So...why do wheelchairs/scooters get priority boarding?

disneymarie said:
I just posted (snip -- close enough up above for you to q.v.) man embarassing me
This is a job for Superman, er, Mighty Mouse, er, Guest Relations. CMs acting in an unDisneylike manner or making false accusations or sending you back to the end of the line you already waited through may be reported there.

I have no issue with wheelchairs/ECVs boarding an empty bus-it makes sense from a safety standpoint. It's what- an extra 5- 10 minutes, max? No problem. What chafes me, is when I've been waiting in line, and an ecv or chair comes afterward and gets on a bus before me. Not on the bus before me, but gets on an earlier bus. And I've only been to wdw a dozen times, but I've seen this happen at least 3-4 dozen times... It happens 5-6 times a trip- and more often than it used to, because, IMO, there are more ECVs than there used to be 10 years ago. Maybe I have bad luck, or maybe I only travel in the busy times? But I am not exaggerating. What is the solution? I don't know. And is the extra half hour wait, 5-6 times a trip going to kill me? No..., but it is sure bothersome at the time.

I have no issue with wheelchairs/ECVs boarding an empty bus-it makes sense from a safety standpoint. It's what- an extra 5- 10 minutes, max? No problem. What chafes me, is when I've been waiting in line, and an ecv or chair comes afterward and gets on a bus before me. Not on the bus before me, but gets on an earlier bus. And I've only been to wdw a dozen times, but I've seen this happen at least 3-4 dozen times... It happens 5-6 times a trip- and more often than it used to, because, IMO, there are more ECVs than there used to be 10 years ago. Maybe I have bad luck, or maybe I only travel in the busy times? But I am not exaggerating. What is the solution? I don't know. And is the extra half hour wait, 5-6 times a trip going to kill me? No..., but it is sure bothersome at the time.

I get that it can be annoying. But when I start to get annoyed I think to myself "Would I trade spots with them? Would I want to tour WDW in a wheelchair?" And the answer is always NO! It may get annoying to have to stand there and wait multiple buses, but I would still rather be me than them.

Just that your post was the lost recent addressing this, I like it.
I can't Do it anymore, the line with all our special needs, the wait, not enough room, wait again for accessable bus, then wait our turn again. There is no where for me to sit for my own injuries, I just stood there behind the wheel chair with tears of pain rolling down my cheeks. I am not even excited to go again.

It is a lot easier to be first on last off......but now there is no priority loading, ispecifically we used th MK bus. Waited through the main line, then had to wait for an empty bus, and accessable bus. The access sables are usually lined up waiting for buses, now as only two fit, the wait is not only for the main line, but for your turn again in the accessable area. Long days, now longer, a lot longer!
If they ever invent an ECV that can tow the rest of the family or I am on Valium, I am not even dreaming of Disney, I am reliving another nightmare.

punn said:
I think this is a hot topic. I have no problem with a wheelchair boarding first and completely understand why. My problem is when you are already waiting in line at the end of the night and not even inside the ropes yet and you watch a wheelchair just pull up and board the next bus taking with them up to 6 other people i'm sorry but that is wrong. Let them wait in line or at least their family wait in line. When the family reaches the front of the line to board then let them all get on like the rest of us. Some people choose to step aside and wait for a bus so they can sit the family of the disabled can do the same thing so they can get on first too.

Two trips ago we had ECVs roll up right before a bus came at least three times. On one occasion we had already been waiting for a bus for about 20-25 minutes, and one family/group had so many people most of the line had to wait for another bus. There has to be a better way to handle the line situation. On our most recent trip we rarely even had ECV riding guests on buses with us, but once the extra time it took to load 2 ECVs allowed us to catch a bus we would have otherwise missed. Score! I guess it all evens out. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter