So What's Up With Mousekeeping?

SimonSez

DIS Veteran
I've been seeing on other Dis forums that there's been problems with mousekeeping at the resorts. Things like not cleaning a room for a couple days and only coming into the room to pick up the tip. This doesn't sound like the mouskeepers I've experienced in the past :confused3 Apparently there's a summer intern program for mousekeeping and the like, not sure if this is part of the problem, but word is the interns don't stay all that long and may get minimal training. Has anyone experienced less than stellar mousekeeping, or even mousekeeping that goes above and beyond what you might expect?

Was there a few weeks back and we had no issues. In fact our Mousekeeper was kind enough to leave our room till one of her last on our check out Day, giving us extra time to utilize the room.. very nice!

Yup. Stayed at the Poly in a studio (cash reservation) June 15-17 and there was a hair on the wall of the shower and crumbs, hair, and merchandise tags all over the floor.

I've been seeing on other Dis forums that there's been problems with mousekeeping at the resorts. Things like not cleaning a room for a couple days and only coming into the room to pick up the tip. This doesn't sound like the mouskeepers I've experienced in the past :confused3 Apparently there's a summer intern program for mousekeeping and the like, not sure if this is part of the problem, but word is the interns don't stay all that long and may get minimal training. Has anyone experienced less than stellar mousekeeping, or even mousekeeping that goes above and beyond what you might expect?
No. We've taken several WDW trips over the past few years (see signature), and have not had any significant problems with Mousekeeping, ever.

Keep in mind that when someone is unhappy about something, they like to vent. When everything is peachy, they're less likely to post. So the complaints about Mousekeeping on the boards are mostly people who had an unusually bad experience. Those happen, but are rare. Often they're the result of a room failing to be processed before being opened up to the next guest.

I've also read posts by people who were down on their resort stay in general ("didn't get the room I wanted, the buses took a long time, too expensive", etc.), who also tack on a complaint about Mousekeeping onto their list of grievances. Keep the complaints you read in perspective. Mistakes happen, but the vast majority of the time, Mousekeeping does a competant job.

If you ever do have a problem, walk to the front desk (don't call- that goes to a call center), and politely complain. They'll make it right for you if you give them a chance.

Last edited:

No. We've taken several WDW trips over the past few years (see signature), and have not had any significant problems with Mousekeeping, ever.

Keep in mind that when someone is unhappy about something, they like to vent. When everything is peachy, they're less likely to post. So the complaints about Mousekeeping on the boards are mostly people who had an unusually bad experience. Those happen, but are rare. Often they're the result of a room failing to be processed before being opened up to the next guest.

I've also read posts by people who were down on their resort stay in general ("didn't get the room I wanted, the buses took a long time, too expensive", etc.), who also tack on a complaint about Mousekeeping onto their list of grievances. Keep the complaints you read in perspective. Mistakes happen, but the vast majority of the time, Mousekeeping does a competant job.

If you ever do have a problem, walk to the front desk (don't call- that goes to a call center), and politely complain. They'll make it right for you if you give them a chance.
This is good to know Shanti. I agree that people tend to talk more about bad experiences than the good ones, I'm probably no exception. Lol, need to quit reading the negative stuff with our trip so close pixiedust:

Yup. Stayed at the Poly in a studio (cash reservation) June 15-17 and there was a hair on the wall of the shower and crumbs, hair, and merchandise tags all over the floor.

When you called Housekeeping, what was the response? I mean, obviously that room hadn't been cleaned, so you must have gotten in touch with someone about it.

Here is my personal view....

1) Like said before, people really only report the negative stuff. Not the outstanding or "expected" service they receive.

2) You combine that (point 1) with what I see becoming an almost insane level of entitlement some our fellow guests feel Disney "owes" them. Some of this may come with the prices we pay now...but still most of it I feel is unwarranted. People will complain left and right about the most trivial things now.

3) Lack of knowledge. Some people don't get that Mousekeepers don't exactly visit every single day in some places. And when you expect that...you'd equate that to poor service rather than SOP. When I first made the jump to DVC...and started staying on property that was something I had to get used to because I was previously unaware.

4) I've personally never had a problem.

5) I feel MOST people who complain about conditions at Disney are frauds. The reason I say this is because if you ever have ANY issues...all you need is express your concerns to a cast member. And if valid they will be taken care of expeditiously. Like the New York subways...if you see something...say something. If you didn't say something about your negative experience...it's your fault I feel.

ALLLL of that being said....I will say this. Being somewhat of a Disney purist...and having had traveled their since 1986...

I do feel that as a WHOLE...the customer service levels have dropped. They are by no means TERRIBLE and are still better than most places. But some of the little things seem to be being overlooked in training. For example....being guided to something in a store instead of being directed to it. Having correct answers to some simpler questions. Little things like that. They are still great and I appreciate the job that cast members do. I've personally never had an issue with Mousekeeping in all of my years travelling to Disney. And any issue I've ever had, Disney has been MORE than accommodating about it when warranted.

1) Like said before, people really only report the negative stuff. Not the outstanding or "expected" service they receive.

2) You combine that (point 1) with what I see becoming an almost insane level of entitlement some our fellow guests feel Disney "owes" them. Some of this may come with the prices we pay now...but still most of it I feel is unwarranted. People will complain left and right about the most trivial things now.

3) Lack of knowledge. Some people don't get that Mousekeepers don't exactly visit every single day in some places. And when you expect that...you'd equate that to poor service rather than SOP. When I first made the jump to DVC...and started staying on property that was something I had to get used to because I was previously unaware.

5) I feel MOST people who complain about conditions at Disney are frauds. The reason I say this is because if you ever have ANY issues...all you need is express your concerns to a cast member. And if valid they will be taken care of expeditiously. Like the New York subways...if you see something...say something. If you didn't say something about your negative experience...it's your fault I feel.

ALLLL of that being said....I will say this. Being somewhat of a Disney purist...and having had traveled their since 1986...

I do feel that as a WHOLE...the customer service levels have dropped. They are by no means TERRIBLE and are still better than most places. But some of the little things seem to be being overlooked in training. For example....being guided to something in a store instead of being directed to it. Having correct answers to some simpler questions. Little things like that. They are still great and I appreciate the job that cast members do. I've personally never had an issue with Mousekeeping in all of my years travelling to Disney. And any issue I've ever had, Disney has been MORE than accommodating about it when warranted.
3) The only place Housekeeping doesn't visit every single day is DVC accommodations staying on points. Every where else SHOULD be getting a daily service, even guests who are staying in DVC resorts paying cash.

5) Or people could just do the job they're supposed to do to start with, right? Saying it is a guest's fault that a room wasn't cleaned properly? Uh, no.

Every trip we've had adequate housekeeping, nothing more.

The college program has always had some people into the housekeeping department
- or at least they did when I was in it about 10 years ago. So if this is a new problem I think it's kind of unfair to point the blame in that direction.

I've never had any problem with mousekeeping.

Last week, my room didn't get done one day, but that was my own fault -- I forgot to remove the do not disturb sign before we left the room for the day.

3) The only place Housekeeping doesn't visit every single day is DVC accommodations staying on points. Every where else SHOULD be getting a daily service, even guests who are staying in DVC resorts paying cash.

5) Or people could just do the job they're supposed to do to start with, right? Saying it is a guest's fault that a room wasn't cleaned properly? Uh, no.

Every trip we've had adequate housekeeping, nothing more.

I didn't BLAME the customer. You did not interpret that right. So please don't "Uh, no." me. There is no point in being rude, especially if you did not interpret something in the correct manner. Disney has a 70% return rate. SEVENTY. That means that the majority of guests have been there before. The Disney experience (and what they do to ensure it) is "common knowledge" to most at this point. So yes, I feel that if you walk away with a specific, correctable bad experience (such as room issues) at Disney without giving them an opportunity to correct it...it's kind of on you. It does not mean that it's their FAULT they got bad service. If something is bad enough to complain about on a forum...it's bad enough to say something to guest relations or to a cast member.

Also, I used my PERSONAL DVC experience as an example to my point. I had CLEARLY stated "in some places" cleaning services were not daily.

I suggest that if you're going to be overtly critical about what someone is saying (especially unnecessarily); that you actually READ and digest what they're saying properly.

- or at least they did when I was in it about 10 years ago. So if this is a new problem I think it's kind of unfair to point the blame in that direction.

Thank you! My DD is in DCP currently and is housekeeping. It wasn't her first choice (or 2nd or 3rd lol), but I know she goes in every single day with the expectation to make magic. She takes her job very serious, as do all the CPs she has worked with. Our last three visits to WDW I have been more focused on the CPs working at Disney, and have been seriously impressed with every one we encountered. I guarantee you if Disney is having an issue with housekeeping (which I don't believe they are!), it's not the CPs that are the problem.

Wasn't pointing the blame on anyone. I was just pointing out what I was hearing on some of the resort threads where folks were wondering if the lack of upkeep had something to do with the intern program. If it was, it wasn't the fault of the interns, but those who train them. Kinda worried someone would take offense at that, that's why we try to word our message carefully, guess i didn't :rolleyes1 Sorry if I stepped on toes, I'm a big supporter of these kinds of programs and education in general. Probably shouldn't have started this thread...:scratchin

Last edited:
We've been at Disney a lot over the past 18 months. Haven't had a single issue with our room not being cleaned. I don't think there's an increase in it at all. I think there are just more folks reporting their issues.

I have not had any issues with Disney housekeeping in any of my visits. I agree that if you every do have an issue, you should bring it up to the resort so they have an opportunity to fix it.

In my recent visit this month at the Pop Century Resort, I was somewhat apprehensive after reading these boards. I'm sure that there are occasional issues, like in any massive operation, but the majority of visits are trouble-free. In my room, housekeeping was particularly thoughtful and left us extra toiletries to take to the water parks.

We were just there in April and didn't have a problem. We would hang our towels up to use later and always had fresh new towels each time. Now we also never left a mess in the room. We generally kept our area clean.

Agree with the sense of entitlement. Good grief you see that on the highway everyday. We just got back from the mountains and you wouldn't believe the way some drivers acted--well you probably do. Bad behavior while driving is nothing new, but it seems to have gone to a whole new level of rudeness. Lucky we made it back in one piece, no exaggeration :scared1:

I didn't BLAME the customer. You did not interpret that right. So please don't "Uh, no." me. There is no point in being rude, especially if you did not interpret something in the correct manner. Disney has a 70% return rate. SEVENTY. That means that the majority of guests have been there before. The Disney experience (and what they do to ensure it) is "common knowledge" to most at this point. So yes, I feel that if you walk away with a specific, correctable bad experience (such as room issues) at Disney without giving them an opportunity to correct it...it's kind of on you. It does not mean that it's their FAULT they got bad service. If something is bad enough to complain about on a forum...it's bad enough to say something to guest relations or to a cast member.

Also, I used my PERSONAL DVC experience as an example to my point. I had CLEARLY stated "in some places" cleaning services were not daily.

I suggest that if you're going to be overtly critical about what someone is saying (especially unnecessarily); that you actually READ and digest what they're saying properly.
You have to wonder who the 30% are who don't return...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!