Smoking on Verandahs????

I'm sure we will have a wonderful vacation no matter what happens. After all the medical issues and things that have come up in the last 2 and a half years, we really treasure any family time we get to spend together. I might try to swap for a different room type, but if not we will just work around it.

Sorry about your child's health issue, but as it is obvious that you have internet then you only needed to check DCL web site.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/health-safety/smoking/

As mentioned earlier, we did check the website and then we called DCL for clarification and the cast member told us that a "Private Verandah" was refering to the actual smoking area, and that room verandahs were no smoking zones. Again it's not the massive issue its being made out to be. We have had a great number of medical hardships over the last 2 years and we are greatful just to be able to spend that time together.

I'm sure we will have a wonderful vacation no matter what happens. After all the medical issues and things that have come up in the last 2 and a half years, we really treasure any family time we get to spend together. I might try to swap for a different room type, but if not we will just work around it.

Have a wonderful time!!

I am not a smoker, however my husband does enjoy a cigar nightly on vacation. I believe since most of the year he is over in Afghanistan fighting for everyones right to discuss this, then he should have the right to enjoy his vacation if it is permited by Disney. We book a balcony for this very reason. He does not complain that he is risking his life daily to protect America.

I think it is all right that your husband be allowed to smoke because Disney allows it..Quite honestly it has nothing to do with your husband being in the military..My husband smokes too and has been in the military for 22 years.. He hopefully will not have time to smoke because he is risking his life daily by smoking..But, it is his choice..

I just so happened to see this post and because I can relate I felt I could respond with my opinion. My son has severe nut allergies and if exposed can be life threatening. I can understand asking about the smoking because of your child's situation, but to criticize those isn't fair. Obviously as a parent you want to protect your child and it's your job to do that. But in this case, even if the cruise lines banned smoking on the verandahs, there is no guarantee that someone unaware of your Childs condition wouldn't break the rule so it seems careless to even book a verandah room at all. My son is at risk everyday of his life for the rest of his life and I have to make the adjustments, not everyone else. We will be at dinner with people eating foods that would harm my son and I have to keep those things away from him. I have to check ingredients in the food he eats daily because I can't expect people to rid the world of nuts for my son and others like him. In my dream world nuts wouldn't exist and there would be no threat to my child and i am sure in yours smoking wouldn't exist either. But unfortunately for us that place doesn't exist here on Earth and we have to find ways to deal with their allergies, teach them how to handle their allergy as they grow up and pray that God will protect them.

:thumbsup2

Have a great time Amylia....thats a great attitude. We have done several trips and somethign always pops up but you gotta remember its a vacation with your family and you're making memories!!

cheers
:goofy:

I am not a smoker, however my husband does enjoy a cigar nightly on vacation. I believe since most of the year he is over in Afghanistan fighting for everyones right to discuss this, then he should have the right to enjoy his vacation if it is permited by Disney. We book a balcony for this very reason. He does not complain that he is risking his life daily to protect America.

I don't understand the correlation between deploying to Afghanistan and getting to smoke on DCL. My DH is also military and deploys to the Middle East a LOT. I don't think that entitles him to anything beyond what the military already provides. Aside from military benefits, deploying should never give someone more privileges than anyone else.

Maybe I'm reading more into your post than I should, but I agree with Robin19871's response. Sorry for digressing from the thread,.

I don't understand the correlation between deploying to Afghanistan and getting to smoke on DCL. My DH is also military and deploys to the Middle East a LOT. I don't think that entitles him to anything beyond what the military already provides. Aside from military benefits, deploying should never give someone more privileges than anyone else.

Maybe I'm reading more into your post than I should, but I agree with Robin19871's response. Sorry for digressing from the thread,.

:clap:

I understood her completely. She wasn't saying he should be entitled to anything more than what Disney already allows. Since DCL allows smoking on the verandahs, then he should be able to smoke out there. And the part about him being in the military...she was just making a point that her husband is one of the many who are over there protecting our right to even have the freedom of speech to discuss these matters.

ALTHOUGH.....I *think* (am not 100% certain) that there is a sign on the verandahs that asks passengers to NOT smoke cigars out there.

As mentioned earlier, we did check the website and then we called DCL for clarification and the cast member told us that a "Private Verandah" was refering to the actual smoking area, and that room verandahs were no smoking zones. Again it's not the massive issue its being made out to be. We have had a great number of medical hardships over the last 2 years and we are greatful just to be able to spend that time together.

I think I see where the confusion came from.

If the CM said that the "room verandahs" were non-smoking, then he/she meant the INSIDE of the actual ROOM.
BUT...
the "Private Verandah" being the actual smoking area...means that smoking IS allowed on the verandahs....but not in the rooms with (or obviously without) verandahs.
Now it all makes more sense to me.

Note to cigar smokers.....you might want to check and see if your verandah has a sign that says no cigar smoking out there. I could swear I saw that the last time.
Of course, lately I've been wrong about a lot of things.;););)

Another option is to knock on your neighbor's doors on the cruise, introduce yourself, explain your son's situation, ask if they smoke, and see if you can work out some kind of agreement about when they will or won't smoke on the verandah. Many smokers know that it can be a problem but if they know it's a real medical situation, they might be even more willing to hold off on the verandah.

I don't know....it's another option if you want to keep the verandah. But as a mother of three, I would be worrying about it non-stop until the time of the cruise like you are. So sorry you have to deal with this.

Great suggestion, we no longer smoke but would've been happy to help out. Hypothetically, I'd suggest that you precede you child onto the veranda and if we were out there smoking just let us know that he'd be out shortly and we'd extinguish the cigarettes and let the smoke disperse. Likewise we'd check and make sure that you weren't on you verandah before we lit up. But, as I said, it's all academic now because we've both quit.

Out of 7 cruises, we just recently had our first experience with CHAIN, smoking neighbors on the Magic. Yes, they can smoke on the veranda all day long if they please. Even with a medical issue, if your cruise is close to being full they can not move your room. The air purifiers they will bring to your room to help do not work for the smoke. If your son has that much of a problem, book an oceanview. You will be disappointed that you paid for a veranda and how DCL can handle your complaints if you have a problem with smoke.

In my experience Disney is all talk and no action when it comes to their smoking/no smoking policies. I cannot count the times I have walked through MK or been waiting for a parade and had someone light up right on Main Street with CMs everywhere saying nothing to them.

Once we stayed at POP and the person in the adjoining room to ours smoked in her room so heavily that smoke came under the door into our room. When I called the desk to report it they brought me up an air purifier and I saw her mulitple times smoking outside the room (not allowed on site at the resorts), so I assume they never said a word to her.

I would try and book a stateroom with the enclosed verandah, but like others have said it is luck of the draw whether you get an almost smoke free cruise or you get stuck with a Marlboro Lover's convention. No matter what the rules are, it is not guaranteed everyone will follow them and you might run into someone walking down the hall taking a drag on their ciggie.

Note to cigar smokers.....you might want to check and see if your verandah has a sign that says no cigar smoking out there. I could swear I saw that the last time.
Of course, lately I've been wrong about a lot of things.;););)

Never saw that sign.

Um,, still not sure if you're understanding the information you're being given.
Smoking is not allowed inside ANY room, smoking is allowed on all verandahs. Smoking areas in certain specific areas of the ship is not "private verandahs"- private verandahs refers to the verandah for every verandah category room and it is private to the guests in that room (ie: it's their own private verandah- not a shared verandah with other guests/other rooms/etc.)

Not only is it allowed- there are built in ashtrays on the walls of the verandah. Smoking is most definitely allowed on the verandahs.
Private verandah does not mean smoking zones. Private verandahs are verandahs that are yours, privately, when you book that verandah room. I think you've been misled again... but I'm telling you- smoking is allowed on the verandahs and they even have built in metal ashtrash attached to the walls near the lights. Proof it's allowed.

Another option is to knock on your neighbor's doors on the cruise, introduce yourself, explain your son's situation, ask if they smoke, and see if you can work out some kind of agreement about when they will or won't smoke on the verandah. Many smokers know that it can be a problem but if they know it's a real medical situation, they might be even more willing to hold off on the verandah.

I don't know....it's another option if you want to keep the verandah. But as a mother of three, I would be worrying about it non-stop until the time of the cruise like you are. So sorry you have to deal with this.

As a smoker, who while I smoke very rarely on the cruise but when I DO smoke it's usually on my own private verandah vs the open deck smoking areas, I would not mind this at all. If I was told by a neighbor on the cruise that their child was severely allergic, I wouldn't mind working something out. In my case, which may different than many others and I realize this, I would simply tell them that I usually have one cig in the morning with my morning coffee and generally any other time I smoke is late at night. I would just tell them this so they'd know the times to avoid going outside.
(If I were the type to smoke at other times during the day out there- I'd try to work out a schedule with them. My point being I WOULD try to work something out. I'd be upset if I found out my smoking on the verandah made a child severely ill! I'd prefer to know ahead of time and try to avoid that! It just so happens that my smoking habits on the ship are probably the easiest to work around with a child... just avoid going out there late am and very late at night when presumably said child would be asleep because I'm talking VERY late... like midnight on. LOL I think it would be easy to keep a child off their verandah that late at night. I would assume that at least the vast majority, if not 100%, of smokers would prefer to know ahead of time if they have a neighboring guest that will become very ill if they are smoking at the same time they are on the neighboring verandah. At the very least, even if a schedule persay couldn't be worked out- at least that person would be forewarned and could AT LEAST avoid smoking out there if they go out on their verandah and the neighboring guests were out on their verandah first... as long as they weren't like out there for hours and honestly- none of our kids ever want to be out there for HOURS at a time. Verandah is not their idea of fun really.. maybe for a few minutes tops LOL)

First, I do not like the smell of smoke. It really annoys me and I'd love to see a non-smoking ship but realize that it's not economicall feasible for DCL or most other cruise lines.

That said, I have not had any issues on DCL with smokers on the verandahs. And we spend a lot of time on our verandah! Honestly, a child does not even spend that much time on the verandah. In my experience, the kids around us would come out for a less than a minute or two and then head back inside.

Yes, there is a chance you might encounter a neighbor who smokes. If that concerns you, then I would agree with the PP's who suggested that you not book a verandah. There are plenty of public areas outdoors where smoking is not allowed. Try to book a room that makes it relatively easy to enjoy one of the public open deck where smoking is prohibited.

Now Deck 4 is another story. Smokers aren't suppossed to smoke during certain hours for the courtesy of walkers/runners who are exercising. It seemed like that rule was overlooked by many smokers on our last cruise.

ah, just noticed you already made some points I made above.
I agree- in my experience with our kids ranging ages of 6-16.. none of them are interested in being out there for more than a few minutes at a time. I realize some kids might be the exception to the rule though. Verandahs are usually for relaxing outside, watching the water/what we're passing, for some it's for smoking, others like to read or sleep out there- none of those things are high on the list of priorities of things to do for most children while on the ship LOL

That said, the time I spend out on the verandah (doing all the above), and I do make good use of the verandah when we pay for it! I much prefer sitting there instead of out on open decks.... I've never noticed smoke wafting into our verandah even the few times I've stood up at the railing and then noticed neighbors standing at the railing smoking! I'd have never known if I hadn't stood up there and looked over.

I agree you have two options with a child that will become seriously ill with smoke around them: 1) book the verandah if you're okay with attempting to work out a schedule with neighboring guests if they smoke AND okay with the child just not being out on the verandah if the neighboring guests aren't cooperative in that respect (IMO not a huge deal, as kids don't generally as a rule enjoy spending a ton of time on a verandah anyway or 2) don't book a verandah and not have to worry about it.

but I'm concerned for your son in some other smoking areas as well. They aren't all exactly "open" air areas.... I personally don't like to smoke in them because it's still around a lot of other people and including children and it's sorta halfway "enclosed" so the smoke can linger in those areas. If you walk by those areas with your son... it could be bad. :(

I am allergic to cigarette smoke ... not to the extent of the OP child (I have him added to my prayers) and the smokers on the closed environment of the Magic did get to me.

But, I knew the risks when I booked the cruise. It is a risk, as in everything in life

I wrote I letter to DCL about the wisdom of allowing smokers to even smoke on deck 4 when deck 4 was designated the walker/jogger deck (is that an oxymoron or what? Here is your healthy activity but we are allowing this unhealthy activity to occur during this 1/3 or your lap). I ended up not being able to jog and I despise treadmills with a passion ... I walked stairs for exercise during the wee hours.

We do book connecting Verandah cabins for the primary reason that I am claustrophobic -- we pray that we do not end up next to smokers so we can enjoy our staterooms as intended. If not -- She is big ship.

I am allergic to cigarette smoke ... not to the extent of the OP child (I have him added to my prayers) and the smokers on the closed environment of the Magic did get to me.

But, I knew the risks when I booked the cruise. It is a risk, as in everything in life

I wrote I letter to DCL about the wisdom of allowing smokers to even smoke on deck 4 when deck 4 was designated the walker/jogger deck (is that an oxymoron or what? Here is your healthy activity but we are allowing this unhealthy activity to occur during this 1/3 or your lap). I ended up not being able to jog and I despise treadmills with a passion ... I walked stairs for exercise during the wee hours.

We do book connecting Verandah cabins for the primary reason that I am claustrophobic -- we pray that we do not end up next to smokers so we can enjoy our staterooms as intended. If not -- She is big ship.
Just FYI- I think they've addressed this issue you bring up (which is a good one, btw) From what I've read now the smoking is only allowed on deck 4 from 6pm to 6am or something like that- the rest of the time it's not allowed for the exact reason you just brought up. :)

I was surprised at the sign on the verandah next to the ashtray last week and now wish that I had taken a picture of it. It said basically in order to be considerate of fellow passengers and to allow everyone to enjoy their verandahs please use the designated smoking areas elsewhere on the ship. We were very lucky this trip and never smelled smoke so we enjoyed the verandah quite a bit. I have been in someone else's verandah room and smelled the smoke from the next stateroom when I was inside the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter