, don't you?? I'm not sure I want to do this plan. What do you all think? Part of it is that I have to make a bunch of stuff for the FE exchange on the cruise, and I've barely started that!
So that's one way to surprise them with the cruise.

OR
We just go get some breakfast, tell them we're off to Debbie's and get back in the car and head EAST. They don't know that Debbie's house is SOUTH from Orlando!
I thought I'd keep the video camera in the front seat with me and as we got close to the port, see what happens. I'm sure they'll be reading signs (that's how Sarah figured out our AKL surprise last December) and when they see the Port Canaveral signs, they should realize...Plus, when you drive across the bridge, you can see the cruise ships in port. I hope to catch their reactions on video.

So help me decide which way to go....

Once on the cruise, we will be enjoying a Deluxe Family Stateroom with Verandah!! We've never had a verandah before, so that should be cool. These rooms are a bit bigger too! We're on Deck 9 midship, so hopefully it will be smooth sailing!
I've registered the girls for the Oceaneer's Club (the kids' club), so they can go and hang out there some. But since it's only a 3 night cruise, I expect we'll all be together most of the time.
We are set for the late dinner seating, which is 8:30. Normally I wouldn't want this, but I could only get a Palo reservation for 6:30 on night 2, so it should be okay. Disney has you go to the show before the late dinner, and I figure the kids will eat something before that, so they won't be starving. It's only for three nights, and we're planning on staying up kind of late anyway. This way we have more time in the day to do stuff!!
Three years ago when we went on a Carnival Cruise, we ate around 6, and by the end of dinner, Paige was falling asleep!!! Hopefully she'll be better this time!
Disney has a couple new shows to see, and the new dining rooms look beautiful, so I don't want to miss any! We don't know our dining rotation yet, but we will get to eat at Animator's Palate, the Royal Palace and the Enchanted Garden! Don't they just sound beautiful???
I believe I will have to find some prettier clothes to wear to dinner! Guess I HAVE to go shopping!!!

So night #1, they have the sail away party, which is always fun! Hopefully the weather will be nice to be out on deck as we sail past our summer 2010 vacation spot - Ron Jon's Cape Caribe resort! Just think, in July I was watching the Wonder and Magic go off to sea from Cocoa Beach!

We will get to check out the kids club before dinner, go to the first show and then will all eat together.
We travel all night to get to our first port of call:
Nassau, the Bahamas!
What will we do there, you ask? Well, originally, I had planned to stay on the ship. We've been twice, seen Atlantis, and shopped. I wasn't so excited to get off again, and wanted more time on the ship. Until one night, we were watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition. They sent this family to the Bahamas while they built them a new house. The family went to swim with dolphins. Sarah went NUTS!!! "I'd LOVE to do that!" She can even make the dolphin noises (that squeaky, chirpy sound).
Dave and I exchanged glances over their heads. When they went to bed, we hopped on line and checked the excursions!!

We found a Dolphin Encounter that was not too expensive. This is where you get in about 3 feet of water and get to pet the dolphins and they give you a kiss! Photo op! I'm sure they will charge an arm and a leg for the pictures! We don't actually swim with them. Which is okay, because I think Paige in particular would be afraid.

So our excursion is from 9:45 to 1:45. Then it's back to the ship to relax for a while. We plan to go to the early show this night (they have them at 5, 7 and 8:30 I think). Then we take the kids to the kids' club so DH and I can have a romantic dinner date at Palo, one of two adult only restaurants!! I'm really excited about this, as we have never gotten to do it on previous cruises.

Then we will all go to a second dinner at our regularly scheduled dining room. I told you I didn't want to miss any!!! I might not eat much at this one though!!
After that, I think it's Pirate Night, so there will be a party on deck and FIREWORKS!! I hope we can stay up after this busy day!! But our next day should be more relaxing!!!

Ohhhh I will want a full report on that dolphin encounter. While I'm all about the shopping while we are in that port, Baylor will not be!!!
I could always head over when we get finished, maybe I can drag Michelle to the straw market with me!

How is Paige about staying up now? Three years is a long time....

Then we have our first night at Pop Century!!

I know this place! :hippie:

OR
We just go get some breakfast, tell them we're off to Debbie's and get back in the car and head EAST. They don't know that Debbie's house is SOUTH from Orlando!
I thought I'd keep the video camera in the front seat with me and as we got close to the port, see what happens. I'm sure they'll be reading signs (that's how Sarah figured out our AKL surprise last December) and when they see the Port Canaveral signs, they should realize...Plus, when you drive across the bridge, you can see the cruise ships in port. I hope to catch their reactions on video.

So help me decide which way to go....

I like this plan. :thumbsup2

Ohhhh I will want a full report on that dolphin encounter. While I'm all about the shopping while we are in that port, Baylor will not be!!!
I could always head over when we get finished, maybe I can drag Michelle to the straw market with me!

How is Paige about staying up now? Three years is a long time....
Oh, you know I'll be giving a full report! And I plan on taking about a million pictures of that ship and everything on it!!!
I know this place! :hippie:

I like this plan. :thumbsup2
I'm excited to check out Pop! It looks like a fun place!
Thanks - I am hoping that's the plan we choose, I think it will be a bigger surprise effect than - "here, put on these shirts today". Hint hint. Plus it's less prep work for me! ;)

Wow....after hearing all these plans I SO want to do a cruise as soon as possible!!! :cloud9: Everything sounds wonderful. The dolphin encounter will be incredible!

I'm with MeMom, I like the idea of telling the kids you are off to their Aunt's home and keeping the video camera handy. That will be such a sweet surprise! Plus, if they know BEFORE you get in the car, you'd probably get more of the "Are we there yet?" :laughing:

Wow....after hearing all these plans I SO want to do a cruise as soon as possible!!! :cloud9: Everything sounds wonderful. The dolphin encounter will be incredible!

I'm with MeMom, I like the idea of telling the kids you are off to their Aunt's home and keeping the video camera handy. That will be such a sweet surprise! Plus, if they know BEFORE you get in the car, you'd probably get more of the "Are we there yet?" :laughing:

Good point!
I know how hearing about it and watching videos etc. make you want to do it. That's always what happens with us! I hope you get a chance to do it. Lots of fun, that's for sure!! I'm hoping someday to get a 7 day! And a Mediterranean. And Alaska...

I'm torn between your two options of revealing the cruise to the girls. I like the t-shirt idea because you'd be sure and get their reactions on video, but it seems so much more fun to wait and watch their surprise as they see the port come into view!

I'll look forward to hearing about the dolphin encounter. We're looking at that or the sea lion encounter, leaning towards sea lion just because it's more than $100 cheaper. Of course, as much as we're paying for this vacation is $100 really that big of a deal???

Anita - the straw market scares me! :laughing:

I'm torn between your two options of revealing the cruise to the girls. I like the t-shirt idea because you'd be sure and get their reactions on video, but it seems so much more fun to wait and watch their surprise as they see the port come into view!

I'll look forward to hearing about the dolphin encounter. We're looking at that or the sea lion encounter, leaning towards sea lion just because it's more than $100 cheaper. Of course, as much as we're paying for this vacation is $100 really that big of a deal???

Anita - the straw market scares me! :laughing:

Michelle-We need to look at those encounters....
The straw market (from what I hear) has a new inside home. I can't go back without knockoff purses for my daughters.

Sheree-I like the pulling into port idea myself. Just be sure to get it on video....

Sheree- your trip sounds FANTASTIC!!!

I vote for letting the cruise reveal itself on the drive. Imagine how proud the girls will be for figuring it out on their own rather than just reading the t-shirt.

You could also do really corny ship puns- "I've Dreamed about this trip for a long time" "Glad I a am in ship-shape for this trip" "Lifesaver, girls?"

Your stateroom sounds absolutely divine!!!

They will LOVE the dolphin encounters. We did one in Jamaica (actually, Ben and Mark did a dolphin encounter and Nate and I snorkeled with SHARKS!) Then at Atlantis, Ben and I did a dolphin encounter since Ben was not old enough to do the swim/footpush that Mark and Nate did.

So much fun reading about your plans! The dolphin encounter sounds like it will be a blast!

I like the idea of taping them as you get towards the port. What if you play it off and say you are going to the Space Center -- would they buy it? That way even if Sarah is reading the signs, she won't realize it until you are much closer.

I'm getting excited just reading it all. We have late seating for dinner as well. Did you know that the shows are now assigned. We have the 7PM show assigned to us. I have heard that they are going to scan your KTTW card when you go in to be sure you are at the right show. I guess the theater is only big enough to hold a certain amount of people, so they want to be sure you are going to your assigned show. 7 works for us though. We have more time to get ready.
I keep looking at the dolphin encounters. Claire saw something the other day on TV and said she wants to pet a dolphin. It is a hefty price though. I thought maybe DH and her could go and it and I could buy the observer ticket. But even then, it would still probably put my DH into shock at the price.
He does want to go over to Atlantis and look around.(we did that once before too with a NCL cruise) I would like to do a little bit of shopping, but I don't know if we will make a full day at Nassua either.

I can't wait to hear more of your plans!

Your girls are going to be so surprised!
The dolphin encounter you described sounds exactly like the one my brother and nephews did while they were at Atlantis in October. They videotaped the entire experience.

Oh my - I didn't realize this was going to be a surprise. I love the T shirt idea, but if you give them out too soon it will definitely be a give away. Maybe wait until you drive by the parking lot, then pull over, turn the car around saying, "woops - we forgot something". Then wip those shirts out.

OH - your cruise is going to be SO MUCH FUN!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter