• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Smoking & stroller wagons banned May 1!

Here today. Decided to not bring my double stroller and risk being turned away. Pretty bugged because I didn’t see them even measuring anyone’s stroller let alone telling them they couldn’t bring them in

It’ll be interesting to see how much they enforce these rules. Don’t people still camp out with blankets for parades? Thought that was banned at some point too

Here today. Decided to not bring my double stroller and risk being turned away. Pretty bugged because I didn’t see them even measuring anyone’s stroller let alone telling them they couldn’t bring them in
Have you seen any stroller wagons around today?

Last edited:

It'll be interesting to see exactly how they measure width. If they just have a painted box on the floor, then handles that extend beyond 31", where the base is thinner could get by.

I can see how it would just be easier to have a gate that is 31" wide. If you can walk your stroller through it, then you're good.

agreed, I wonder how wide the wheelchair access gates at the main gates are - it seems like something like that would have been much more efficient than a painted box where everyone is eyeballing if something is .5" over or not

As we were leaving tonight we noticed lots of people smoking along the walkway from the security tents to Harbor Blvd. Several people were stopped smoking right next to the Toy Story shuttle lines. It was so gross as we had no choice but to walk through it.

I asked a cast member and he said right now they don’t have another place so this is where they are allowing it. How can this be okay? You have no way to avoid walking through it now.

As we were leaving tonight we noticed lots of people smoking along the walkway from the security tents to Harbor Blvd. Several people were stopped smoking right next to the Toy Story shuttle lines. It was so gross as we had no choice but to walk through it.

I asked a cast member and he said right now they don’t have another place so this is where they are allowing it. How can this be okay? You have no way to avoid walking through it now.
Well, not really trying to defend them, but with the new smoking ban, the closest place smokers can indulge is outside the security screening areas. So that's where they're going to congregate.

Bummer because I honestly never really was bothered by the smoking section by big thunder. I get the decision but I feel like having to walk through crowds of smokers going in is much more bothersome than just putting a corner for them to smoke in the park. Can’t really avoid it if they’re all on this walk way.. Hope they find a place to ‘suggest’ kindly to smokers so they have somewhere to go.

We were afraid of this. How could Disney not have put a totally separate smoking area in place by now? They've had a month to put something together! Even if it was something temporary it would have been better than just letting smokers crowd the walkway so that everyone has to go through the toxic cloud. We'll be avoiding the Harbor entrance at all costs now until we hear that things have improved.

Last edited:
It’ll be interesting to see how much they enforce these rules. Don’t people still camp out with blankets for parades? Thought that was banned at some point too

haha yeah that "ban" went really well...
The part of that rule that is still in effect is the part that says you cannot put down a blanket, towel, pieces of trash, etc. to save a place and then leave to go ride rides. If you put down a blanket or towel, someone must stay with it the whole time or CMs will pick it up to send to Lost & Found. If you are solo and put down a blanket, ask your neighbors to watch it if you need to use the restrooms. Otherwise CMs will pick it up to remove it. The rule has helped a lot with "abandoned" blankets, towels, clothing, trash, etc. that was littering the parade routes.

I'm trying to think of a location outside security Harbor-side yet on Disney property where a smoking area could be that isn't in a busy walkway, but I'm drawing a blank. City of Anaheim is NOT going to be happy if Disney tells smokers to go congregate on the city sidewalk.

And not measuring strollers? Unless the CMs managing the gates at the turnstile have a good eye for measurements, sounds like Disney is just expecting people to abide by the new rule and that no one will try to push the limit.

If they're going to be 'eyeball measuring', they need to hire my nDH (non-Disney Husband), he's able to 'eyeball' something and is usually right to within a 1/2 inch. Amazing.

I'm trying to think of a location outside security Harbor-side yet on Disney property where a smoking area could be that isn't in a busy walkway, but I'm drawing a blank. City of Anaheim is NOT going to be happy if Disney tells smokers to go congregate on the city sidewalk...
How about the area over by the ART ticket machines (over to the far right side, if you are facing bag check)? (Disclaimer: I haven't had a good look at this area since the Harbor bag check was expanded.) That area is open enough for the most part. The ART machines could easily be moved a bit to make room for a few benches, some ash receptacles, maybe some hedges like the ones around the picnic area. It doesn't have to be large, just clearly defined and separate so the smokers have a reasonably set apart and comfortable place to go. Most people probably aren't going to want to spend a long time there -- just have their smoke, maybe make a phone call or some texts, then get back to the fun in the parks.

How about the area over by the ART ticket machines (over to the far right side, if you are facing bag check)? (Disclaimer: I haven't had a good look at this area since the Harbor bag check was expanded.) That area is open enough for the most part. The ART machines could easily be moved a bit to make room for a few benches, some ash receptacles, maybe some hedges like the ones around the picnic area. It doesn't have to be large, just clearly defined and separate so the smokers have a reasonably set apart and comfortable place to go. Most people probably aren't going to want to spend a long time there -- just have their smoke, maybe make a phone call or some texts, then get back to the fun in the parks.

IDK. I just looked at Google Earth since I'm not super familiar with that area & don't know where the ART machines are, it looks as though there are security booths and bus turnarounds/pathways all the way to the right boundary. There does appear to be an area of trees/bushes that they might be able to trim back, even if they have to move a fence a bit, but depending on the wind, people walking from the buses will still 'get a whiff'. Although I suppose that's bound to happen no matter what.

I think people will do a quick smoke, but you'll be having a lot of people during the day doing so since it'll be just about all the smokers using it (unless they want to go to the Grand's smoking area. I expect it'll be a constantly busy, if not crowded, area.

I'm trying to think of a location outside security Harbor-side yet on Disney property where a smoking area could be that isn't in a busy walkway, but I'm drawing a blank. City of Anaheim is NOT going to be happy if Disney tells smokers to go congregate on the city sidewalk.

And not measuring strollers? Unless the CMs managing the gates at the turnstile have a good eye for measurements, sounds like Disney is just expecting people to abide by the new rule and that no one will try to push the limit.

If they're going to be 'eyeball measuring', they need to hire my nDH (non-Disney Husband), he's able to 'eyeball' something and is usually right to within a 1/2 inch. Amazing.
Yeah it really seems like they were basically doing like a honor system of measure your own stroller, which I didn’t see anyone doing anyway. There are multiple squares on the ground leading up to security but I didn’t see any right at security.
We did hear someone asking security about the enforcement, their reply is that they were giving “a grace period and being lenient for a week or so”.
That’s great for people who are being allowed to bring their strollers in. Sucks for me since I had to listen to a lot of extra fighting over the single stroller from my kids because I decided to be a rule follower.
Also? They are now renting double strollers.

Really? Guess I remember wrong. Too bad, would be nice if it was
What you might be remembering is the "ban" on camping out by the ROA for F! Putting down blankets, towels, trash, etc. to hold spots is no longer allowed at all there for F! viewing. You can sit on a blanket in the Dining Package areas while you watch the show because everyone is seated in those areas anyway.

Contrary to popular belief that was never banned.

Really? Guess I remember wrong. Too bad, would be nice if it was

I also am remembering incorrectly then because when I was reading these boards, listening to podcasts, etc. planning for our last trip in August of 2017 I remember this being talked about. And when we were there we seen CMs clearing people out from spreading blankets and waiting along the parade routes and saying they couldn't start claiming their spots until 30 minutes prior to the parade start time. We were there right at the last few days of the MSEP so maybe it was just temporary to deal with the crowds wanting to watch it one more time?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter