• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Somebody please explain cell phone use ...

dominiondad

Mouseketeer
I'll try to explain this as best I can ... it drives me crazy when I see people in public who speak into their cell phone by holding it out in front of them and speaking in to the bottom of the phone. Why do people do this rather then hold the phone up to their ear like you would with a desk phone? In addition to looking ridiculous, it also requires the user to have the phone on speaker so everybody in the area gets to hear way more than we want to. Why is this happening?

Because that's how they do it on reality TV shows? ;)

Seriously though. Nobody wants to hear your calls. If you can't hold it up to your ear then the conversation should wait until you are behind closed doors. And I'm not talking about a bathroom stall.

I hate it when people in the office use speaker phone. I don't need to hear your conversation!

Absolutely - when I was in a cubicle, there used to be a woman who sat across from me who was always making calls on her speaker phone. In a cubicle area, that's just not cool. Find an empty office and close the door.

If it's on speaker phone, I can kinda sorta see the annoyance...but then again if someone wants to put their conversations on a speaker phone I suppose that's their choice (as long as it's not in a place where you're "supposed" to be quiet, like a library or an office). If it's not on speaker phone, not sure why it would bother you so much. I do it sometimes simply because I have an inexpensive smartphone, as in it was $25 when I bought it 3 years ago. I refuse to spend good money on a smartphone...you want to talk phone pet peeves, that's one of mine, I simply don't get it. Anywhoodles, I have found that the microphone isn't always the best if I hold it up to my face...or I've accidentally hit the hang up "button" a few times. So on occasion I will hold it sort of out like that, so that it's easier for the person to hear me. However, I don't put it on speaker phone, I'll move the phone back to my ear when I'm trying to listen. Doesn't really bother me how someone else thinks it "looks", it's not a fashion statement for me.

I can't explain it and it is annoying. Especially when it is an argument, a discussion of something very personal etc.

Too many self-absorbed people who think the world revolves around them. Usually it is just chit/chat that could wait till later. Was walking into work from the parking garage recently (was about 6:45 am) and overheard someone on their phone basically telling the person they burned a baked potato in the microwave oven. NO IDEA who would be up that early at home and why would they care???

Funny how we somehow managed to live our lives before the days of cell phones and things worked out fine.....LOL. Virtually everyone has a cell phone nowadays so NO, we are NOT impressed when you use yours in public. I enjoy watching people on an airplane who are constantly texting whomever until the moment they have to shut off the phone when taking off. Somehow the world doesn't end during the time we are in air and they can't text/talk on their phones.

I was going to mention the cancer link as well.

As for me, I find the public conversations annoying as well. I don't use speaker phone in public, nor do I use the cell phone much at all in public unless it's an emergency, but when I'm at home and talking on it, I definitely use the speaker phone option. I have neck problems and it's a lot more comfortable for me to be able to speak facing forward on the phone than tilting my neck to the side

Because someone FaceTimes them instead of calls. My daughter does this and it drives me a little crazy.

Cancer risk

Easier to hear sometimes.

Might be more comfortable for someone with hearing aids.

Obviously speaker phone is more appropriate in some public settings than others. I was walking my dog in the park last night and put a call on speakerphone. I’m not sure why anyone would even notice. You definitely couldn’t hear it above all the kids screaming and soccer teams playing.

Last edited:
I think I would rather hear a conversation on speaker phone that someone playing their music on their phone while shopping. Good gravy, I ran into Dollar General yesterday and someone was walking around holding their phone up by their face listening to music while the rummaged through the aisles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter