Slanderous Review of My Book

kellymonaghan

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
On amazon.com a fellow from Brazil has posted a rabidly biased and inaccurate review of my book, "Universal Studios Escape." It looks to me like he's shilling for books by Kim Wright Wiley.

He claims I am anti-Disney, which is flat out untrue and not backed up by any statements in the book. he also says I love everything about Universal. Also, not true. Those who've read my book now I take USF/IOA to task when I feel it's appropriate (like the ghastly Pandemonium Circus show).

I was reall amused that he claims I think "the rest of Orlando is nothing" when I've just published a 400 page book about the rest of Orlando!

At any rate, I would appreciate it if the folks on this board, especially those who've read my book, would take a look at his "review." If you agree, well great. But if you think this is a biased hatchet job, then I'd appreciate it if you'd post your own - honest - review of the book.

I'll try to paste in the exact URL:

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1887140123/qid=979133602/sr=1-7/ref=sc_b_7/107-1627115-0770914"> CLICK HERE </a>

If that doesn't work, you can just go to amazon.com and search on "Monaghan, Kelly" or "Universal Studios Escape" and you'll find the right page.

Thanks!a

Kelly Monaghan
Author of "Universal Studios Escape: The Ultimate Guide to the Ultimate Theme Park Adventure"µˇ0

At the recommendation of many posters here, I purchased this book before my trip in October. My review of this book was opposite of the findings from the gentleman from Brazil. It was extremely useful. I used it as reference before the trip and took it with me during my trip where I opened it often for information. I went to the site you mentioned at amazon and posted my own review of this book. I just wanted to thank you for writing an informative sometimes funny and very useful book.

jessica5.gif

I bought your book in October, and am going to US/IOA next week with my 10-year old. My cousin, who lives in Orlando, and who seems to go to US/IOA every other week, read the book when she was home for Christmas, and stated that the book was so informative regarding shops, restaurants, hotels, etc., that she will purchase one herself as a reference-- even though she lives in Orlando!!
I'll give my definite opinion on the book after I return from US/IOA, and let you know my opinion. But if my cousin, who lives in Orlando and visits US/IOA frequently gave it a "thumbs-up", I'm sure I will as well.

Wow I didn't know such a book existed. It sounds like just what I need and I am looking forward to my order arriving - so some good came out of it.

Angela

I haven't read your book but if you send me a free copy I'll be sure to post a review on Amazon.

What a great way to try and INCREASE YOUR SALES. Why not just say "Hey, Buy my Book!" I cannot believe you are this upset over 1 (?) negative review by a nobody.

<a href="http://members.tripod.com/~dznefreek/IOAGuide1.html"><font color=royalblue>Visit the Unofficial Guide to Islands of Adventure!</a>

I would be pretty upset about the negative feedback to, especially when it seems to be a blatant plug for another book. Kelly and his books are very well respected on these boards and it certainly isn't a sales plug. Almost everyone that visits these boards knows about his excellent books and websites, and has bought a copy if they wish to do so. Many people on this site use his books a great deal (I don't own it, but have read his website) and often post information from them on these boards. He provides a great deal of information to the Universal community and I believe he has every right to ask for some support and feedback on his book. People are constantly plugging websites and asking for feedback on them too.

Jim

As someone who has read the book and met Kelly last year at an UIS meet, I must say the review was unfair. The book is outstanding, thoroughly informative and a fun read. From the hour I spent with him, I can say Kelly is a great person, and am proud to have his book on my shelf. Don't let the personal attacks get to you.

Dave

"Compose your final, loathesome dirge!"

Some people have no life to speak of. Some of those people choose to belittle those who do to make themselves feel superior. In the end, they never really do feel any better and they are still stuck with the empty life they decided to hang on to because they do not have what ever it takes to bring meaning into their empty lives. I would not take this insult to heart. There are "blue with envy" people everywhere in life who are hell bent on throwing monkey wrenches into the joy of other. Best way to stop them is to ignore them. Since your book is so widely accepted and enjoyed, I would have to believe that "his" was not an honest opinion, but more like a "kill joy" comment.

Tootles ! Uneamie

JIMI.gif

While I am here I might as well advertise my web home and 2 year literary project as well.

If you like music, exquisite graphics, and touching poetry all wrapped up into one please vist Poetry Parlor ;)

When people ask for a recommendation on a good Universal book, I don't even have to think. I recommend Kelly's book outright. I read that review on Amazon.com. I had to look in the book for Disney-bashing and I found none. Anyway, the good thing is that the majority of good comments will probably drown out the bad.

guy.gif

Barry Hom
The moderator formerly known as Barry aka usagi
Moderator, Universal and Sea World Boards

We won't visit USF/IOA until late November. Will there be an updated edition out before then?

I PICKED IT UP AT MY LOCAL LIBRARY BECAUSE I'M PLANNING MY FIRST TRIP TO UNIVERSAL IN FLORIDA LATER THIS YEAR.

THIS WAS AN EXTREMELY HELPFUL GUIDE......I LOVE ALL THE DETAIL.

SEEMS THE POSITIVE REACTION TO THE BOOK FAR OUTWEIGHS THE NEGATIVE.

I don't know of an update to the Universal book, but Amazon.com does have an update listed for his first book, Orlando's Other Theme Parks. It's scheduled for a 3/15 release.

guy.gif

Barry Hom

I am HAPPY to post a positive review for Kelly's book! After all the money and time he saved me, I have no problem posting exaclty what I think about his book, and I hope it does boost his sales!

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and I suppose more than one person didn't appreciate Kelly's book, but that review did seem like overkill to me.

Patti

didn't read Kelly's book, but I did read the review. it really does sound biased and unfair. (I did read Wiley's book, which I liked -- but there's room in the market for many books, right? I've read Birnbaum's WDW Guide, Rita Areo's Guide and the Unofficial Guide -- the more you know, the better you can plan, right?)

Kelly, I'm going to my library to get your book and check this out for myself.

songbird
star4w.gif

I read Kim Wiley's book as well, and although it was great for disney, it really did not have all THAT much universal stuff in it to speak of. Kelly's book is great and I posted my review on it as well!

Carrie
LOL.gif

wave.gif

Hey Kelly, I was trying to order a book off your website www.theotherorlando.com, but it seems to be down. What's happening?

guy.gif

Barry Hom

Aloha Kelly,

We are heading back to Orlando in March, but leaving home 2/22. Is there anyway we could buy your new book before we leave so I can read it and have it with me on vacation?

OOPS, just saw on www.intrepidtraveler.com under catalog of books I could order the Other Orlando. If I order it there will I get the new one you just published. I am willing to pay the higher shipping charge just to get it now. I think your Universal book was the absolute best and so do not need to see reviews or anything before I order your new book.

Mahalo,
Donna
Just let me know that if I order it through the Intrepid Traveler web site, will I get the new one?

[This message was edited by Molokai Gram on 01-12-01 at 11:02 PM.]

This is the first time I've been on this particular discussion board, and by chance I bought your book yesterday at Barnes & Noble. I've never been to Universal, and will have to opportunity to go in February before a conference at WDW. I knew nothing about Universal and stayed up till 1230am reading. It was very helpful. Boo hiss on that reviewer!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!