slo’s FRIDAY 11/17 poll - Skylights

Skylights - Do you have any and how many? (m.c.)

• We have a skylight(s) in our home

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • We do not have a skylight in our home

Votes: 78 77.2%
  • We have one

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • We have two

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • We have three

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • We have four or more

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Our old home had a skylight - I miss it

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Our old home had a skylight - I do not miss it

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • What’s a skylight?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
Every home I have been in with skylights, the skylights have been problematic.

They leak.

The light that comes in is great at some point throughout the day but at other times of the day it is just annoying.

No skylights. We have an attic over most of the house.

My sister’s home has cathedral ceilings with several skylights, and they have had leakage problems, especially in winter with snow and ice on the roof.

We don’t have skylights. We considered adding one during a bathroom remodel a couple of years ago, but instead we added recessed lights above the shower which I really like.

No skylights here. But Marie's late uncle had 2 solar tubes, one in the kitchen, one in a bathroom. They were amazing with the light brought in. Both rooms had attic above, so no skylights. But those solar tubes really were amazing. And never an issue with anything.

1700231957879.png

• Love
Reactions: slo
Not in our current home. Had one in a former house and issues with it all of the time. I don’t care to ever have another one.

My childhood row house had a bathroom skylight because it was otherwise windowless. Many homes today have no natural light in some of their baths.
My childhood row house in South Philly (built in 1920) had a skylight in what was my sister's room when she was a baby. It had a chain that you could pull to open it to let in fresh air. I never liked looking up at it at night. That room was in the middle of the second floor and had no windows for natural light or ventilation.

There's no skylight where I live now.

We do not. My dad has a few solar tubes in his house in Florida. Whenever we are there, I always think someone left the bathroom light on because it’s so bright in there during the day.

Our house has three in the living room. It’s a ranch and a bit dark. It does lighten things up a bit but could be brutally hot in the summer. One leaked badly. We replaced all three when we did our roof about 10 years ago. I like the new ones. They have filtering shades that are nice in the summer and two of them open which is great in the spring fall.

I voted other, because our house has none but our travel trailer has one in the bathroom above the shower.

No skylights here. But Marie's late uncle had 2 solar tubes, one in the kitchen, one in a bathroom. They were amazing with the light brought in. Both rooms had attic above, so no skylights. But those solar tubes really were amazing. And never an issue with anything.
We do not. My dad has a few solar tubes in his house in Florida. Whenever we are there, I always think someone left the bathroom light on because it’s so bright in there during the day.
I had to look these up, but now I'm fascinated and want them.

We have one in our upstairs bathroom. I like that it gives the room light without having to turn on the lights. It did leak really badly a few years ago and we had to have it replaced, which was kind of annoying.

Does the one in my car count?
I don't have one in my house or my car for the same reason. Leaks.

My son and daughter in law have a VW Jetta Sportwagon with a panoramic sunroof that leaked, and then would not close. Of course this happened 6 months after the warranty expired. Dealer wanted $4,500 to fix it. They found a local shop that fixed it for $2,500.
They replaced their other car with a VW ID4.....and IT has a panoramic sunroof. I guess they didn't learn anything about what could happen in the future.

We have two and haven't had any issues with leaks so far (ten years in this house). It did make it a little more expensive when we had the roof replaced, but I like the extra light in the winter. I do think it makes the house hotter in the summer though, so it probably increases our a/c bill.

View attachment 811292
I love your picture - thank you for the thank you ❤️ :goodvibes

I’m surprised to read about leaking issues. Knock on wood, we have never had a leak in 19 years. Hopefully it stays that way 🤞🏻

We have one in the master bathroom over the tub. Knock on wood we have not had any leaking issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter