Sizzix, Sidekick, Coluzzle...oh my!

SalandJeff

Disney Addict x 3
Help! New scrapper here. What are all these things....I know what the Sizzix is...are these all for diecuts. What is the difference between these products (and any others). What are the adapters they use (I saw that in another post).

Can you make diecut titles that are all one word (letters attached)?

If they all do the same thing, which do you recommend. :confused3

Thanks!

SalandJeff said:

Thanks!

Sizzix is the die cut machine ( I like this the best-- IMO it has more flexiblity) I have several Coluzzle also-- however you have to cut by hand through the template, not so bad, but I am not that good at cutting the connecting tabs. One of my Scrap buddies and I share our sizzix alphas and dies so it keeps the cost down (at least thats what we tell our husbands ;) )

If you can go to your LSS and try out some of their machines before you try, buy the paper at the store, and many let you use their die cut systems for free.

good luck

I don't have the big sizzix so I can't speak to it, I did just get the sidekick though and it totally rocks! you can't use the big sizzix dies in it, have to get the sizzlets... but here's the best part..... I can use all my fabulous quickutz dies in the sidekick now that I have the adapter for it. Makes it much easier than using the actual qk hand tool, you just turn the sidekick handle, no more squeezing. :goodvibes You can also emboss with the sidekick... apparently (and I don't know for sure because my spare envelope thingie isn't here yet) you can use any embossing template you want. and the sidekick is little and very portable. :goodvibes I'm not a fan so much of the sizzix alpha's but now it doesn't matter since I can use my qk stuff. :goodvibes maggie

SalandJeff said:
Help! New scrapper here. What are all these things....I know what the Sizzix is...are these all for diecuts. What is the difference between these products (and any others). What are the adapters they use (I saw that in another post).

Can you make diecut titles that are all one word (letters attached)?

Thanks!

The Sidekick is like a small Sizzix. It only cuts Sizzlits, not the original Sizzix dies. "Adapters" can be used with the Sidekick so that you can use dies from other cutters, such as QuiKutz. It's lightweight & portable.

A "converter" can be used with the Sizzix so that you can use the Sizzlits dies as well as the originals. It weighs a LOT and isn't really portable because of that. (You can move it, but probably don't want to. ;)) As far as I know you can't use the "adapter" & other companies' dies with it.

The alphas are not connected. Each letter has its own die, which is probably why they are so expensive.

Of the two, I chose the Sizzix because of the versatility. I can cut all of the dies (original & Sizzlits) with the exception of the new border ones.

The Coluzzle - you can get alphas for it, although the clerk at Mikes who demo'd it for me said they are the hardest to cut. I have one alpha set of caps & didn't have too much trouble. You can also get some themed shapes, but not nearly as many as with Sizzix. (I was also told that most people have trouble using this one because they don't peel the protective sheeting off of the templates - from both sides.)

The reason I asked for the Coluzzle for my b'day was to use for photo mats instead of the Creative Memories system. The nested templates for circles, ovals, squares, etc give much more flexibility than CM, but are more awkward to cut because of the connecting pieces. I've gotten it down though - just as there was a learning curve to the CM system....althought I still can't cut the complicated shapes like the heart without saying bad words! ;))

The Coluzzle is also cheaper than the CM system - esp. since you can use those 40% coupons! (I also got the CM system with circles & ovals for my birthday & like that as well.) Oh and you can get some frames from Sizzix, but they're only one size & I'd never use them to cut my photos.

I tried the Circle Scissors thinking I'd get the most flexibility in sizes with that one, but hated it! I couldn't cut anything smaller than its circumference. There must be a way, but I gave up when I found the Coluzzle worked so easily.

For cropping & matting photos it's still a toss-up as to what I prefer. Although I really like it, the cost is a downer for the CM system...plus there's less flexibility on sizes & shapes. Frankly, the learning curve was longer for me with it too. But I like the Coluzzle too - biggest downer here is those connecting pieces you have to cut. :confused3

There are a number of ladies here who have the QuiKutz. I have no experience with that one, but I'd check into that as well before you make a decision on what to buy.

Good luck!

I have the Original Sizzix and the Sidekick and love them both! The Sidekick gets more use at the moment because I can cut so many letters at once with the 13 inch cutting pads, so I use it more. I have no experience with teh Coluzzle or the Quickutz though.

:)

I have all three and I love them all. I use the Sizzix the least. Not a big fan of the letters but I like the dies and only have a few. Hoping to get more soon.

I love the sidekick alpha's the best and it is easy to use.

The coluzzle for shapes is the best. I have the circle, oval and star. I have had them for about 5 years. I think I was one of the first to get them (my mom got me them for Christmas). Never knew anyone else that had them until recently. I think they are easy to use, inexpensive, there is a variety of sizes and shapes. Never had a problem with cutting them. I use little pointed scissors and they come out smooth.

Hope this helps.

Have used my girlfriends quick kutz which is awesome but takes its toll on my hand, very hard to press. At least for me.

Also have another friend with the sizzix and love it but way too heavy to tote to crops, and for me I would only use some of the dies one or two times so its not very cost effective.

I love the sidekick for alpha....use them on most every page. Although I bought the classic alpha and I think they are toooooo tiny....havent found a place I would use them yet. :(.

Have fun what ever you buy!!!

But I would go to a LSS that has them all , buy some paper and play with their machines first.

goofymom/pop said:
.......Have fun what ever you buy!!!

But I would go to a LSS that has them all , buy some paper and play with their machines first.

This is a terrific suggestion! When I was first starting I'd never heard of any local scrap store near me. I found a couple, though, by following a "store locator" link for some type of product. I wish I could remember which so I could give you a link. :confused3

goofymom/pop said:
.....I love the sidekick for alpha....use them on most every page. Although I bought the classic alpha and I think they are toooooo tiny....havent found a place I would use them yet. :(........

I bought the Classic alpha and have used it in a Circle Journal. The book was 6x8 and it was almost (but not quite) too large. I'm not one for large things - even though I use 12x12 albums.

I've also used the Girls are Weird alpha & really liked it! In fact, that's on my Christmas list! But I think that's even smaller than the Classic.

I'm just curious....Do you use the regular alphas? Or are the Sizzlit alphas you use just larger than the Classic?

TIA

My view point on these items -
I have had colluzzle for a few years - never use it now that I have sizzix and sizzlettes - LOT of time and work - but good option for CHEAP money!

Sizzix - Big and heavy - machine and bulky dies with LARGE fonts - do love it though! I use it for a lot of not scrapbooking projects too as you can use foam, fabric, etc in it.

Sizzllette/Sidekick - LOVE IT - Love the alphas, love the ease of use, love the size of it, love that you can use Quik Kutz dies in it

IF I HAD IT ALL TO DO OVER AGAIN -
I would RUN to www.shopathomenetowrk.com
and buy the Wishblade special -
99.99 per month for 5 months - comes with 4 fonts, and a bunch of other stuff!
If we weren't spending so much building th ehouse I would be ALL OVER that special!
Good luck!

pattyt...thanks for the heads up on the shop at home wishblade special...i hope they still have this special in a month or so, if they do, it will be mine!!!

i have all of the above mentioned things...coluzzle, sidekick and sizzix, and quickutz.

first of all, just like with cars, if you can, try before you buy!!!

coluzzle is good, however the alphas with this are not...well, the earliest bubble type one is, but the newer ones aren't...the idea behind the coluzzle is to go from notch to notch without stopping...some of the newer alphas have angles, and the knife does not do angles. but, i used to love the circles, and ovals...big, small and companion sets. i just don't seem to use them anymore. but a great cost effective tool for the beginners. i would say to def buy them somewhere where you can use a coupon!!!

the sixxix hardly ever gets used...unless i want to do something with the original dies...to heavy to keep taking out and putting away (it doesn't have a home to keep out all the time)...my sidekick is still in the box, but i have used another and this is awesome!!! especially with the qk's or sizzlets.

qk...this is my favorite!!! love the alphas!!!!! they are awesome, and just came out with another one this week...that i just have to have!!! their fonts are by far the best yet. the tool is ok, but i haven't had a problem with it...i am getting the new handle...and boy is this one easier!!! can't wait to get it!!! do i need it??? no, as i have the other and the sidekick, but i just want it!!!

sizzix...big dies (sizewise) up to 4 inches, too heavy for travel
sizzlets...small dies...and now borders...but are only a couple inches high by a couple inches - a foot long
qk...small dies...the biggest die being approx 2x2.

bottom line...do your homework!!! see what you like the best (go to all the sites...sizzix.com, quickutz.com, etc...look at all the fonts, dies, etc. see which is more comfortable for you to use, store, travel with. it is up to you to know what is best for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter