So what if we are not rollercoaster fans?

I think it was the feeling of height factor. Any other rides at Disney I went on, I was ok. That said our last trip was with a 14, 8, and 5 year old. My husband did all the coasters with my eldest and the little ones and I stayed on the simple rides.
Watching some videos and at least for Harry Potter theme my whole family could handle Gringotts, but Journey would be a big NO for myself and youngest.

If it was the illusion of height and not the screens that bothered you, you should be okay with most of the rides at Universal. You are correct in you assesment of Forbidden Journey. You may also want to consider skipping the Simpsons ride. You should be okay with all of the other screen-based rides. If I have left out one that may bother you, another wonderful poster here will add to the list.

Would people here consider Minion Mayhem a ride where there's a strong illusion of height like Soarin'?

We are a family of five. Two of us are absolutely not thrill ride fans, one isn't sure, one loves them and one enjoys them, but getting a little older and would rather just not 😀.
We've been to Disney three times and have always enjoyed it, but kids were young.
I've always wanted a universal trip, but is it worthwhile with the dynamics?
I think we will all enjoy the 'show' style rides. We have three Harry Potter fans.

**UPDATED** So after a few days of awesome advice and a little research I'm feeling better. One of the things I pay attention to is the "seatbelt" of the ride. So looking at say The mummy ride, it's just the seated bar. So yes my entire family can handle a ride that's got bumps and speed, but not so intense we are fully strapped in. Even Hagrids may be ok...that said the full over shoulder, your pinned in like Hulk, I'm out. So other than my old body arguing about bumps and bruises, it looks like once I mentally prep myself, many rides will be a blast.

Careful, the new Velicoaster doesn't have the shoulder restraint traditionally found on coasters with inversions

Would people here consider Minion Mayhem a ride where there's a strong illusion of height like '?

There are non moving seats in the back if that makes it easier for you. I'm NOT a thrill person and grabbed one of those when we walked in letting my teen daughter take one of the seats that moved. When it got "too intense" I just looked down, but the sensation (or lack thereof) really helped me.

The pre-show features Gru making some pretty Gru like statements- "this will be fun… for me" laughing that kind of thing. If you're familiar with the movies it's in the spirit of the character, but there was a young elementary age girl in our group who freaked out. Her parents carried her in screaming and made her ride it. Of course by the end she was fine, and found it fun but if that kind of thing will wind up your kiddos you might have them watch the ride on youtube so you know what to expect.

I think it was the feeling of height factor. Any other rides at Disney I went on, I was ok. That said our last trip was with a 14, 8, and 5 year old. My husband did all the coasters with my eldest and the little ones and I stayed on the simple rides.
Watching some videos and at least for Harry Potter theme my whole family could handle Gringotts, but Journey would be a big NO for myself and youngest.
I agree. Gringotts was fabulous with great theming, a thing that Universal does so well. However, Journey was way too intense for me. I don't like the feeling of leaning over or "falling backwards" that you get with the arm mechanism. It felt like we were going over backwards, of course, we didn't. I didn't like the "feel" of the ride. I felt it was too intense for me. But I love Gringotts!

I agree. Gringotts was fabulous with great theming, a thing that Universal does so well. However, Journey was way too intense for me. I don't like the feeling of leaning over or "falling backwards" that you get with the arm mechanism. It felt like we were going over backwards, of course, we didn't. I didn't like the "feel" of the ride. I felt it was too intense for me. But I love Gringotts!
I had the same problem with Journey the first time I rode it. I really didn't like the falling backwards feeling. I kept worrying how far back I would go. On the second ride I could relax and enjoy it, because I knew that I could handle the backwards part and I knew I wasn't going to end up standing on my head. I find that I need to know all about the ride so that I relax and enjoy it.

We are a family of five. Two of us are absolutely not thrill ride fans, one isn't sure, one loves them and one enjoys them, but getting a little older and would rather just not 😀.
We've been to Disney three times and have always enjoyed it, but kids were young.
I've always wanted a universal trip, but is it worthwhile with the dynamics?
I think we will all enjoy the 'show' style rides. We have three Harry Potter fans.

**UPDATED** So after a few days of awesome advice and a little research I'm feeling better. One of the things I pay attention to is the "seatbelt" of the ride. So looking at say The mummy ride, it's just the seated bar. So yes my entire family can handle a ride that's got bumps and speed, but not so intense we are fully strapped in. Even Hagrids may be ok...that said the full over shoulder, your pinned in like Hulk, I'm out. So other than my old body arguing about bumps and bruises, it looks like once I mentally prep myself, many rides will be a blast.
You will still have Plenty of fun. We are roller coaster people normally, but opted to skip all of the big ones ( metal detector rides) this last trip. We talked about doing them, but just never got around to it. We’ve done them all before, except Velocicoaster. We didn’t feel like we missed anything, I hope you can try Hagrid’s that was super cool! We also enjoyed Mummy. We were there 5 nights and headed back in 2 months, Universal is always worth it to us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter