slo’s WEDNESDAY 1/31 poll - Your January 2024

Your January 2024 - How was it and how do you think the rest of the year will be? (m.c.)

• I had a great month 😃👍🏻

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I had a good month👍🏻

Votes: 50 51.0%
  • I had a mediocre month😐

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • I had a bad month🙁👎🏻

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • I think the rest of the year will be great

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • I think the rest of the year will be good

Votes: 36 36.7%
  • I think the rest of the year will be so-so

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • I think the rest of the year will be NOT good

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • No clue - my year throws me to many curve balls

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Today is the last day of the month - hard to believe - where did January go? It feels like the holidays were so long ago already. Many times, the way our January goes, gives us a feel for how the rest of the year may go. So, I ask you on this last day of January….

How was your January 2024?
Based on your January, how do you feel the rest of your 2024 will be?
(multiple choice)

For Me…..My/our January was a good month, not the best month, but a good month. My DH started a new job that he was blessed with after losing his job before Thanksgiving. An insurance issue with the new job has left us with no insurance this month which is scary & stressful, but we get the insurance tomorrow - thank goodness. We got some sad medical news about a family member which will be something that may lead to a bad year. DH was sick for a week, but is now on the mend. So, with all that I‘m going to guess that our 2024 will be a so-so year.

I should have this post resurface at the end of the year, so everyone can see how they answered, to see if they guessed correctly.
IMG_1541.png

It was a typical January for us. It was really nice to have some snow. It was the perfect amount, not too much but enough to cover the ground. The really cold weather was unpleasant, but normal for the Midwest.

The rest of the year should be good. I tend to be an optimist. :)

We have some fun trips coming up, including a first time ever trip to California for our niece's wedding. We are planning to check out Disneyland during that trip. I've never been to California and have no idea how to plan. But it will be fun. We are returning to Maine for a week in June and have two WDW trips coming up. We don't have any plans after June until December but I know that will change. :)

It was an okay month.
We were at Disney World for 2 weeks!! That was the best part.
DH was in the hospital right before that with chest pains.....blood clots in lungs. He is doing well.
I got food poisoning while on vacation, not fun. But over with now.
DD had some veins worked on. Not fun. She is still recovering from that.
DIL started her MS infusions yesterday.

I am hoping the rest of the year is great......we had such a bad year last year.

This month has had its ups and downs couple things were not very good I lost my poor little kitty cat had an issue with my pipes winter related that could’ve been so much worse so I’m happy it was not but in addressing the issue I broke my ribs they have been a bit troublesome and a pain in the butt that could’ve been worse though so there you go
I’m hoping that this year goes so much better than the last two and I’m thinking it probably will!
General searching for the possibility of getting a new kitty I have met some very nice people always a nice plus !! I also found a wonderful new Vet when my kitty cat got sick so that was also a nice plus !
Had some issues with my new health insurance they have a new computer system and it’s not working and they had an issue with a medication I take and denied coverage so I found a work around them - I paid for it outside of insurance and the lady at the drugstore was so kind and found me a discount for it and cut the price more than in half
So like I said it said it up and down but things are going fairly well and I’m hoping the rest of the year just keep going the same!!
I’m especially happy that winter is behaving like spring and I hope it stays that way!!! ☀️😊

Mine's been mediocre, I think. It's been kind of a stressful month, but nothing long-term horrible has happened.

-- My brother-in-law brought an univited guest to Christmas dinner (COVID), and we had our own little mini super-spreader event. (Out of the 10 of us there -- all vaxxed and boosted -- only two of us escaped unscathed. I don't think anybody was SUPER sick, but my husband is very high maintenace when he's sick.) So January started out with practically everyone in quarantine (and me doing grocery drop-offs, checking in on everyone because I was practically the only one who could.) But, everyone is on the mend now... so that's good.
-- My daughter made a last minute decision to transfer colleges. It was VERY last minute which made it very stressful. She's never really been happy at her original university, and she's applied to transfer somewhere every semester. But then she says "I'll give it one more semester. Maybe it will be different." So, I knew she applied some places but she didn't say a word about actually transferring till after the new year. We were planning to move her back to campus on Saturday and she decided Friday that she wanted to transfer. So, that was a whirlwind to get her unenrolled/moved out of the first university (2 hours away) and get her all set up (orientation/scheduling, etc.) The new university is local, so at least we didn't have to arrange housing. She's living at home, at least for this semester. There are some things that she doesn't love about the new univesity (the commute, for one... and I think she also just doesn't love school), but overall, I think she SEEMS happier... so hopefully it'll be a good move for her.
-- Also, our winters are generally grey and dreary, but this one seems to be ESPECIALLY grey and dreary. I seriously can't remember the last time I saw the sun. It's beginning to wear on me!

So... I kind of hope that January doesn't set the tone for the whole year, but things could definitely be worse, too... so here's to february.

I'm sorry to hear that your family member got bad news... but yay for your new insurance kicking in.

Last edited:
I had a so-so month. Nothing exciting happened and nothing bad happened. Both hubby and I woke up and got out of bed each morning and our yorkie's one good eye seems to be still functioning well, so that's a positive. I didn't hear anything bad from my son and his family. I'm retired and every day is pretty much like the one before it. Hubby works from home, which is good and bad. I figure the rest of the year will pretty go the same as January has.

Got to see my Granddaughters. Otherwise my third January of retirement, but different that the previous two because my wife went back to work 3 days a week. So limited in what we could do. But her special project should be complete in a few months and she will be back to being retired.

Meh. My back went out twice this month. Still trying to recover the second time. Daughter has a college tour this Friday and not sure how that will work for me. Stressing out about the college process in general. Waiting on word from FAFSA. I try to think more positive, thing could be worse. I know we're blessed.

Celebrated a birthday a couple of days ago. Went to WDW theme parks earlier this month after a 5 year hiatus. Bought a Pixie Dust AP and used it even with the "new to me" reservation system. Rode Rise of the Resistance even though it was in C-mode. Talked middle-aged self into riding Tron on the back car; I had a blast!

Changed my riding mower blades after almost 10 years due to fear and low-confidence I could do it (thanks YouTube!). Cleaned out my garage yesterday and now have to take the unused old paint cans to the recycle center after I take pictures of the formulas on the top of each can.

A good month for sure.

This month was good. A few bumps kept it from being great, but I'll take a good day/month anytime over a bad one. 2022 & '23 were rollercoaster years. High highs and low lows. So, in keeping with the theme of the post, I hope this means my family and I have a good year! Although, I voted No Clue. :upsidedow

Mine was mediocre. I had radiation treatments for my stage 4 cancer. Met a new Dr. who I have nicknamed Dr. doom and gloom. Other dr. I see was more optimistic. Now I am having skin issues from the radiation.
Good - celebrated middle ds bday with a fun take out dinner.
Had my new home physical therapist say his last visit is tomorrow.
The rest of the year is no clue. I’m leaving that up to God at this point.

Good or bad, I'm always SUPER-GLAD to see January go. It's the longest, coldest, darkest month here and always feels like it lasts forever. It's finally time now to get on with 2024.

The month was fine; nothing too out of the ordinary, other than DH finding himself unemployed by mutual agreement. Didn't really see that coming but trying not to push the panic-button prematurely. Pretty hectic at my work as we always have to jump right into the implementation of the Q1 plans and it's annual review time. I have 12 direct reports now so that task alone dominates January. Still grinding away on our reno, which by now seems like some sort of weird life-long commitment. Sheesh. :sad2:

As for predictions - nope. I chose the "curveball" option. Looking back over the past many, many years, there's not been one without it's own share of both foreseen and unexpected joys and sadness. Projecting at this point is useless. If you'd told me last year at this time where I'd be right now, and what paths I'd travel to get here, I would have laughed. And have you ever heard the old saying "Man plans; God laughs"? :goodvibes

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter