Small points contracts question

The member add on tool shows that the minimum for Riviera is now 25 when paying cash. CCV is reportedly down to a 25 point minimum also.
Oooooh! I will check with my guide. I hope that's true! I prefer to add on a little bit over a few years. I wish I had seen that before 8/31 (I have a SEP UY). I may wait till next year before adding on again.

I imagine the reason for the initial 50 pt minimum is so existing members adding on with the new resort will purchase a little more than the absolute minimum.

FFWD to today and there may be existing RIV owners who may legitimately want to add on a small number of more points; at which case they shouldn't be denied the same 25 point minimum as the rest of the DVC properties.

Last edited:
I imagine the reason for the initial 50 pt minimum is so existing members adding on with the new resort will purchase a little more than the absolute minimum.

FFWD to today and there may be existing RIV owners who may legitimately want to add on a small number of more points; at which case they shouldn't be denied the same 25 point minimum as the rest of the DVC properties.

It does appear based on the website they may have lowered it back to 25 for RIV.

We have a 125 point contract with the Poly that we bought direct. But we quickly found out it wasn't enough points for me to take 3 short trips a year. So we added on a small 50 point resale contract there with the same use year.
A few months later I came across a 35 point contract that was cheap for the same use year at the Poly and talked my husband into letting me get that one. And it even passed ROFR which surprised me.

Between those 3 I could do 2 short trips and one a bit longer. I keep thinking I may want to add another small contract but really I shouldn't right now so I'm making myself not look at the listings.

All great responses!! Our reasoning is the same as some others- we wanted direct membership benefits back when you only needed 25 points to accomplish that. We bought BLT resale first, and immediately after closing we added on with 32 direct points at Poly (just so we could have a few nights there every year too). There have been years that we’ve used it as intended, but the past 2 years we’ve used them as SAP points (gasp!) bc of all the construction going on there. We have a trip booked for the Poly next May, and I am super excited about it!!

Point being- no matter how we use those points, I’m happy that we have them. 😉

Also, some buy a small point contract just so they can transfer points from other members… they’re basically renting, but still in control of their reservations 👍

It does appear based on the website they may have lowered it back to 25 for RIV.
Yes! I saw that today too, and was pretty excited about it!! I had considered adding on a little, but didn’t really want to commit to the whole 50-point-direct idea, and small resales are asking way too much for me. I’m so happy to see it finally came down 😁

It would be pretty awesome if they offer the same incentive scale as the VGF2 at some point… so I can add on at both!!!! 🤩 (a girl can dream ☺)

Buying an entire contract just to add more points for a trip seems like a wonky decision to me. And with paying dues and everything for the lifetime of the contract, it can’t really be worth it to buy into DVC for a trip every few years. I don’t know, that’s just my line of thinking :confused:
this is exactly why I bought a small contract, though. One trip every three 3 years. I already own a larger contract, but I wanted to stay at a specific DVC location. I would love a larger contract, but once every 3 years is better than never.

We just bought a 50 point add on today actually! The combination of switching our travel plans from August to September, along with the 50 point add on now allows us to switch from studios to 1 bedroom units

Can anyone enlighten me as to why people buy small points contracts?

Bought a 50 point and 30 point contract originally. The goal was to get to Disney every 1-2 years in a studio or 1BR.

We planned on borrowing and such.

Now we have 300 RIV and 150 BWV resale points. Our goal is 2BR with the family and studio/1BR as a adult only trip.

I am just now beginning research into DVC as it's something I'd like to consider in the future, so forgive me for my lack of knowledge. Can anyone enlighten me as to why people buy small points contracts? I understand that it is an easier pill to swallow than paying five figures for more points, but what can you truly do with 25, 50, or 75 points? Looking at point charts, a 25 point contract would literally only get you two nights in a studio a year, and studios are hard to get. Do most people own small points contracts in addition to larger contracts? Do they bank and borrow a lot and only go every few years? Seems like it wouldn't be worth it. I am a single person with a very moderate income, so I wouldn't be able to afford the amount of points many people purchase, but to me the small points contracts seem silly.

I had my contract split into 50 points each to leave to my kids. If ever in the future you needed to sale, smaller contracts are worth more on the resale market. Some people get smaller contracts at multiple resorts for split stays and 11th month priority booking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!