Some disturbing Disney pricing info

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is the last time you got a room at a value for less than $100? Not anymore!!!! not with the last price hikes the last couple years!
As for the floors not being dirty in a newer room.... you should have seen what we walked into at CSR last month! Nasty, sticky stuff on the bathroom floors, piles of dirt and food crumbs under and around the beds and dresser! it was terrible!

I actually got a room at a value resort for less than 100 bucks a night only 3 weeks ago. I also booked only a week before I left. Rack rates to me don't matter because I don't book without a discount. Disney very rarely doesn't offer some kind of discount.

I'm ok with the prices. At the end of August I took my family to Great Wolf Lodge for a 4 day weekend and it cost us more than our 8 night trip to Disney next June is going to. It's all relative and the memories for my family are priceless anyway.

You do understand that it's not Disney Worlds fault that minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation right?

In 1982 the average cost of a Chevy was $9,370 which was 2,797 hours at minimum wage of $3.35. Now the average price of a Malibu is $23k which is 3,172 hours at $7.25 federal minimum wage.

Not wanting to pay the increase is fine but to call them ridiculous price increases does not reflect actual economics. Go talk to your Senator and Congressperson about that. Federal minimum wage should be around $19.33 an hour, if you take into consideration inflation and productivity, which would take a 3 day ticket to 16 hours worked, not 51.

Stacy

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/09/01/business/gm-lowers-prices-on-many-1983-cars.html

The last thing Disney should want to be compared with is the auto industry. It's the biggest rip off known to man.

You simply can't point to much that has increased 100% in price in less than a decade. Even movie tickets haven't seen that large of an increase.

I actually got a room at a value resort for less than 100 bucks a night only 3 weeks ago. I also booked only a week before I left. Rack rates to me don't matter because I don't book without a discount. Disney very rarely doesn't offer some kind of discount.

The problem with that is most visitors don't have the luxury of booking 1 week in advance.

The last thing Disney should want to be compared with is the auto industry. It's the biggest rip off known to man.

You simply can't point to much that has increased 100% in price in less than a decade. Even movie tickets haven't seen that large of an increase.
The popcorn at the concession has

No housing costs in Seattle are the biggest rip off known to man....

A 960 Sq. Ft. crackerbox at 837 NE 67 St.

$388,500 in 2010
$815,900 in 2015
$4,133,000 in 2016

The price increases are outrageous.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...-122.315268,47.676248,-122.319881_rect/17_zm/

I'm not sure I follow? Do think if they kept prices constant or lowered them less the demand would be the same? Demand for Disney is not inelastic to price. The more they charge the less people will come. They could raise prices much faster than they are now but Disney is very concerned about their public image.

Similar to Disney, the state transportation department is rolling out variable tolling the freeways in Seattle. The only problem is they have capped the price at $10. Just like Disney they are concerned if the price was upcapped it would lead to a public backlash.
Raising ticket prices hasn't worked yet to decrease crowd levels so what makes you think it will in the future. Besides when crowd levels are expected to be low they give discounts on rooms and packages to encourage people to go. Kind of counter intuitive isn't it?

The problem with that is most visitors don't have the luxury of booking 1 week in advance.
Most visitors don't have the luxury of picking their vacation based on discounts. They usually go on vacation when it is convenient for their families. They choose a destination and time of year they can go. Then they try to research if they can get discounts. Not the other way around.

I stayed at Pop Century in a refurbished room in December of 2017. It was like staying in a sterile hospital room. They were even using the ugly fluorescent lights in some fixtures. All the finishes and materials were industrial grade, synthetic material. I'm assuming that the room design was developed exclusively to prevent wear and tear and be easier to clean. The kicker is that they aren't really cleaning the rooms. The laminate floors are disgustingly dirty. Don't believe me? Then wear a pair of white socks as you walk around the room and then look at the bottom of your feet. I never experienced that before these room refurbishments.

You are basically paying deluxe prices (compared to other hotels) for an iron clad dorm room that is not welcoming at all and lacks many of the services and amenities that you can find elsewhere.

Do your homework and stay off site. It's not worth it to pay those kinds of prices and have that kind of uncomfortable experience.

The Disney defenders can rationalize why the decline of Disney is ok all they want. The Disney of days past is gone. All management cares about is the stock price and if you can't see that then you aren't looking at all.

~NM
They are a for-profit company so of course profit is important. If you can't see that then you aren't looking

Why is it people think they should be not for profit?

I've seen it at that price when discounts are released as well. You just have to do research which is true with any vacation. Smart travelers don't book the first room they see.

I do research to an exhaustive extent. I always used to be able to get room discounts, usually AP or AAA. We don't have AP's anymore and no more AAA discounts. And though we are on every email list there is, we have never received a pin.

I do research to an exhaustive extent. I always used to be able to get room discounts, usually AP or AAA. We don't have AP's anymore and no more AAA discounts. And though we are on every email list there is, we have never received a pin.
I don't have any of those either and still always get a discount. Even during spring break

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter