• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s SATURDAY 8/13 poll - Elephant Ears (fried dough) - Updated in original post

Elephant Ears (fried dough) - What’s your opinion on this)

• I love it ❤️

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • I like it 👍🏻

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I sorta like it 😐

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • It’s just ok 🫤

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • It’s edible 😶

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I don’t like it 👎🏻

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I don’t know - I’ve never had it

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I don’t eat food like this

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I can’t eat food like this

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
They are Beaver Tails here. I haven’t had one in years. I use to love the lemon and brown sugar ones. 😊
Yes they are love the story with cream cheese one, husband likes just the regular sugar one.

Had one a few weeks ago when away.

Heavenly scented and mouth-watering FRIED DOUGH is the specific name for a variety of fried bread made of yeast dough, also known as: fry dough, fry bread, doughboys, elephant ears (smaller versions called mouse ears)

They are sweeter fry bread
They were called Beaver Tails at Epcot in the Canada pavilion years ago
Omg I’m so stupid I thought those were Canadian funnel cakes - ugh all those trips and I could have enjoyed this delicious sounding snack ??? I WAS just there in MAY !! Dang it !! If I didn’t need to clean today I’d drive to Chicago to grab one !!! It’s only 4 hrs !! How much is gas right now ?? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Never had one. I do like funnel cakes, so I probably would like them.

I get one a year, so I guess that means I sort of like them. Specifically, I always share one with DH and whatever kids happen to be around on rodeo night at the county fair. And then I don't even think about them again for another year. But that one is always quite delightful.

Is there a difference between elephant ears and funnel cakes? I
Yes. Elephant ears (or whatever name in you locale), are deep fried dough, like bread or pizza dough. Funnel cakes (or again, whatever the name in your locale) are deep fried batter, like pancake batter, drizzled into hot oil and fried. Either can have toppings like whipped cream, fruit jam, sugar (powdered or granular)

I love elephant ears but haven't had one in a few years but now I want one!! Yum! :)

The only place I've had them is when we used to visit my in-laws in Door County, WI every summer with the kids. MIL loved the local bakery in Sturgeon Bay (since shut down) that used to make them. The grocery store version didn't measure up. They weren't nearly as greasy as funnel cake.

I really like them, but can't recall last time I had one, a long time ago. As for a large elephant ear, probably a beaver tail in Canada at Epcot, many, many years ago.

Also, many years ago, a funnel cake in Epcot by America. More recently, maybe 2017, a funnel cake (or was it a waffle?) at Sleepy Hollow in MK.

My late MIL used to make what maybe were similar to the mouse ears mentioned earlier, smaller elephants. She made homemade pizza dough, tore it in pieces and deep friend them, put powdered sugar on some, granulated on some. They were called pizza fritta (pronounced the Italian way, pizza frete, long E, no ending A). She knew I was a sucker for them and made them often for me. :love:

Pizza fritta (or pizza frete)

Funnel Cakes are much more common at fairs/festivals around here than elephant ears are, but they are still delicious.

I haven't had one in ages, but I loved getting fried dough at the St. Patrick's Day parade as a kid. We didn't call them elephant ears, it's just fried dough.

I like funnel cake better. I didn't encounter it until I was in college, love at first bite.

I don’t care for them, but seeing them always reminds me of my late Mother. Elephant ears were one of her favorite things to get at the county fair, along with a cup of French fries doused in malt vinegar.

You have a beautiful family @slo !

I never had them. I have had funnel cakes and did have the fresh made beaver tails at Epcot some years back.

What we called elephant ears were a bakery item, a flaky dough type pastry. They used to be huge, or maybe just seemed so because I was little!

Never heard of them, but do like funnel cakes well enough, and love beignets. These sound good

I like funnel cakes better, but they are good, too. It has been forever since I had one!

Have fun at the fair!!
Same here. My last funnel cake was at WDW in 2015. I almost had one yesterday at a festival, but they didn't offer any with powdered sugar and lemon. All they offered were fancy toppings that just seemed to be too much to me. I don't need blackberries or strawberries or blueberries or chocolate--that's overkill and would hide the taste of the funnel cake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter