Small Fire on the Wonder?

Keurigirl

let's all sing like the birdies sing
We just returned this morning from a week in Alaska on the Wonder. Early in the cruise (2nd or 3rd night onboard) around 10:30pm or so (what can I say, I was on vacation and wasn't paying close attention to times), we felt a sudden, strong vibration, and shortly after, our cabin started smelling very strongly of diesel fuel and smoke.

Just as I got out of bed and threw on some clothes to go let someone know, there were two frantic calls over the ship's broadcast system for "Red Parties, Red Parties", complete with alarm sounds in the background of the message, spaced about 5 minutes apart.

I went out into the hallway just after these announcements and there were many fellow passengers already in the hallway trying to figure out what was going on. We were near the aft elevators on deck two, and the hallway was just as smelly as our room, but in the hall you could see things were a bit murky from the smoke as well. Not bad, but it was hazy and you could definitely tell something was going on. It was scary for a while there, as I've read many times that fire on a ship is the worst thing that can happen.

Within 15 minutes or so the captain came on and made an announcement (just as the folks in the hallway were starting to panic a bit) and said that we had lost a generator. It had overheated and caused a lot of smoke, but that we were safe. He continued to state they were looking into why it happened, and talked about the generators on the ship, etc. He ended by saying that we were still full power ahead and that we would still be on time to everything and not to worry.

However, for the next few days we heard from our server and a couple of the other staff on board that there actually had been a fire. That there was talk about needing to dock the Wonder for a few days prior to the re-positioning cruise down to CA to fix the generator. I'm curious to know if anyone else has heard anything about this?

We just returned this morning from a week in Alaska on the Wonder. Early in the cruise (2nd or 3rd night onboard) around 10:30pm or so (what can I say, I was on vacation and wasn't paying close attention to times), we felt a sudden, strong vibration, and shortly after, our cabin started smelling very strongly of diesel fuel and smoke.

Just as I got out of bed and threw on some clothes to go let someone know, there were two frantic calls over the ship's broadcast system for "Red Parties, Red Parties", complete with alarm sounds in the background of the message, spaced about 5 minutes apart.

I went out into the hallway just after these announcements and there were many fellow passengers already in the hallway trying to figure out what was going on. We were near the aft elevators on deck two, and the hallway was just as smelly as our room, but in the hall you could see things were a bit murky from the smoke as well. Not bad, but it was hazy and you could definitely tell something was going on. It was scary for a while there, as I've read many times that fire on a ship is the worst thing that can happen.

Within 15 minutes or so the captain came on and made an announcement (just as the folks in the hallway were starting to panic a bit) and said that we had lost a generator. It had overheated and caused a lot of smoke, but that we were safe. He continued to state they were looking into why it happened, and talked about the generators on the ship, etc. He ended by saying that we were still full power ahead and that we would still be on time to everything and not to worry.

However, for the next few days we heard from our server and a couple of the other staff on board that there actually had been a fire. That there was talk about needing to dock the Wonder for a few days prior to the re-positioning cruise down to CA to fix the generator. I'm curious to know if anyone else has heard anything about this?

Wow!!!! Scary :eek:

I wonder if they put too much strain on the engines when they had to do their full-speed trip to Juneau last week?

ETA: DH says they have 5 generators onboard, so it shouldn't be a big problem with one out. But it will need to be fixed/replaced.

We are on that repositioning cruise next week. I sure hope we are not delayed or effected.

I just checked cruisejunkie.com, but nothing is showing.

Sounds like there was a small fire, but nothing that got out of control. Just to put it in perspective, my DH works in manufacturing. The machines he is in charge of planning catch fire quite often. He looks at it as par for the course. Being a former sailor, boats break and you must fix them. Sounds like the staff was trained well and that it was under control quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Wow that must have been scary.

From our trip years ago on the Wonder, we were told that they train and train for situations just like this.

Wow, not good news! We leave in 12 days for EBPC on the Wonder. Hope everything is OK.. Someone on our cruise meet left Saturday for a B2b2b - the Alaska, then repo, then EBPC, so if they cancel the repo it would really kill their mojo!!!

Wow, not good news! We leave in 12 days for EBPC on the Wonder. Hope everything is OK.. Someone on our cruise meet left Saturday for a B2b2b - the Alaska, then repo, then EBPC, so if they cancel the repo it would really kill their mojo!!!

If it's only a day or two for repairs, they won't cancel, but will "adjust" the dates. They probably will be put up in a hotel for the time.

I'm on the repo! I hope our dates don't get changed. I have everything booked after the cruise and it would mess up our DL portion.

I would be pretty heart broken if they even postponed a couple days since we have Disneyland booked right after our cruise and we would likely have to cancel. Good thing I have trip insurance, although that only makes me feel slightly better. This is our first (and maybe only) trip to DL. Sure hope things go on as scheduled, but hope we find out soon either way.

It sounds like they have a week to repair any damage before the repositioning cruise. I'm hopeful that it will not effect us. I'm really looking forward to our cruise :)

we are on the cruise scheduled for next Monday to LA as well, our fourth on the Wonder. I really hope all is well.

How do we get an update about something like this?

we are on the cruise scheduled for next Monday to LA as well, our fourth on the Wonder. I really hope all is well.

How do we get an update about something like this?

IF there are any changes to your itinerary, DCL will contact you (or your TA) with any changes. And, again IF there are any changes, there should be some sort of notice (travel alert) when you go to your reservation online.

IF there are any changes to your itinerary, DCL will contact you (or your TA) with any changes. And, again IF there are any changes, there should be some sort of notice (travel alert) when you go to your reservation online.

Thanks! That's why I'm thinking that we would know by now, since this happened almost a week ago!

We're on the repo and I spoke with shoreline concierge changing our Palo time and it wasn't mentioned at all. I think we're good to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!