Soda or Pop?

Mickeyhugger

DIS Veteran
After all of the excitement the past couple of days that DCL is doing away w/the 'soda card', I've noticed threads about 'pop' and 'soda'

In Texas, we call every carbonated beverage a 'Coke'. (I know it sounds unusual, but ask any Texan, most of them will agree.) LOL!

Yet other cruisers I've noticed refer to 'soda' or 'pop.'

My father (from his depression-era childhood) still calls it 'sodie-pop.'

What region is everyone else from, and when buying soft drinks on DCL, do you call it 'soda' or 'pop.'?

(Our family drinks Dr. Pepper, when we're out, we need more 'Cokes.'):hyper:

If I'm just referring to it in general I call carbonated beverages "soda". If I want something specific I call it whatever it is, Sprite, Pepsi, etc.

I know the word "coke" is just a general word that you use for carbonated beverages but it made me chuckle that you call a Pepsi product (Dr. Pepper) "coke". ;)

:wave:
I'm from the Philadelphia region originally and we always called it soda. We have lived in South Florida for 22 years and luckily it's soda here as well! ::yes::

We live in the Pittsburgh, PA area and we call it "pop". A "soda" to us, is a beverage with ice cream and "pop" or soda water.

When we travel, we have learned to ask for the beverage by name (Pepsi, Rootbeer, Slice, Gingerale, etc.) and this is what we will do on board.

My sweet granny also used to call it "sodie-pop". Thanks for the trip down memory lane!:)

My family and I all call canned carbonated beverages "Pop" because we are originally from OH. We still get weird looks from the people in FL everytime we ask for a Pop. hehe!

Tink

It's pop or "coke" in West Virginia. When we are traveling we make a point to ask for a beverage by its product name. I'm a diet pepsi drinker. When I ask my DH to pick up pop or coke, he always comes home with the diet pepsi. It truely is a regional thing. Question: When you buy pop, do you put it in poke?:confused:

coke is it here in Atlanta too. We usually just call the item whatever the brand name is. Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite...Almost everyone here serves coke products, except for Taco Bell and KFC. If I need to pick up stuff for a party I go to the store to get some cokes.

So if your in Texas and want to drink "Sprite" and all the soda/pop there is called "Coke" how do they know what type of "Coke" to bring?

Mickey Minder,

Talk about a trip down memory lane.... When I was a teenage (years and years and years ago!!) I worked in a grocery store as a cashier. An older gentleman came up and asked me, "How about a poke?" I just stared at the old guy. I wasn't sure if he was being perverted or what!! I continued to just stare at him, and he says, "Could you give me a poke?" As I was about to put my index finger into his ribs he says, "Haven't you got any paper pokes?" Finally I realized this guy wants a grocery "bag". I handed him a whole stack of bags and ran into the back stock room laughing.

Had never heard this term "poke" used in that manner before and other than relaying this story to friends and family, I've never came across anyone you has used it since!!!

Don't drink too much of it, but I use whatever word will get me the right beverage. Knowing that anything Disney is all Coke, Coke it is.

Growing up as an Air Force brat, I have heard it called everything. I lived mostly in the South, so everything was a "coke" or as my grandmother called them "co-cola". Now I live in Colorado and I have been calling them pops for quite awhile.

I'll be the odd one out here - always called them soft drinks! Don't know if that's a Canadian prairie thing or just my family though. I can't recall hearing either "soda" or "pop" with any regularlity.

The only time I heard "pop" was when the store "Pic a Pop" was around!

Definitely "soda" here in NJ. My husband is originally from the Pittsburgh area where they call them "pop" but I've thankfully converted him. We met up in college in central PA (lancaster county) and I'm pretty sure it was "soda" there too.

Everything is called a "Coke" here in Atlanta, this is where the Coke Headquarters are afterall. :)

I grew up in Springfield, IL and it was always referred to as soda. I carried that down here to Florida where I mainly hear it referred to as soda.

Point of clarification Princess Michelle, Dr. Pepper is not a Pepsi product. It is an independent company, just like Coke, Pepsi, R/C etc. But Dr. Pepper is often bottled and distributed by companies that also bottle and distribute Coke, or Pepsi or R/C.
Here in my area, it is bottled by Dr. Pepper, and they also make R-C.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter