Smugglers Run—Motion Sickness?

I can’t do Star Tours but am fine on FoP (although do look away a few times). The Pilot position doesn’t sit well for me. Gunner or Engineer, I’m good. I seem to be among the few people that actually want to be the Engineer.

Same here. I was there last week and was very happy when I got engineer.

Engineer is not that bad because you can look away from the screen. Yeah it's still bumpy but at least you don't need to be focused on the screen like the pilot does.

Well-controlled Meniere's Disease diagnosee checking in. I take daily HCTZ and fexofenadine as prescribed and haven't had a vertigo attack in almost 5 years now. I had some reservations and didn't ride any "thrill" rides when I was first diagnosed, but have slowly worked my way back up to be able to ride some of my favs like Rockin Rollercoaster, Everest, Tower of Terror, etc. I can do Star Tours, Soarin, Dinosaur, and Spiderman, but I haven't attempted Mission Space orange team for fear of ruining everyone's day. Obviously I'm not insane enough to even attempt Tea Party or that friggin Primeval Whirl, but when the spawn were younger I could do Dumbo if I had a while to recover afterwards. So last week I ended up wrapping up a project at work earlier than expected, so the wife and I packed up the kids for an overnighter last minute Friday night and got to the Studios right about sundown. It was Extra Magic Hours and we booked a room on the drive over at Art of Animation (roughed it because literally NOTHING else was available on 3 hours notice lol) so we could take advantage.

Parked and headed straight for Smuggler's Run, checked in for a DAS pass time and got the kiddos some food. Waited until our assigned time and checked in, got our 'assignments'. My youngest gets motion sickness in the car and occasionally on planes and boats and he and I both got gunner. The wife and my oldest got pilot, but they never have issues. Didn't know the people in the back row but they were super nice. Right off the bat I could tell it wasn't going to be good for me and my head got 'fuzzy' and I got the sweats. Crap...it's been a long time but I know that feeling all too well. I had no option but to close my eyes, brace myself with 1 hand on the seat in front of me and the other on the console next to me, and ride it out. Luckily the ride is over really quickly and didn't push me past the point of no return. Youngest had no problem with it whatsoever though and even wanted to go again, which I VERY quickly put the kabosh on. Haha. I did have to support myself against the wall walking out the exit hallway slowly but wasn't holding anybody up. Once I got outside, the proverbial central Florida evening rain shower had showed up, which was actually REALLY refreshing and kind of helped cool things down and dispersed the masses, who were apparently made of sugar and were about to melt.

Hopefully they can adapt a car or two to an orange team/green team type setup like Mission Space, otherwise Smugglers Run is a one-and-done for me. Can't take the risk of going a 2nd time unfortunately.

Just rode Smugglers Run and I was glad I was Gunner... only starred at the little button the whole time. I’m a one and done for this ride. No way I could have been the pilot.

Certain rides affect me. As an example, I get motion sickness on Star Tours and a lot of the simulator rides at Universal...especially The Simpsons. I also get sea sick on cruises, even with the patch, the band, the ginger gum and bonine. I was fine on Smuggler's Run. I was a pilot and didn't have any issues. Though everyone is different, so it's hard to say.

I was right side pilot and by the end was feeling a twinge in my stomach.
I was right side pilot, and I got very motion sick feeling. Star Tours didn't bother me a bit, but I was also free to look away from the screen if needed. Being pilot doesn't allow that, and it got to me.

Oh boy...DH has issues but I was hoping with him as left pilot (controlling the swinging) and DS as right pilot (keeping the up and down smooth), that DH would be ok. We are a group of 5 so should have the pick of positions. I worry that if DD or I have to be pilots, my DH might be in for a very bumpy ride!

He does like Star Tours but gets sick on FOP. He just looked at RoTR video today and said it looks like Transformers and he is thinking of skipping it.

Just checking back in...OP here. My husband (the motion sick one) was given pilot. We asked CMs the best position for motion sickness prone people, and both said pilot since you are focusing on doing other things. He was in charge of side to side and our 6 year old was the other pilot for up and down motion. Both of them did fine, husband was fine after. I was a gunner so I just kept hitting buttons :)

Just checking back in...OP here. My husband (the motion sick one) was given pilot. We asked CMs the best position for motion sickness prone people, and both said pilot since you are focusing on doing other things. He was in charge of side to side and our 6 year old was the other pilot for up and down motion. Both of them did fine, husband was fine after. I was a gunner so I just kept hitting buttons :)

THANK YOU for reporting back - this was super helpful. Going to try DH as left pilot and my DS17 as right pilot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter