• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Somebody please explain cell phone use ...

I rarely talk on my phone in public, but when I'm home I almost always use speaker phone or earbuds. I can't stand holding the phone up to my cheek, all my makeup rubs off on it and it is quite gross.

I agree that it's not the cell phone use in public, it is the volume. It seems to me, especially when people are using speaker phone or earbuds that they seem to talk louder than an average conversation. A young lady in the gate area of the airport this weekend was using earbuds and was practically yelling. The looks on about 30 faces around her should have clued her in, but she seemed quite oblivious to the fact that none of us wanted to hear her rant about not getting on the plane even though she should have been first on the standby list.

Why are phone conversations worse or more annoying than listening to two people talking to each other in person? Note, I find I more annoying too but I don't know why.

The volume is one issue. People always seem to talk louder when using speakerphone than if they are holding the phone up to their ear.

Being able to read the situation and adjust accordingly is also something that you cannot tell with a phone conversation. (This is why it's more dangerous to talk on the phone while driving than it is to talk to someone who is sitting in the car with you.) The other person doesn't know if they should pause for an interruption, cut back on their swearing, etc.

I personally find it annoying just simply the fact that people "have" to be talking (either out loud or texting) about random, unimportant crap all the time. If you have someone with you and you're talking to them, fine. But do you really need to discuss the consistency of your bowel movements over the phone while wandering through the grocery store? Can't you just take a few minutes to silently ponder the universe instead?

And, probably the main reason it bothers me is the completely irrational vicarious embarrassment I feel. When I have a conversation on the phone I absolutely hate talking in front of other people. I know it makes no logical sense, but I have always hated it. It's not that I'm sharing anything secret because I have absolutely no problem telling you the entire conversation verbatim after the fact. I just can't have the conversation while in the same room with you. My husband and kids know this and think it's funny to occasionally follow me around the house while I'm on the phone trying to find privacy. The thought of someone having me on speakerphone in a public place just makes my stomach churn with anxiety.

The volume is one issue. People always seem to talk louder when using speakerphone than if they are holding the phone up to their ear.

Being able to read the situation and adjust accordingly is also something that you cannot tell with a phone conversation. (This is why it's more dangerous to talk on the phone while driving than it is to talk to someone who is sitting in the car with you.) The other person doesn't know if they should pause for an interruption, cut back on their swearing, etc.

I personally find it annoying just simply the fact that people "have" to be talking (either out loud or texting) about random, unimportant crap all the time. If you have someone with you and you're talking to them, fine. But do you really need to discuss the consistency of your bowel movements over the phone while wandering through the grocery store? Can't you just take a few minutes to silently ponder the universe instead?

And, probably the main reason it bothers me is the completely irrational vicarious embarrassment I feel. When I have a conversation on the phone I absolutely hate talking in front of other people. I know it makes no logical sense, but I have always hated it. It's not that I'm sharing anything secret because I have absolutely no problem telling you the entire conversation verbatim after the fact. I just can't have the conversation while in the same room with you. My husband and kids know this and think it's funny to occasionally follow me around the house while I'm on the phone trying to find privacy. The thought of someone having me on speakerphone in a public place just makes my stomach churn with anxiety.

How do you know it's random unimportant crap?

On our last trip to WDW (this past May) I was on my phone a lot, either texting or talking (no speaker phone since I find it harder to hear in crowded places like a theme park in speaker-mode). We met up with some friends in the DVC lounge and were talking with them and my phone was constantly going off...text after text. I apologized but had to read and respond to each. Finally I paused to hold up my phone and show them what I was dealing with. A severe injury to one of the horses on my farm. It was like that all week. As a business owner, I have to be available to be reached in the event of an emergency and respond immediately. It never fails, especially when we go away on a trip. I have had to get up and walk out of shows at WDW to handle a crisis at home.

If people around me aren't enjoying listening to the one-sided conversation about "well what DOES his manure look like??" they can be comforted by the fact that I'm not enjoying it either. :rotfl2:

Awareness of one's surroundings would be my answer.

The act of talking on speakerphone OR blue tooth or face time or whatever or a conversation in person isn't normally an issue.

That said taking stock of where you are goes a long way. Maybe the answer is to just be aware of and have consideration for others. And no that doesn't mean you can't do any of the things listed above out in public. For the most part people can, though they may choose not to, be aware of their own surroundings and adjust.

But do you really need to discuss the consistency of your bowel movements over the phone while wandering through the grocery store?
I personally find that in the category of probably TMI talk in public not really in the category of random, unimportant things.

Majority of my conversations aren't really dire, very important things. Sure a few things every now and then yes but if I only talked or texted about very specific and what most people would deem as very important I would probably hardly talk or text lol.

People catch up or just like to chit chat in general.

I know for my husband, he is convinced that holding a cell phone up to his head will cause cancer... so speaker phone it is. I've gotten used to all the speaker phone conversations around me. To be honest, I don't see how it is different than two individuals having a conversation in a public space. We all need to adjust to the new normal, I guess. Life is too short to let such things bother me. To each there own.

I hate it when people in the office use speaker phone. I don't need to hear your conversation!
I hate it when people call me from their office using the speaker phone. I wonder why they even bother calling if they don't want me to hear half of what they are saying. How do you interpret...

"Hey Mi.., could ... ..ke .a.. the 5... ..mp... to sh..pi.. ... h... ..e. s...p.d o.. .. F..st .....o..g.es?"

Oh, and I'm sorry if I offend you because face to face I am loud when I talk. It's part the Italian blood in me (don't want to hear me talk, tie my arms down, LOL) and part I work 8-12 hours a day in manufacturing. Even out on the plant floor, people will tell me not to talk so loud. I respond with, have you ever said "What?" to me? No, yet all of you come out and try to talk to me surrounded by 20 very large blower motors running and use your inter-office voice and expect me to hear and understand you. You may as well just write everything you want to say to me down on paper instead of trying to repeat yourself 10 times because you are whispering in an environment of 125 decibels of noise all around.

Last edited:
You should see the looks I get when I'm out hiking or biking and talking to someone on my bluetooth earbuds. I believe I've frightened a few people with that one. :)
:laughing: Lordy...my DH is a gadget guy and had a Bluetooth way before they were mainstream. He looked like a crazy-person walking around talking to himself all the time. I can’t count all the times out in public someone would double-take, thinking he was addressing them. It was mortifying. :o

Regarding workplace etiquette, 95% of my calls are on speaker (yes, I have my own office with a door). I almost always need to be on my computer or rummaging around in files when I’m talking - it’s just the nature of my job.

It is incredibly rude to walk around public spaces talking with speaker phone on.
Is it incredibly rude to have a conversation with a person in a public space? A conversation is a conversation. How are they different? Besides thinking the person is talking louder, because face to face conversations can also be overheard.

I don't get this hatred obsession with strangers and their phones. People making assumptions of what a family is doing at a restaurant with their phones out, what they are doing if they are texting, what they are doing when talking on them.

Everyone needs to get over themselves and engage in a hefty dose of MYOB!

Is it incredibly rude to have a conversation with a person in a public space? A conversation is a conversation. How are they different? Besides thinking the person is talking louder, because face to face conversations can also be overheard.

I don't get this hatred obsession with strangers and their phones. People making assumptions of what a family is doing at a restaurant with their phones out, what they are doing if they are texting, what they are doing when talking on them.

Agree! Life is too short to be bugged by everything all the time. We’ve all got our pet-peeves, me included, but I’ve got to assume discussions like this exaggerate the magnitude of the issue. I doubt anybody is really letting it ruin their day IRL.

How do you know it's random unimportant crap?

On our last trip to WDW (this past May) I was on my phone a lot, either texting or talking (no speaker phone since I find it harder to hear in crowded places like a theme park in speaker-mode). We met up with some friends in the DVC lounge and were talking with them and my phone was constantly going off...text after text. I apologized but had to read and respond to each. Finally I paused to hold up my phone and show them what I was dealing with. A severe injury to one of the horses on my farm. It was like that all week. As a business owner, I have to be available to be reached in the event of an emergency and respond immediately. It never fails, especially when we go away on a trip. I have had to get up and walk out of shows at WDW to handle a crisis at home.

If people around me aren't enjoying listening to the one-sided conversation about "well what DOES his manure look like??" they can be comforted by the fact that I'm not enjoying it either. :rotfl2:
Exactly. My husband is on the phone pretty much 24x7, 99% texting because his stuff is highly confidential. He spent last night texting from 1:30 am to 3am and headed to work shortly after. He manages a department with some pretty high end clients and needs to be available all the time, even on vacations. There is no "waiting till after dinner or a better place" EVER.

Sorry guys, if a system goes down in some particular white buildings in DC, he doesn't really care what some Gladys busybodies think of his texting in public or at the table in a restaurant.

Some people really need to get over themselves thinking they are the phone police. :snooty:👮‍♀️👮‍♂️. There must be something really lacking in excitement in their own lives to be so twitterpated over what strangers are doing with their phones. :hyper2:

Too many self-absorbed people who think the world revolves around them. Usually it is just chit/chat that could wait till later. Was walking into work from the parking garage recently (was about 6:45 am) and overheard someone on their phone basically telling the person they burned a baked potato in the microwave oven. NO IDEA who would be up that early at home and why would they care???

Funny how we somehow managed to live our lives before the days of cell phones and things worked out fine.....LOL. Virtually everyone has a cell phone nowadays so NO, we are NOT impressed when you use yours in public. I enjoy watching people on an airplane who are constantly texting whomever until the moment they have to shut off the phone when taking off. Somehow the world doesn't end during the time we are in air and they can't text/talk on their phones.
You were up at 6:45. Most everyone I know is up at that hour during a work day. Would you have been so annoyed if you overheard the conversation between the driver and a passenger about a burnt potato? You probably would have laughed, thinking it was an amusing story. Why does a piece of technology change the nature of a conversation?

Is it jealousy? Fear of technology? Judgmental? (that one is a given)

Since my husband really can't go several hours without being in touch, we make sure any flight we have has wifi and he continues to be available for work. On the rare occasion that the plane's wifi is broken, he tries to deal with it. But 99.9999999% you will see him working on the plane via text.

Because they think that they're important and want everyone to know it. It's ridiculous! I don;t need to hear your conversation and neither does the rest of the store.
The only person who thinks they are important is the person who is certain that they know exactly why a complete stranger is doing something.

I just assume they don't like having a phone to their ear. But like you said, in a public place, it's pretty rude to force everyone around them to have to hear their conversation.
I'm not sure what you mean by "force" everyone to hear. People talk in public all the time, everywhere, constantly. Are you just upset you can't eavesdrop on both sides of a cell phone conversation?

Is it incredibly rude to have a conversation with a person in a public space?

If you are screaming at each other to the point that the people sitting four tables away can hear you, yes. It is rude. Very rude.

People on speaker phones must not realize how loud it is.

Don't make your business into other people's business. People need to use some common sense when screaming into a speaker phone. Talk like you are talking to the person next to you. And turn your volume down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter