Some ???'s about POR

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Moms, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Moms

Moms Mouseketeer

Just booked a "quick" getaway for the 2018 Columbus Day weekend. We know it will be crazy crowded but for the last several years we have only done Spring Break and Christmas Week so the crowds don't concern us. I do, however have a couple of questions about POR. We stayed there about 15 years ago and loved it but since then have been pretty exclusively at the Boardwalk. Wanted to save a few $$$ this time as it is a short one so we are returning to POR. Have been looking at YouTube videos and tackled the more recent post in the "monster" thread on POR here and obviously things have changed a bit.

It seems you can opt out of housekeeping (?) ... is this true and how does that work? For a short (4 nights) stay we might choose to opt out but might need replenishment of supplies ... can you call for those? Can you get clean towels if you need them on a day with an extra shower?

How are the busses? Obviously at the Boardwalk we walked to and from both Epcot and HS but never had a problem with busses to AK, MK or Disney Springs. We really don't have any issues with riding busses but don't want to waste too much time on a short trip. We fly out at 5:00 PM so will plan to do some time a park on departure day ... how much time should we allow for a return to the resort to catch the DME at 2:00 ish? If necessary we can just catch a cab or Minnie Van to insure an on time arrival.

Appreciate any wisdom out there ... this will be quite a change for us and we're hoping all goes well.

2. motherof5

motherof5 DIS Veteran

I thought the new rule was you can't op out of housekeeping they come in every day for trash.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Meglen

Meglen Mouseketeer

1. You can't opt out of house keeping. They might not offering to you but you may ask for it. Gift card will be email. You may also call for towels and shampoo. The only down side to this is you will have "secruity" checks everyday since it will no longer be done by house keeping.

2. Busses tend to be hit or miss. Por is huge and has.multiple stops so some days you might need to wait for 2 busses to leave the resort or even coming back from a park at night. If you are in a time crunch on the last day I say book a Uber or Lyft/Minnie van.

5. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

You sure can opt out of housekeeping at all the Values and Moderates. If you opt out of housekeeping, you will have to empty your own trash.

DoryGirl1963 likes this.
  6. motherof5

motherof5 DIS Veteran

But you can't opt out if your at DVC resort?

7. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

No. Only at Valued and Moderates.

8. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

That's at DVC resorts.

The giftard-for-opting-out was never at DVC because DVC doesn't have traditional housekeeping. Since the new ridiculousness, it isn't really "housekeeping", but a daily check, just done with the excuse of emptying the trash. And they don't always. Or sometimes they make your bed (happened day 2 at GFV studio in February). Who knows what they'll do?

At the other resorts, even at the ones offering the giftcard for opting out, you'll still get a security person dropping by each day.

dansdad likes this.
  9. motherof5

motherof5 DIS Veteran

We all lost our privacy at these resorts I guess I can kindof see the point on both sides.

10. motherof5

motherof5 DIS Veteran

that's what I thought. Thanks

11. NikkiDP

NikkiDP Mouseketeer

At the end of the night, be prepared to wait for 2, 3, or even 4 buses before you are able to get on. Due to it's size you will almost always have a line at the bus stops but the CMs are fantastic at keeping the buses coming. We have never had an issue getting where we needed to even with a wait, but if you are concerned about getting somewhere by a certain time, I would suggest an Uber/Lyft/Minnie Van. Even if there is no one at your stop there is no guarantee that the bus won't come to you already full!

The buses are such a small thing though when thinking about POR. It is so peaceful and so beautiful and completely transports you out of the craziness of Disney. My husband and I absolutely love this resort. You also must walk to POFQ for beignets!