Some disturbing Disney pricing info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just at a local store here in AZ. They had Disneyland 2 day park hopper passes for $260. OMG, $130/day for Disneyland???? I know that includes hopping but geez!! I haven't been to DLR since 2008 when DLX AP's were $259 at Costco with a $50 Disney GC so $200. Not sure just how many more trips I can afford to Disney.

Last edited:
Was just at a local store here in AZ. They had Disneyland 2 day park hopper passes for $260. OMG, $180/day for Disneyland???? I know that includes hopping but geez!! I haven't been to DLR since 2008 when DLX AP's were $259 at Costco with a $50 Disney GC so $200. Not sure just how many more trips I can afford to Disney.

That's um....$130/day, not $180. Still ridiculous, though.

We did 4 day hopper tickets at Disneyland back in May for $320, or an average of $80/day.

I don't think anyone is real happy about the price increases, other than Disney.

That said, those who are "praising" Universal while lambasting Disney must not have been going to Universal for very long. We love Universal just as much as Disney. We always work a couple of days of Universal into every Disney trip (2-3 trips per year), and then we do 1-2 separate "Universal only" long weekends a year, too. That said, we have had Power Passes for Universal for several years. To give an idea of how much Universal has also increased prices, 3 years ago, we renewed our Universal AP's (PP) for $139. This year, the renewal was $284...over a 100% increase in 3 years' time.

"Per day" tickets at Universal are practically priced the same as Disney now.

Universal is cheaper, but that's simply because they're playing catch up, and they only have two parks. No, I don't include water parks at Universal OR at Disney. I have zero interest in them. I do enjoy Universal's hotels. We always stay at PBR, HRH, or RPR for the express pass benefits. We get really good rates there being AP holders, but still not nearly as good as our "rates" for DVC villas.

That's um....$130/day, not $180. Still ridiculous, though.

We did 4 day hopper tickets at Disneyland back in May for $320, or an average of $80/day.

My keyboard messed up and caused a typo! Corrected. Lol. From 2005-2009 we had AP's and went to DLR at least once per month for 3-4 days each. For the 4 of us at about $200 per AP pass I could afford it. Today they start at $730. My salary hasn't gone up to match that cost!!

I don't think anyone is real happy about the price increases, other than Disney.

That said, those who are "praising" Universal while lambasting Disney must not have been going to Universal for very long. We love Universal just as much as Disney. We always work a couple of days of Universal into every Disney trip (2-3 trips per year), and then we do 1-2 separate "Universal only" long weekends a year, too. That said, we have had Power Passes for Universal for several years. To give an idea of how much Universal has also increased prices, 3 years ago, we renewed our Universal AP's (PP) for $139. This year, the renewal was $284...over a 100% increase in 3 years' time.

"Per day" tickets at Universal are practically priced the same as Disney now.

Universal is cheaper, but that's simply because they're playing catch up, and they only have two parks. No, I don't include water parks at Universal OR at Disney. I have zero interest in them. I do enjoy Universal's hotels. We always stay at PBR, HRH, or RPR for the express pass benefits. We get really good rates there being AP holders, but still not nearly as good as our "rates" for DVC villas.

Yup, to be fair, Universal ticket prices have been going through the roof. Where Universal wins is resort pricing and perks for onsite guests.

I do not know of any hospitals that look like the values around where I live. Most are high rise buildings closer to Bay Lake tower or the new Riviera. I prefer moderates but not at the cost. For our 9 night stay with free dining it would cost us $700 more to stay at CBR. For some that's nothing but for us its a matter of going to Disney or not.

For comparison, I'll be traveling on business next week and staying at a Hilton Garden Inn for $99/night. Disney is extremely expensive. Gone are the days of $75/nt for the values and $120/nt for moderates I remember not long ago.

Yes the hospitals they are building around here look more like the Four Seasons. They are all Taj Mahals... No wonder health care is so expensive. Many are hiring chefs from 4 star restaurants to complete. I know many retirees who go to the hospital every day just to eat at the cafeteria.

My biggest concern is not the price increases but the crowds. How else can Disney reduce the crowding other than raise prices? I don't see Disney ever moving towards a lottery system that only allows entrance if your number gets picked.

I know, I'm disgusted at the Prices. When my son was like 5 (he is 19 now), we would often get $49 rooms at the value resorts. Now I just booked a stay that is almost $200 per night after tax at POP...rip off! But, we are going for a long weekend, and doing the Xmas party, so staying off site is just such a chore to me (connecting through TTC). We could stay free at a Marriott with points, but the convenience factor is what is making me stay onsite.

We just stayed at YC in February and that was almost $500 a night, last minute and that was with a discount! It's kind of disgusting, but we are sucked into Disney resorts for convenience

I know, I'm disgusted at the Prices. When my son was like 5 (he is 19 now), we would often get $49 rooms at the value resorts. Now I just booked a stay that is almost $200 per night after tax at POP...rip off! But, we are going for a long weekend, and doing the Xmas party, so staying off site is just such a chore to me (connecting through TTC). We could stay free at a Marriott with points, but the convenience factor is what is making me stay onsite.

We just stayed at YC in February and that was almost $500 a night, last minute and that was with a discount! It's kind of disgusting, but we are sucked into Disney resorts for convenience

As long as people "think" they have to have 180+10 ADR booking for increasingly mediocre food at Disney restaurants, and 60 day FP+...it's not going to stop. People will still fill up the resorts, and Disney will keep raising prices.

Just wait until Galaxy's Edge opens next year.

As long as people "think" they have to have 180+10 ADR booking for increasingly mediocre food at Disney restaurants, and 60 day FP+...it's not going to stop. People will still fill up the resorts, and Disney will keep raising prices.

Just wait until Galaxy's Edge opens next year.

I know. We have been loyal to WDW, but we have went to Disneyland the past 2 Summer's and I much prefer it there! If it wasn't such a long flight from the East coast we would go there more often. No crazy FP and dining reservations, and we can stay off site at a Marriott which is a 5 minute walk to the park!

My biggest concern is not the price increases but the crowds. How else can Disney reduce the crowding other than raise prices? I don't see Disney ever moving towards a lottery system that only allows entrance if your number gets picked.

They have capacity closures. All they have to do is adjust their numbers & implement the closure. But why should they. Packing people in benefits their bottom line.

The easiest way to control crowds would be to limit the number of tickets sold per day and the number of people admitted to park per day. They only do that now when it is so crowded you can't move. This business with raising ticket prices to lower crowds is a distraction. It is to get people to think Disney is doing something to help you when in reality they have been raising ticket prices since they opened the park and have never looked back. I think the crowds are due to the great marketing they do and they haven't changed that. When they stop marketing to increase crowds then they would be doing something to lower them.

You do understand that it's not Disney Worlds fault that minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation right?

In 1982 the average cost of a Chevy was $9,370 which was 2,797 hours at minimum wage of $3.35. Now the average price of a Malibu is $23k which is 3,172 hours at $7.25 federal minimum wage.

Not wanting to pay the increase is fine but to call them ridiculous price increases does not reflect actual economics. Go talk to your Senator and Congressperson about that. Federal minimum wage should be around $19.33 an hour, if you take into consideration inflation and productivity, which would take a 3 day ticket to 16 hours worked, not 51.

Stacy

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/09/01/business/gm-lowers-prices-on-many-1983-cars.html

To put Disney's ridiculous price hikes into perspective I read something interesting today. 35 years ago, to purchase a 3 day ticket was the equivalent of working 11 hours at what minimum wage was. Today, for the same ticket and at today's minimum wage, you'd have to work 51 hours. Since 2010, Annual Passes have doubled in price and park tickets have increased 80%.

I LOVE the new value refurbishment! I thought the old value rooms looked so dated and cheesy. I think the modern look is very refreshing. We stayed in a refurbished room at pop in April and I would choose staying there over a moderate now.

This business with raising ticket prices to lower crowds is a distraction.

I'm not sure I follow? Do think if they kept prices constant or lowered them less the demand would be the same? Demand for Disney is not inelastic to price. The more they charge the less people will come. They could raise prices much faster than they are now but Disney is very concerned about their public image.

Similar to Disney, the state transportation department is rolling out variable tolling the freeways in Seattle. The only problem is they have capped the price at $10. Just like Disney they are concerned if the price was upcapped it would lead to a public backlash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter