So excited!!! What next?

gisele2

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
Hi, just had my offer accepted by seller. Will be a new DVC owner. I am Canadian, it is a US seller, will I have to get the contract notarized?

Hi, just had my offer accepted by seller. Will be a new DVC owner. I am Canadian, it is a US seller, will I have to get the contract notarized?
we didn't have to. Was a pretty straight forward process. A few electronic signatures and a wire transfer and we were done.

The only DVC resale contracts that we (as Canadian buyers) had to have notarized we our ones for Aulani, but that’s because Hawaii has its own rules. We didn’t have to do it for our OKW contract.

My contracts

1-AKL Financed - notarized
2-AUL paid cash - notarized
3-OKW paid cash - no notarized needed

I am Canadian and just bought a BLT contract last summer. I had to get some forms notorized. It was a reasonable price though.

PS It was financed

The only DVC resale contracts that we (as Canadian buyers) had to have notarized we our ones for Aulani, but that’s because Hawaii has its own rules. We didn’t have to do it for our OKW contract.

Could you please advise what extras were involved buying Aulani? Resale or Direct? I have a contract agreed to but want to make sure I know what I am getting myself in for first in terms of headaches. $70 a point is great, but at what cost in time, extra fees etc.

Closin
Could you please advise what extras were involved buying Aulani? Resale or Direct? I have a contract agreed to but want to make sure I know what I am getting myself in for first in terms of headaches. $70 a point is great, but at what cost in time, extra fees etc.

We‘ve bought 1 OKW contract and 3 Aulani contracts over the past 5 years, all resale and nonefinanced. Aulani is more expensive for closing costs (~US$1000 each time we did it) and closing docs had to be notarized. As we are Canadian, that meant attending at the US consulate, and it was US$50 per signatory. One time we were at Aulani when we received closing docs, so just met a local notary at Monkeypod. Other than that, no real difference than with OKW. I think selling is more involved, as I think there is Hawaii withholding tax for everyone (on top of the typical withholding for International Sellers), but haven’t had to cross that bridge yet.

Closin

We‘ve bought 1 OKW contract and 3 Aulani contracts over the past 5 years, all resale and nonefinanced. Aulani is more expensive for closing costs (~US$1000 each time we did it) and closing docs had to be notarized. As we are Canadian, that meant attending at the US consulate, and it was US$50 per signatory. One time we were at Aulani when we received closing docs, so just met a local notary at Monkeypod. Other than that, no real difference than with OKW. I think selling is more involved, as I think there is Hawaii withholding tax for everyone (on top of the typical withholding for International Sellers), but haven’t had to cross that bridge yet.

Thanks so much for checking this message and responding. Just to confirm then, so it was $50 per signatory. Does that mean if we went to the consolate, we don't have to have it notorized for Canada first, ie not paying for a CDN notary and US? Would it only cost $100 US$ total for my wife and I to sign off on the contract at the consolate, or is it $100 per page, are there more documents, etc.?

I am not worried about the extra selling steps as there is almost no chance we will sell this contract and if it happens it will be because I am dead and one of my kids ignored me again when I said something(ie rent out the points if you don't want them)

Thanks so much for checking this message and responding. Just to confirm then, so it was $50 per signatory. Does that mean if we went to the consolate, we don't have to have it notorized for Canada first, ie not paying for a CDN notary and US? Would it only cost $100 US$ total for my wife and I to sign off on the contract at the consolate, or is it $100 per page, are there more documents, etc.?

I am not worried about the extra selling steps as there is almost no chance we will sell this contract and if it happens it will be because I am dead and one of my kids ignored me again when I said something(ie rent out the points if you don't want them)
We did not have to have anything signed ahead of time. We signed everything in front of the gentleman at the consulate, and he notarized it. US$100 for my husband and I (2 x $50) at the time (last purchase was 2 years ago). May have been a couple of dollars on top of that for tax, etc. I can’t recall.

We did not have to have anything signed ahead of time. We signed everything in front of the gentleman at the consulate, and he notarized it. US$100 for my husband and I (2 x $50) at the time (last purchase was 2 years ago). May have been a couple of dollars on top of that for tax, etc. I can’t recall.
Ok thanks, so that and the cost of parking and getting to Downtown Toronto will be livable. An extra $250 for closing and $100 plus transportation isn't the end of the world on a $70 a point contract.

Congratulations! One hurdle down. Hopefully you pass through ROFR. I don’t think DVC had been exercising their option much lately so you are probably ok.
Good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter