Soft Drinks

Just a thought... how many root beer floats would you have on a trip? What's the cost of bringing it on board versus the cost of just buying the root beer on board? Unless root beer is your drink of choice and you're having floats at least every day or more, it might not be worth the hassle.

What is the price of canned pop on board?

Yes, it's available. This is the drink fountain (in the kitchen on the Magic):
View attachment 213551

It's Fanta root beer. You can get it at meals in the dining room (included in cruise fare).

You can get root beer in the bars/lounges and room service, for a cost.

I don't see root beer in the picture...but I see Ginger Ale. On the Wonder, we were able to get Ginger Ale, but never located a "free" rootbeer option onboard.

I don't see root beer in the picture...but I see Ginger Ale. On the Wonder, we were able to get Ginger Ale, but never located a "free" rootbeer option onboard.
Whoops! You're right, it's not on the fountain dispenser :o. But, in the MDRs you can get root beer (at least I was) with no charge. I guess they get it from the bar, or just have some cans on hand in the kitchen.

Brewed ice tea is available from room service at no charge. When we go to the dining rooms for lunch or dinner, we always take an ice tea with us. Our server told us that we could also order from room service so I was happy to learn that tip.

For the westbound transatlantic cruises, I brought onboard bottles of diet lemon soda as well as sparkling and still mineral waters. I picked the stuff up from the Carrefour by my hotel and it was nice to have a supply in my cabin fridge for the long cruise.

Are there cups you have to buy to use the dispensers?

No, there are paper cups, lids and straws at the drink station.

The paper cups by the dispensers are rather small. Many people bring larger cups, e.g. Tervis tumblers, to fill at the drink stations, but please use a clean paper cup when filling your own cup to reduce the chance of spreading germs.

The paper cups by the dispensers are rather small. Many people bring larger cups, e.g. Tervis tumblers, to fill at the drink stations, but please use a clean paper cup when filling your own cup to reduce the chance of spreading germs.
I don't understand how my cup can spread germs? It doesn't come into contact with the spouts. The reason we use our own cups is to cut down on the waste, which is crazy. Now you want me to use a cup to refill my cup, and waste more?

I don't understand how my cup can spread germs? It doesn't come into contact with the spouts. The reason we use our own cups is to cut down on the waste, which is crazy. Now you want me to use a cup to refill my cup, and waste more?

I always wondered the same thing. Our cup doesn't touch any part of the machine. Why do I have to use a paper cup to fill it?

I always wondered the same thing. Our cup doesn't touch any part of the machine. Why do I have to use a paper cup to fill it?
The restriction comes from a time when there were actually levers that you pushed with you cup to start the flow of the beverage.
You can see those levers here at Castaway Cay:
castaway cay 2014 cookies 16063 P1020669 1500.jpg
And onboard the Wonder (in the past)
wonder 2011 Drink Station old.JPG

That, plus the people who put their cups all the way up against the spigot area to fill their cups will tend to transmit germs. And, of course, there's the splash from filling an already used cup that could spray the spigot area again transmitting germs.

It's just "easier" to require everyone to use a clean cup to fill up their personal ones.

Personally, I brought my own cup because it was much larger, insulated, and not likely to break or spill if it got knocked over/stepped on. And it worked for all those reasons. If they want me to use their cups to fill mine, I'm fine with that.

Plus it is still less waste since it is larger.

I assume you can take a clean cup, pour it into your own cup, then use the same 'clean cup' to refill to top up your own cup? Or do they mean take a clean cup for each time a spout is used?

I assume you can take a clean cup, pour it into your own cup, then use the same 'clean cup' to refill to top up your own cup? Or do they mean take a clean cup for each time a spout is used?
Yes, you can use the same "clean cup" to fill up yours. I believe the idea is a cup that no one's mouth has been on.

Well, when my last cruise went to Noro virus lock down procedure and no one was able to refill anything themselves, the CMs regularly took the guests unwashed cups and just filled them up directly under the spout. Did not make any sense to me as the CM who touched the possibly contaminated cup then touched my clean cup and straw next...

I meant to email DCL about this and totally forgot, thanks for reminding me! The thing that really annoyed me that due to hygiene reasons they were no longer offering the treats from the Cove Cafe and the Vista Cafe. But filling large vats with Coke was still hygienic enough...

One more question from me on soda since I'm not seeing them in any pictures. Do they have caffeine free Diet Coke/caffeine free Coke Zero available anywhere on the fantasy? My wife is diabetic so can't drink regular and she tries not to drink much caffeine.
Thanks

One more question from me on soda since I'm not seeing them in any pictures. Do they have caffeine free Diet Coke/caffeine free Coke Zero available anywhere on the fantasy? My wife is diabetic so can't drink regular and she tries not to drink much caffeine.
Thanks
I had to bring my own caffeine free (regular) Coke. My husband was able to get caffeine free diet Coke in the bars/lounges and at dinner on some of our cruises, so that may be hit or miss.

Thanks

I would plan to bring it onboard. Technically, they should charge you in the MDRs for the specialty sodas not offered on the tap. It seems like some servers follow through with the charge and some do not...so if you think you would be unhappy paying for it, then bring it on with you. We are big CF+diet drinkers and were never offered a CF+diet version.

I would plan to bring it onboard. Technically, they should charge you in the MDRs for the specialty sodas not offered on the tap. It seems like some servers follow through with the charge and some do not...so if you think you would be unhappy paying for it, then bring it on with you. We are big CF+diet drinkers and were never offered a CF+diet version.
We've never been charged for sodas in the dining room, even when not one of the fountain ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter