Votes: 35 17.4%
  • 400-500

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • 500-600

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • More than 600 - you are an addict

Votes: 37 18.4%

• Total voters
Wow...somebody owns 5000+ points. Amazing! You could probably live at SSR for the year!

Yes, I have issues, but I don't drink (much) or gamble :) definitely part of the addict group though (see signature below). We go 3 times in a rolling 12 month period (almost every year since I bought my 1st contract in 1998). I don't stay in studios, our typical WDW year would include trips in May - Oct - Mar (3 trips with AP). Following year Oct - Mar - Oct (again 3 trips with AP). The last couple of years we have mixed it up a bit, stayed in a GrandVilla in early Dec instead of the Oct trip (Grand-babies and F&W aren't the greatest match). We are going again this Dec (BWV GrandVilla) followed by Mar-2018, Oct-2018 and Aulani 2/2019 OV GrandVilla :). Kind of cool that after all these years I am still excited about the options my DVC provides.

By splitting your points across 2 resorts, you lose the 11 month booking window for a 1 bd BLT (either standard or lake view) AND 1 bd BCV. 7 month window could be a problem for BCV. When you add points, I recommending adding at one of your two DVC homes until you have enough points for the type of villa you want. For early June that means 275 points total at BLT (lake view unless you are VERY lucky and can get a standard view) or 255 points total at BCV. Unless you change your plans from early June to early January (my wife's favorite time -- she hates the heat).

I think @ktmo was saying that s/he'd bank/borrow to have enough for a 1BR at BLT 1 year, and then the next year bank/borrow the BCV points for a 1BR, and then the following year do a 1BR at BLT, not that they'd do a 1BR and BLT AND BCV in the same year.

ETA: Oops, @KAT4DISNEY beat me to it! At least this is confirmation that my master plan has legs... (insert evil villain cackle)

455 for us. 250 at BCV and 205 at AKV. We usually go once a year for 8-10 nights in a 2 bedroom. We love bringing family/friends.

1100. Aulani & VGF- Aulani, WDW, DLR at least once each year for a 7-9 nights. We like to bring friends and family and give studio stays to our kid's teachers. We see it as cheaper than a vacation home. For now...

420 total. Started with 100 at AKV. Thought that would be enough but then we stayed in a one bedroom and couldn't look back at a studio. Bought another 160 at AKV. So we could do 9 nights in a standard view every year. We then tried Aulani and added on 160 points there to go every other year for 6 nights with an ocean view. Hopefully we will be able to take half of the AKV points and add on another 3 nights. Then our AKV trips will be longer (13 or 14 nights) with the other half points and bank them for the following year.

We have 346 points.
We go when and where we want.
We are averaging 7 trips per year over 25 years. Currently if we go to all we have booked this year, we will take 8 DVC vacations this year.
We take over-night last minute, long weekends, holidays, and full planned out trips with family.
Over the past year we have taken family with us to Poly, HH, & VB.

We have 860. All at AK except for 200 SSR. We travel anywhere from 2-5 times per year. Definitely two weeks in January and two weeks in October. Always stay in a one bedroom or two bedroom on occasion. I'd like an even 1000, but it's probably not necessary given that dd is getting older and our travel patterns may evolve once she starts high school and she won't be homeschooled anymore.

It seems like they are looking to stay one year at BLT and then the next year at BCV so would be utilizing banking and/or borrowing to get the points required. By doing this they would essentially have 300 BCV points available for their stay and 260 BLT if they go every year but alternate resorts.
Right! What was I thinking? Of course borrowing from next year preserves home resort advantage. I have got to stop drunk posting.

We have 175 at poly. It seemed like a lot when we first bought them. We are looking at purchasing another contract. We are hoping that they eventually go to CSR.

280. We started off with 220 in BLT, then added on 60 AKV from DCL with an on-board deal.

We usually do 2 smaller trips a year.

We only own 175, *for now* :rotfl2:

But seriously, that’s about all we can afford for the next year or two. I try to take one WDW trip and one DL trip each year. I don’t mind split stays though. In WDW we will often also use credit card points to stay at the Swan or Dolphin part of the time. At DL we usually only stay 3-4 nights.

We have 630 points over 4 contracts and 3 resorts. We try to go at least 3 to 4 times a year to make the APs feel like they are a good value.

We need a 2 bedroom at least once a year to bring family, it used to be during September for the lower points but now that the grandkids are older and into cheer/sports they can only go during summer months or school holidays requiring more points.

Studios are great point stretchers but we have become addicted to 1 bedrooms even when it's just the 2 of us. I would love to have more points but the rising MFs give me pause. I just need to get over my total aversion to borrowing.

We have 1040. Started with 220 BRV added 25 SSR then 100 BLT then 160 BLT then 170 BCV then 160 BWV then 50 CCV and finally 125 VGF. I am an addict we live in Ohio and travel to WDW during holidays during the school year.

Do you do lots of split stays? Or just multiple trips per year/ bank points up for longer stays?

520 points. We started in 1993 with OKW now also own BCV. We mostly stay in a 1 BR. Always take a 5 N winter trip and 5 N fall trip for F & W, while mixing in a summer quick getaway.
So if we add another 79 points we're still not in the addicted category? Good to know.

I have a feeling this has been asked before but my wife and I were talking about it and I was curious to see what the norms are. We bought our first contract a little over a year ago of 200 points and thought that would be enough for us and our family. We were wrong... we've picked up 2 more contracts since and we are beginning to think we are nuts. I understand people have different circumstances and availability to travel but I think it would interesting to see if lots of folks on this board have the same problem we do!

I'm also interested in how you use your points. Do you go 12 times/year for 4 day weekends in a studio at OKW or do you bank points for a year and then blow it out for 10 days in a bungalow at Poly?
Our current total points: 335 SSR; first purchase was May 2004 (pre-opening)

We calculated our "need" at 200 points based on: BWV, 1BR Unit, 1 Week, January, every year for a tech conference. Towards that goal, our first DVC purchase was 150 points at SSR in 2004. We banked our first year's points (as we already had our 2005 BWV stay booked via exchange) and knew that would be sufficient to keep us "whole" for a few years. We added a 25-point contract at same resort/UY the following year and thought that was "good enough." Out of the blue, completely unplanned and unexpected, we added 160 points (same resort/UY) in Sept 2007 as our final add-on. (The incentives were a 'perfect fit' for us, in that moment.)

For most years, we've used the points true to our original plan: BWV, 1BR Unit, 7-9 nights, January, every year. In years where we could exchange in against other timeshare, we'd use the DVC points to add nights on either side of the exchange reservation to fit our schedule or to take advantage of special flight fares. In years where we had excess points (thanks to trading in against other timeshare), we used the points for, um, vacations. (How odd?) We've experimented with using the points for F&W (hated it), F&G (loved it), Aulani (loved it), WDW Christmas festivities (mixed reviews), DCL (hated it), hosting a family RunDisney event (loved it!) and random visits to the Grand Cal (love it). Outside the conference use, our stays tend to be short (2-4 nights). We continue to use 1BR units more often than studios even when we are traveling as a couple.

The conference stopped meeting at WDW after 2015. So ... now we find ourselves w/out a plan for our points. We are still experimenting but failed to use enough points this UY. Looks like I'll be banking a very large percentage of my points at the end of this month and be pressed into creative use for the coming UY. Not sure what we'll do going forward. I do hope the recent RCI perks are continued into and through 2018. That might be a big help!

Our current point total is 3,245 split across BCV, BWV, SSR, and OKW.

I found that our favorite contracts so far have been OKW and SSR surprisingly. We like OKW because with the low price point we've been able to accumulate many more points, and SSR because it's a happy mix between entry cost and annual cost. Lately though, we've been considering selling our BCV and BWV points, and rolling the $$$ into either a BLT or VGF contract. With our travel schedule, we just can't seem to get any availability even outside of the 7 month at BCV.
We love it though. We are going to be making our first Hawaii trip to Aulani Spring of 2018. Very excited!!! :mickeyjum:stitch:

Our current point total is 3,245 split across BCV, BWV, SSR, and OKW.

I found that our favorite contracts so far have been OKW and SSR surprisingly. We like OKW because with the low price point we've been able to accumulate many more points, and SSR because it's a happy mix between entry cost and annual cost. Lately though, we've been considering selling our BCV and BWV points, and rolling the $$$ into either a BLT or VGF contract. With our travel schedule, we just can't seem to get any availability even outside of the 7 month at BCV.
We love it though. We are going to be making our first Hawaii trip to Aulani Spring of 2018. Very excited!!! :mickeyjum:stitch:
How much time does that buy you per year?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts