slo’s FRIDAY 11/17 poll - Skylights

Skylights - Do you have any and how many? (m.c.)

• We have a skylight(s) in our home

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • We do not have a skylight in our home

Votes: 78 77.2%
  • We have one

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • We have two

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • We have three

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • We have four or more

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Our old home had a skylight - I miss it

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Our old home had a skylight - I do not miss it

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • What’s a skylight?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
We have one, and we like it. We have a quad home, a quarter of a building, so it gives us light and a chance for breezes.

Our last home had two, in two upstairs bathrooms.

In both houses, the skylights have been a blessing for my plants!

We don’t, but we have cathedral ceilings in our family room with 2 dormer style windows that sort of act like skylights. (The house looks like a cape cod from the front with upper level windows in dormers.)

Attachments

• IMG_4281.jpeg
    IMG_4281.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1
I don't have one in my house or my car for the same reason. Leaks.

My son and daughter in law have a VW Jetta Sportwagon with a panoramic sunroof that leaked, and then would not close. Of course this happened 6 months after the warranty expired. Dealer wanted $4,500 to fix it. They found a local shop that fixed it for $2,500.
They replaced their other car with a VW ID4.....and IT has a panoramic sunroof. I guess they didn't learn anything about what could happen in the future.
Oh no that’s terrible ! We have Honda pilot and never had an issue. We rented the VW when we were in Scotland and it was nice to have all that open space. We loved it but won’t be buying one knowing they leak!

I don't have one in my house or my car for the same reason. Leaks.

My son and daughter in law have a VW Jetta Sportwagon with a panoramic sunroof that leaked, and then would not close. Of course this happened 6 months after the warranty expired. Dealer wanted $4,500 to fix it. They found a local shop that fixed it for $2,500.
They replaced their other car with a VW ID4.....and IT has a panoramic sunroof. I guess they didn't learn anything about what could happen in the future.
That's too bad but also weird. I had a Jetta with a sunroof that never leaked. One of the best cars I ever owned.

Never had a sunroof leak on any car I have owned. I believe there are some maintenance things you need to do to keep the tracks free of debris/etc. I would assume the tolerances on the parts of a car are significantly tighter than home construction so not sure the two are comparable.

We do not. My dad has a few solar tubes in his house in Florida. Whenever we are there, I always think someone left the bathroom light on because it’s so bright in there during the day.
My daughter has a solar tube in her kitchen. She has rags stuff in it to block the light. The light wasn't the issue, the heat it allowed in was. She likes her house cool.

My childhood row house in South Philly (built in 1920) had a skylight in what was my sister's room when she was a baby. It had a chain that you could pull to open it to let in fresh air. I never liked looking up at it at night. That room was in the middle of the second floor and had no windows for natural light or ventilation.

There's no skylight where I live now.
Yes, we had the hanging chain in our bathroom to open the skylight for ventilation.

I never heard of a row house bedroom without a window before. In my experience, a middle bedroom had a window that looked out into a narrow alcove. The rear of the house was slightly narrower than the rest of it to allow this. The dining room on the first floor often had the same window view.

Yes, we had the hanging chain in our bathroom to open the skylight for ventilation.

I never heard of a row house bedroom without a window before. In my experience, a middle bedroom had a window that looked out into a narrow alcove. The rear of the house was slightly narrower than the rest of it to allow this. The dining room on the first floor often had the same window view.

The middle bedroom had one wall that was against our neighbor's wall, one wall that was against our bathroom, and one wall that was against my parents' bedroom. The fourth wall opened onto an interior hallway.

We had them at our old house not now at the condo. They were nice, but it wasn’t a deal breaker for me.

The house I grew up in (from 2nd grade, dad still lives there) had one in the bathroom, it was also a fire escape which thankfully never had to be used as one.

I never lived in a house with any. Some relatives and friends have had them though. Most rooms of houses I owned had a good number of windows so didn’t feel dark to me.

My rental house in AZ has a skylight. My current house in PA is much too old for such things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter