So Pete’s a licenced Real Estate Agent...

My take is you can say things are inclusive “children are welcome here” but can’t say thing that would show preference to a lifestyle or apply anything about the demographics ie no talking about schools beyond scores.

So a comment that “there is an XYZ church, that have a strong presence in the community, runs an excellent private school and host many community events” might sound positive or “good” but could be problematic.
But I may be misunderstanding and feel free to correct me.
Ok, so can they say stuff to clients in person that can not be said on a podcast then?

So real estate agents can only mention the "good" about areas and not any "bad"?
I think there are some things that they can tell you if you specifically ask, but they aren’t required to disclose if you don’t. But if I were moving to a new city I would be Googling crime stats before ever seeking out an agent, to know where I would not want to live.

The bigger question I have is without the theme parks, why would anyone move to Orlando? That's a serious question. I get no snow, FL taxes, and halfway in between two coasts, but the pay in Florida isn't great, traffic is terrible, it's unbearable in the summer, and the bugs/alligators. It truly let's you know how important Disney is to the area.

With that being said, Pete seems like a smart businessman who is trying to diversify, but it makes me wonder where Orlando real estate is headed if you can't get into the parks, without being a guest, with the COVID restrictions.
Without the theme parks, the area wouldn't be the draw that it is. But the parks aren't going away. Universal, Sea World, and Busch Gardens have already reopened. Disney begins reopening in 3 weeks. Many of the smaller attractions have either already reopened or will do so shortly. I don't think anything has really changed from a long term point of view.

Wait, when did he announce that he's a licensed real estate agent? I must have missed something...

Good for Pete. This is interesting. I really have no clue about the laws and such.

The laws definitely prevent realtors from discussing things like crime, racial and ethnic make up of a neighborhood, openness to LGBTQ folks, quality of the schools, family friendliness of the neighborhood, etc.

I wonder how that will impact them posting content profiling various towns and neighborhoods.

The laws definitely prevent realtors from discussing things like crime, racial and ethnic make up of a neighborhood, openness to LGBTQ folks, quality of the schools, family friendliness of the neighborhood, etc.

I wonder how that will impact them posting content profiling various towns and neighborhoods.

It prevents them from mentioning that stuff? Wow - that seems absurd to me. I mean, isn't that the kind of stuff you'd want to know??

What's the problem? They can always bring someone else in to the show who can give an opinion about something that a realtor couldn't. This is such a non-issue.

Reactions: GAN
What's the problem? They can always bring someone else in to the show who can give an opinion about something that a realtor couldn't.
Can they, though? I'm just thinking "out loud" here but before, it was Pete, a guy who owned a travel agency and ran a Disney website, bringing in a realtor to talk about real estate. No issues there. Now, however, Pete is the owner and realtor. Can he bring in a non-realtor and have them say all of the stuff he is no longer allowed to say?

How would that differ from your local realtor saying, "Oh, you want to hear about the crime and schools and racial breakdown? I can't tell you that but come over here and talk to Joe. He's not a realtor so he can tell you all that stuff."

I don't know the details of the law but that seems to me like it would still be a violation as it would clearly be intentionally skirting the law.

Does that make sense? Do we have any realtors (or lawyers) here who can address this? @jcb is this in your wheelhouse?

It prevents them from mentioning that stuff? Wow - that seems absurd to me. I mean, isn't that the kind of stuff you'd want to know??

Yes. It’s the Fair Housing Act. Not absurd ... a real thing that serves a purpose, look it up. Realtors cannot answer questions about demographics, crime, offer opinions about schools, etc.

Basically, realtors can give you lots of information about the actual home you are buying but you need to do your own legwork to research any neighborhood related details.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t call it a problem more of us musing how it changes the content.

This might be a little out there but also thinking aloud I wonder how it affects him as a travel agent discussing off site hotels. For instance. he could never as a real estate agent suggest that an area is a dump and has a horrible crime rate, so be wary of buying a house there. Clearly that’s a no no.
But what if he is discussing a hotel and an area of town as a travel agent? Can he tell us not to STAY there because it’s an unsafe part of town and in a dump?

I get that he may be wearing different “hats” but when they share a studio, a YouTube channel, and interlinked sites doesn't it all bleed together? So does this limit him when discussing offsite hotels and their locations in the Orlando area and Florida in general?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!