"So this funny thing happened in line at Disney..."

BellsFam

DIS Veteran
Fill in the blank!

I thought it would be fun to tell stories of people you met, talked to, strange things you've seen in line at a Disney park...

I become the pied piper... :)

We brought a Nook, and I have downloaded stories on it, so while we wait in line the Nook comes out and reads aloud to DD... In line once for Woody and Jessie over by Splash Mountain, the parents stayed in line and the kids all sat with us to read a story off the Nook... (The Berenstain Bears and the Bedtime Battle, if you were interested, and there's a bubble popping part that we let all the kids pop bubbles on!!!)... kinda made waiting in a super long line enjoyable!

What's yours?

How cool! I think this is exactly why they are working on making more interactive queues (HM, Little Mermaid and now 7DMT). Kids are geared toward this kind of entertainment that lends itself well to waiting in lines!

We have struck up conversations with others, blown bubbles, played the Family Feud app as a family, people watched... etc.

A few years ago my husband and I were in line for Snow White's Scary Adventures. :sad1:

We were there for my inlaws' 45th anniversary and we had t-shirts made up that said "Ralph and Sally got married 45 years ago and all we got was this trip to Disney."

The woman behind us in line asked us if we had really been married for 45 years. Since we were both in our 30s at the time that would have been hard.

Then she noticed we were looking at a park map and she said, with amazement, "Oh, there's a map for this place?"

:bitelip:

Well, it wasn't in a Disney line, but at IOA in line for the Forbidden Journey in WWoHP. It was about a 70 minute wait. As we were nearing the part of the line that enters the castle, we started looking at how far we had come. This part of the line is in the greenhouse and has several rows of back and forth before going downstairs to another section of back and forth line. So, we decided to start a wave. At first it was just the 10 of us (two families), but we eventually persuaded the girls in front of us and two guys behind us to do it and before you know it, we had a wave going all the way across the line and even down the stairs to the queue below. It was so fun!

Last year in Epcot, we repeatedly ran into the same family. They had a son about the same age as ours who was very chatty and friendly, the opposite of my shy guy. Their little boy started a conversation with us in line for Mission Space, then an hour or so later, they were in front of us in the Soarin' line and then an hour or so after that, we were seated at Biergarten and who gets seated with us? You got it, same family! We felt like old friends at that point. :goodvibes We saw them 2 more times after that on the same day.

This is more post-line, I suppose, but I think it is still mostly applicable!

DH and I were coming out of the movie at the end of Maelstrom. Behind us is an older gentleman, very gruffly saying to his family, "Well, I don't care about the PEOPLE. I just wanted to know about the COUNTRY!" :rotfl2:

The oddest thing that happened in line around us was in line for Soarin'. A Mom dad and two teens (brother and sister) just ahead of us in line. the teens were goofin' around and kind of bickering, but mostly harmless stuff. I had my back to them when DH's face goes white as a sheet and his eyes pop open. I noticed the teens were suddenly silent, and turned around to see the teen girl leaning against the wall with a tear running down her face.

According to DH, the mom had slapped her.

The oddest thing that happened in line around us was in line for Soarin'. A Mom dad and two teens (brother and sister) just ahead of us in line. the teens were goofin' around and kind of bickering, but mostly harmless stuff. I had my back to them when DH's face goes white as a sheet and his eyes pop open. I noticed the teens were suddenly silent, and turned around to see the teen girl leaning against the wall with a tear running down her face.

That would have been a REALLY hard one for me to let go of. As someone who has to make reports to child welfare services a lot, I think I might have really lost it. Some people are pretty amazing, the things they will do in public..

That would have been a REALLY hard one for me to let go of. As someone who has to make reports to child welfare services a lot, I think I might have really lost it. Some people are pretty amazing, the things they will do in public..

I have to agree. :( A few months back I saw a mother repeatedly slap her son (who I would guess was around 9 years old.) They were outside the restrooms near the Mad Tea Party and I honestly did not see what the child did to provoke her (they were speaking in a language I couldn't understand) but she continually hit him. I mean over and over and over until his face was beet red and myself and several other mothers stood there unsure what to do or say but feeling sickened by the entire scene.

A few years ago my husband and I were in line for Snow White's Scary Adventures. :sad1:

We were there for my inlaws' 45th anniversary and we had t-shirts made up that said "Ralph and Sally got married 45 years ago and all we got was this trip to Disney."

The woman behind us in line asked us if we had really been married for 45 years. Since we were both in our 30s at the time that would have been hard.

Then she noticed we were looking at a park map and she said, with amazement, "Oh, there's a map for this place?"

:bitelip:

Only enough to wallpaper the Castle, too funny :rotfl2:

I have to agree. :( A few months back I saw a mother repeatedly slap her son (who I would guess was around 9 years old.) They were outside the restrooms near the Mad Tea Party and I honestly did not see what the child did to provoke her (they were speaking in a language I couldn't understand) but she continually hit him. I mean over and over and over until his face was beet red and myself and several other mothers stood there unsure what to do or say but feeling sickened by the entire scene.

:worried: These are heartbreaking stories and I can only imagine the things that CMs have seen, just so awful in such a wonderful place.

One very hot July 4th week we were waiting in line for Dumbo--back before they were doubled and had that super cool play area.

There we are standing in this horrible hot and crowded line when a little boy looks up at his Mom and says in his best, loudest outside voice "Mommy you have a moustache!" :eek: In an effort to make this better,she just whispered "shhh, no honey I don't" "YES YOU DO MOMMY IT'S RIGHT THERE!!"

I can neither confirm nor deny that this was myself and my darling son when he was 6 :rolleyes1. I do know that the Mom in question definitely does NOT have a moustache ;)

So this funny thing happened in line at Disney... While we were waiting for the opening show at MK, I hear this kid behind me whining about being at Disney World. The kid says, "I don't want to go to Disney World, I want to go to Disneyland." Dad responds, " We are already here so we are going to Disney World today and we will go to Disneyland tomorrow." I sure hope he had a charter jet ready or else I don't think he made it.

In September 2006, DH and I were fortunate enough to go to Disneyland. We were in line for It's A Small World. This queue line was outside...so we were busy comparing the attractions - WDW vs DL. There was a family next to us with a little girl around 6 or so. We keep moving along. Then I look down. This little girl was LICKING the railing...I am mean running her tongue all the way down the length of the rail. Ewww, ewww, ewww! I still kringe every time I think about this!

Chewie popped out of a hidden door in the Star Tours queue and scared the bejeezus out of me one time.

That's pretty much it lol.

Disney is 1100+ miles from our house. We were at the turnstiles of Epcot, waiting for it to open, when we struck up a conversation with the couple in front of us. We discovered that they lived 20 miles from our home.

It really is a small world.

Disney is 1100+ miles from our house. We were at the turnstiles of Epcot, waiting for it to open, when we struck up a conversation with the couple in front of us. We discovered that they lived 20 miles from our home.

I'd forgotten about this but when I was in high school my family went to WDW. We were standing in line for IT'S A SMALL WORLD (seriously...I kid you not...), we turn around, and there's our pastor and his family.

Bizarre but very cool.

I've had this happen, too! I met a random family from my area while waiting for Yak & Yeti to open. They were "stuck" at Disney because Hurricane Sandy had cancelled all flights home!

my brother and I were in line for Primeval Whirl with his 3 teenage boys 16,15, 11. We had convinced them to go on the kiddie rollercoaster because it was covered and they could stand out of the rain. We decided to entertain/embarrass the boys-so we began singing and dancing the Hokey Pokey. The rest of the line joined in. It was fabulous.

Years ago, when HS was MGM and Star Tours v.1 was the coolest technology, we were in line for said ride when some 'incident' slowed the line down - we assume a guest left a 'present' from the ride.
The queue was full and everyone was taking in the atmosphere with all the decorations and costumes and all the sudden you heard the start of the Imperial March. Soon, a large group of college age kids had started humming the march in perfect pitch (in at least 3 part harmony). Turns out a college choir was in the park to perform and a large group were in line waiting. We ended up hearing three or four SW themed songs. It was so neat - well done and because they were dispersed in the line it felt like they filled the line. The whole line started going along and even the CMs were getting into it. One of the better ways to kill a delay I've had!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter