Solo at Sci Fi?

jsmla

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have experience dining solo at Sci Fi? I book my ADRs for convenience and prefer not to leave the park for meals. Mama Melrose has been my go-to in the past but I always seem to get the worst tables. Sitting next to the server station along the main walkway is not my idea of relaxing and I've had that table two times running. I eat at either Brown Derby or the Lounge when OOP but will have the DP thus trip and don't want to use two credits. I prefer the menu at Mama Melrose and will go with that if my Sci Fi seating would be at the picnic tables. Nothing about 50s Prime Time appeals.

Thanks!

From what I've seen in the past, they'll usually seat solo diners or a party of two in the back of a party of four in a 3 row car. We've been "hitchhikers" before in this scenario and sometimes have had hitchhikers seated behind us. Because everyone is watching the screen, it's not awkward as it can be at places like Biergarten.

From what I've seen in the past, they'll usually seat solo diners or a party of two in the back of a party of four in a 3 row car. We've been "hitchhikers" before in this scenario and sometimes have had hitchhikers seated behind us. Because everyone is watching the screen, it's not awkward as it can be at places like Biergarten.

Thanks, I don't mind sharing a car as long as I get my own seat. Just the thought of something like Biergarten makes my palms sweat. :)

I've read that if you have a reservation you'll be in one of the cars, that the tables were for walkups, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I've only been there as a party of two and both times I was seated in the front row.

Thanks everyone! Has anyone has the shrimp pasta? I'm not a huge fan of burgers or BBQ.

It's a fabulous place to solo... do it every trip. :D Always a hitchhiker... tried many times to get the nice family seated in front of me to pay my bill but so far no takers! :rolleyes1 LOL

For me it's all about the burgers and shakes... it's a drive-in, after all!

I would vote to skip Sci Fi if you want something more complicated than a burger. JMO.

That's what I've read, I'm thinking about just skipping TS in DHS altogether, eating at Brown Derby Lounge and figuring somewhere else to spend that credit. Why in the world is the food so mediocre at the Studios?

If food is your focus then you can definitely find better.

For me it's really the ambiance and nostalgia that keeps me coming back. :-) As a child growing up in the 50's I remember my brother and I would put on our PJ's, grab our pillows and hop into the backseat of our old Henry J for a summer evening's fun with Mom and Dad... we'd be fast asleep long before the end of the double feature LOL

If food is your focus then you can definitely find better.

For me it's really the ambiance and nostalgia that keeps me coming back. :-) As a child growing up in the 50's I remember my brother and I would put on our PJ's, grab our pillows and hop into the backseat of our old Henry J for a summer evening's fun with Mom and Dad... we'd be fast asleep long before the end of the double feature LOL

I'm a child of the sixties but I remember drive-ins too. My parents were fresh out of college (AKA stoney broke) and a drive in meant no need to pay a sitter. It was mostly grown up movies but I do remember the awesomeness of watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the Echo Drive In. :)

We went to Sci Fi fairly regularly when DS was young but I probably haven't been in over ten years. I remember eating a lot of salads.

Perfect for solo!

With ADR you would be put in a car, likely as a hitchhiker in the last seat. You will get your own seat and never have to acknowledge the others in the car. I would avoid anything like steak etc and stick to burgers and basics. Other than steak we've never had a bad meal and we try to eat there a few times a year.

Perfect for solo!

With ADR you would be put in a car, likely as a hitchhiker in the last seat. You will get your own seat and never have to acknowledge the others in the car. I would avoid anything like steak etc and stick to burgers and basics. Other than steak we've never had a bad meal and we try to eat there a few times a year.

@HopperFan Have you ever had the pasta?

@HopperFan Have you ever had the pasta?

I have not. I was a die-hard Reuben fan ....... and now it's gone :( Last two trips I only got salad. BUT DS had once and his friend had on another trip. They didn't really say anything but they didn't complain about it, one did chicken and one shrimp. I do think as they keep changing the menu they have focused on trying to offer things they can do better, but every place has to offer a steak (even if they shouldn't).

Other DS only wants burgers and they always are good.

What is it about 50s Prime Time that doesn't appeal to you? We find the food there very good, and they have more options than the standard burger fare at Sci Fi. If its the shtick you don't care for, you may be able to find a seat at the bar being solo.

What is it about 50s Prime Time that doesn't appeal to you? We find the food there very good, and they have more options than the standard burger fare at Sci Fi. If its the shtick you don't care for, you may be able to find a seat at the bar being solo.

I've eaten at 50s many times when others have chosen it and it's just not for me, at least not when I'm solo. The menu is full of stuff that I make at home (and prepare more to my taste) all the time. I find the bar beyond chaotic and can't stress enough just how much I don't want the wait staff messing with me. Much like Via Napoli the food just isn't enjoyable enough for me to put up with the venue. This isn't meant to be a put down of 50s, it's just not for me.

I've eaten at 50s many times when others have chosen it and it's just not for me, at least not when I'm solo. The menu is full of stuff that I make at home (and prepare more to my taste) all the time. I find the bar beyond chaotic and can't stress enough just how much I don't want the wait staff messing with me. Much like Via Napoli the food just isn't enjoyable enough for me to put up with the venue. This isn't meant to be a put down of 50s, it's just not for me.

Gotcha. Just thought I'd mention it, because a lot of people are put off by the shtick before even experiencing it first hand.

It's a fabulous place to solo... do it every trip. :D Always a hitchhiker... tried many times to get the nice family seated in front of me to pay my bill but so far no takers! :rolleyes1 LOL

For me it's all about the burgers and shakes... it's a drive-in, after all!
Totally agree! SciFi is the best place for solo diners. And yes, i too get the burgers/shakes. The oreo shake is seriously to die for!

FWIW, they will not seat you at the picnic tables in the back. Those are primarily when theyre full and walk-ups ask for a table but there's literally nothing else to give them. So i wouldnt worry about that. If you have an ADR, you'll get a car. Such a fun place! Nice and quiet too.

Gotcha. Just thought I'd mention it, because a lot of people are put off by the shtick before even experiencing it first hand.
We ate the in October and I was really disappointed. I went expecting the "shtick" from having read about it. Nothing the entire meal. Not our table or any of the tables around us with different servers. Maybe it ws a bad night.

When its just 1 or 2 of us, we have always been in the back of a car. We have never been seated at the picnic tables in the back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter