Small Add on Points Through Disney

kkbutterfly

Mouseketeer
Hello All!

I was wondering if anyone has purchased small add ons through Disney? We started with the bare minimum of 100 points at BLT and we would like to add more points. While we'd rather be at BWV, we don't want to buy a resale contract of 150 - 200 points. Has anyone just added 25 - 50 points on through Disney? Was your experience good? Did you have second thoughts about not going resale? Do you keep the same use year?

Thanks all!

Despite knowledge of the resale market, it is common for owners who are adding on a small number of points to go through Disney because finding a small add-on at their own resort with same use year in the resale market can be difficult even if you wait list with a broker. In fact, members here have reported buying from Disney after striking out in the resale market. Nevertheless, you might want to look into the resale market first, and even possibly wait list for a little while, to see if you can get lucky. The process is easy. You just call and do it and then you get the contracts to sign and return them; points become usable right after you buy them not the later closing date. When buying a small add-on Disney will sell you only points that have the same use year as the one you already have. Minimum purchase is 25 points, you can buy any number above that, but you need to buy at least 50 if you want to finance.

Hello All!

I was wondering if anyone has purchased small add ons through Disney? We started with the bare minimum of 100 points at BLT and we would like to add more points. While we'd rather be at BWV, we don't want to buy a resale contract of 150 - 200 points. Has anyone just added 25 - 50 points on through Disney? Was your experience good? Did you have second thoughts about not going resale? Do you keep the same use year?

Thanks all!

We have added points direct and it's extremely easy. They will title it exactly the same as your master contract and it will be the same UY. Even if it's a different resort.

Sometimes buying small contracts direct makes sense.

For really small add ons, like the 25 or 50 point ones mentioned above, another factor to consider is the difference in closing costs. Now, I'm looking at VCG, so the closing costs there are more expensive than in Fl, but I still think you have to factor in several hundred dollars resale vs a lot lower amount from Disney direct.

Do you mean that closing costs through Disney are cheaper than resale? If so, why?

Up until a couple of years ago Disney didn't charge closing costs. Now they do but they are minimal. Resale can cost hundreds. Personally, our 160 point resale cost us $525 in closing costs.

I purchased 3 25 point contracts through disney direct this month and the cosing costs were only about 30 bucks for each.

My small 60 point purchase was over 10 years ago and I paid $325 in closing costs. As far as why closing costs are more expensive resale. Part of it is probably Disney subsidising closing, but also partly not having some of the expenses associated with buying resale. For example, when I bought resale, at least part of the closing costs went towards a title search and title insurance to make sure you are buying with a clean title. Buying from Disney you wouldn't have these expenses.

We added on at VGC twice last year direct, after having been ROFR'd twice on resales. On the direct purchases, I think the closing costs were about $50 each time. For the resales (albeit slightly larger contracts) closing was around $800. But again, it costs more in Ca than in Fl.

And if you spread the $500 or more over a 100 point contract, for example, that adds $5 per point to whatever purchase price you agree on with the seller. On a larger contract, with more points over which to spread those costs, the increase isn't as noticeable, but on the smaller ones it can make a difference.

I was wondering if anyone has purchased small add ons through Disney? We started with the bare minimum of 100 points at BLT and we would like to add more points. While we'd rather be at BWV, we don't want to buy a resale contract of 150 - 200 points. Has anyone just added 25 - 50 points on through Disney?
In case you do not already know, when booking 11 months out only home resort points can be used to make a reservation (only BLT points can be used to book BLT, only BWV points can be used to book BWV). If you purchase only 25 points at BWV they won't go very far if you want to book BWV in the home resort booking window.

What some of us do is buy half of the points we need for a stay, bank all of our points every other year and book at that resort once every two years. With a 25-point contract, by both banking and borrowing you would have 75 points to use every three years which won't quite get you a week in a Standard View studio in the cheapest season -- you would need 76 points for that.

Another approach is to book what you can with your BWV points in the home resort booking window and then try to add additional nights to your reservation using BLT points 7 months out, subject to availability.

we've bought small add-on contracts both ways,and as other people have said if you can find what you are looking for at the same UY you need then resale is just as good as direct.

I recently purchased 75 points at BCV direct from Disney. I had not been able to find the right contract resale and after a year of looking I bought direct because I needed the point for two trips next year. I believe the closing cost was $100 or so. Well worth buying direct as I had my points by the next day and was able to make my reservations 11 months out as I had planned.:cool1:

Yep..all my contracts are small. I have 2 65 point contracts and 2 50 point contracts and am on the waiting list for 65 more, all at VGC. (I bought a small OKW resale years ago to get into the system and enable me to buy my initial contract smaller than the then 160 point minimum. I then sold my OKW points, so all my current points are direct add ons) Super easy except all that signing by the plam tree business.

Hey everyone! \

Thanks for your great responses! I have a small add on question if anyone is still reading this -

I see a lot of resale contracts for BLT for 50 points with a use year of September. Currently I have a use year of August (and have been looking for small August contracts but see none). How annonying is it to have an Aug and Sept use year?

Thanks for your great responses! I have a small add on question if anyone is still reading this -

I see a lot of resale contracts for BLT for 50 points with a use year of September. Currently I have a use year of August (and have been looking for small August contracts but see none). How annonying is it to have an Aug and Sept use year?

it means you wouldn't have an "add-on", you'd have 2 separate contracts.

i believe you'd be able to view both together on the website but if you would not be able to combine pts from both contracts to book one reservation without transferring the pts first. you would have to book 3 nights with one contract and 4 nights with the other and then ask MS to link the reservations if possible.

it's do-able if you stay organized, but it's much easier to manage if your contracts have the same UY.

we bought direct from DVC a HHI oct uy already having a VWL sept uy. There were no Sept UY for HHI points and there was a waiting list since the prior year. We wanted to book at 11 mths. We were discouraged from doing so--but our guide said he does have some clients who do so.
If you are in the 7 mth period, you can't combine points to make a reservation---so if you are booking 5 days in a studio at 20 points per night and you need to use both sets of points, the 1st and 2nd night would be 40 points from BWV and the other nights would be from BLT--as a separate reservation---of course, they can link them. Also, you can get orphan points that you don't use and can't combine with the other points.
However, you can have 1 transfer each year--you can transfer points from one UY to the other and then combine them all at 7 mths--but that uses up your 1 transfer.
In the end, it was worth it to us--but most people prefer the same UY.

We bought a 200 point contract at OKW through resale with a June UY in 2006. We added on at HH last year...bought 75 points with an Aug UY through resale again. We intend to add on to our HH contract another 25 points or more. I will buy direct through Disney and almost did so last night. I could have put it on my Disney CC and the points would have been showing on my membership today for me to use. They also give all 2012 points, but I would only pay prorated dues for 2012 which wouldn't be much (just a couple weeks worth). She said that closing costs were like $30. Now, that I'm typing this up...I wish I had done it.

Owning 25 points at Beach Club or Boardwalk would just be a tease! HAHA

You would have 75 points every 3rd year - that isn't enough to book a whole week :(

We purchased 85 points at Saratoga for a Bank-Use-Borrow pattern for the Treehouse villas and THEN in two years they changed the point chart allocation and our purchase flew out the window - we went from being able to book a treehouse in BOTH of our most frequent travel seasons - to NOT being able to book one for a week at all :lmao: So much for having a strategy!

Now we have 85 points at Saratoga - take a look at the point charts for Saratoga and be in AWE of all of our possibilities! :joker:

Hey it could be worse! :rotfl:

We have 2 UY. I wish we didn't, but it's not really that bothersome. We ended up using 1 of the memberships almost exclusively for cruising, and the other for DVC stays. The 2 separate memberships started with a small AKV add on, I guess I should have held out for the same UY.

We just added 25 SSR points direct through Disney. We have an August use year. Points were in my account that evening after I called in the morning. We used the Disney visa to get the reward dollars and free interest for six months even though I have the cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter