Soda or Pop?

I've grown up calling it pop here in Missouri, and my dad, who grew up in rural north central Missouri, always calls it "sody pop."

As for a buggy, we went to the store while visiting my Mississippi relatives, and they asked us if we wanted a "buggy," which I had never heard before. I knew what they meant because they pointed at the shopping carts.

Just my two cents!;)

Originally posted by jeanie
Yes we still call it tonic.... But there are a lot of transplants in our area so you can tell who is a yankee and who is not. My kids call it soda but they know what tonic means... My kids also do not say CAH(car), or quahta ( quarter) either... An they are quick to point it out to mom and dad when the r's are dropped and the extra syllables are added in... ( I still say hair with two syllables!)

Be-ya (Beer) - two syllables :hyper:

I know exactly what you are saying. Tonic not used that much anymore, but old timers will definitely still use it, but everyone around here knows what is being referred to.

Originally posted by TheWog
WE are from the Northeast and call it soda. My grandfather used to call it Tonic.

We have friends from the midwest that call it Pop .... couldn't figure out what they were talking about for the longest time. :hyper:

I hear ya Wog! I'm a life-long New Englander and have always called it soda, but my Grandmother always referred to it as Tonic too.

Originally posted by NHDisneyKid
NH here also, and we ask for soda!! Every now and then, my grandparents might let a "tonic" slip, but it's mainly soda. Again, we call specific sodas by name, ie Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke, etc.

disneyholic family--you said something about easterners standing "on-line"...it's funny you should mention that. I've lived in New England my whole life (born in MA, raised in NH, college in CT, now back in NH) and I NEVER heard anyone say "I waited all afternoon on-line at the WalMart" UNTIL I went to college, where I had a lot of friends from New Jersey!! THEN I heard the on-line thing, and I thought it was so strange!! Here in New England, we definitely wait "in line"...

NHDisneyKid - I can definitely relate. I was also born in MA and raised in NH - stayed in NH for college too and we definitely say "soda" and we wait "in-line". I've heard "on-line" at lot down south though.

Originally posted by Zandy595
People really still say tonic in some parts of the country? Even kids? I always thought that was an outdated term.

I believe it still is an outdated term. I haven't heard anyone call it tonic other than my Grandmother who passed away over 10 years ago. Here in Southern NH, it's almost always called soda unless you get a real die-hard yankee!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter