Silly question about bell services...

Many non Americans are finding the tipping going out of control. Remember the Curb Your Enthusiasm where his thermostat was broken in his hotel and the person who came to repair it held his hand out for a tip? It’s not unrealistic is it!?
When I was at Boardwalk bell services took my stuff to my car. Then he stood there watching whilst I took the cases off the cart, and loaded the trunk up on my own, 8 cases. I was kind of surprised as I’d thought he muck in and help me load. I gave him $10.
Kudos for your generosity! Sure he/she appreciated the $10. Again, it is a complimentary service. At a resort like Boardwalk, the carts are what they need to work with. Tools of the trade. Gotta love the Argyle Socks he was wearing.

While I agree that expecting to use the bell carts is not reasonable, I don't think it's that simple. DVC is a timeshare and many, if not most, timeshares offer carts for members to use including a number of them that also have bell services. Personally I think they should just do away with bell services at the timeshare only locations and likely cut it back at the rest.

While I agree that expecting to use the bell carts is not reasonable, I don't think it's that simple. DVC is a timeshare and many, if not most, timeshares offer carts for members to use including a number of them that also have bell services. Personally I think they should just do away with bell services at the timeshare only locations and likely cut it back at the rest.

Disney's Union doesn't like cut backs plus DVC owners are paying Bell Services wages.

:earsboy: Bill

Disney's Union doesn't like cut backs plus DVC owners are paying Bell Services wages.

They've already cut it back by outsourcing valet who are doing part of the job of the valet's anyway. I wonder how much we're paying as members vs the tips, probably minimum wage or close. VGF already has carts and I know VB did at one point, I assume they still do. IMO this is the standard in timeshares, including many with bell services, but it's not universal.

FYI, baggage handling tips are included in the DME service. That is why they will deliver your bags when you are not there.

They've already cut it back by outsourcing valet who are doing part of the job of the valet's anyway. I wonder how much we're paying as members vs the tips, probably minimum wage or close. VGF already has carts and I know VB did at one point, I assume they still do. IMO this is the standard in timeshares, including many with bell services, but it's not universal.
They won't cut out Bell Services at Timeshare only like Saratoga Springs and Old Key West. Many guests/owners still require assistance to carry their items at Check In and Check Out. Old Key West does not have elevators and if you do not have a vehicle to boot, you'll need a ride to your villa.........along with Luggage/Grocery assistance. Combined resorts like Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary......to name a few have resort rooms along with villas. You can't offer Bellperson assistance to one and bypass the other. Also, at a Deluxe to maintain the "ratings," you need to offer Bellperson assistance. If not, you risk losing status and thus room rates have to drop. Disney does not wanna drop room rates. Also, to maintain ratings departments like Bell Services and Housekeeping have to remain with "in house" people. Actual Disney Castmembers. Valet is not required to be in house area and can thus be 3rd party. Vero Beach isn't considered a "full service" resort and can get away without offering Bell Services. Same with Art of Animation, All Star Resorts and Pop Century. Outsourced Bell Services and NOT Deluxe Resorts. Thus, lower rates than at a Boardwalk Inn and Villas, Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower....to name a few more deluxes. Even moderate resorts like Riverside and Coronado have to have in house Bell Services and Housekeeping or even those rates would drop to values like the above mentioned All Star and Pop Century. And Bellpersons are also only paid a tipped wage below minimum. From what one Bellperson told me, somewhere around $5/hour. Not a big salary expense.

Last edited:
They won't cut out Bell Services at Timeshare only like Saratoga Springs and Old Key West. Many guests/owners still require assistance to carry their items at Check In and Check Out. Old Key West does not have elevators and if you do not have a vehicle to boot, you'll need a ride to your villa.........along with Luggage/Grocery assistance. Combined resorts like Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary......to name a few have resort rooms along with villas. You can't offer Bellperson assistance to one and bypass the other. Also, at a Deluxe to maintain the "ratings," you need to offer Bellperson assistance. If not, you risk losing status and thus room rates have to drop. Disney does not wanna drop room rates. Also, to maintain ratings departments like Bell Services and Housekeeping have to remain with "in house" people. Actual Disney Castmembers. Valet is not required to be in house area and can thus be 3rd party. Vero Beach isn't considered a "full service" resort and can get away without offering Bell Services. Same with Art of Animation, All Star Resorts and Pop Century. Outsourced Bell Services and NOT Deluxe Resorts. Thus, lower rates than at a Boardwalk Inn and Villas, Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower....to name a few more deluxes. Even moderate resorts like Riverside and Coronado have to have in house Bell Services and Housekeeping or even those rates would drop to values like the above mentioned All Star and Pop Century. And Bellpersons are also only paid a tipped wage below minimum. From what one Bellperson told me, somewhere around $5/hour. Not a big salary expense.
They likely won't but they could. Many top timeshares don't offer bell services and a number that do also have carts to use, and they manage to take care of those with mobility issues just fine. They could easily scale it back to as needed and still meet the rating criteria.

They likely won't but they could. Many top timeshares don't offer bell services and a number that do also have carts to use, and they manage to take care of those with mobility issues just fine. They could easily scale it back to as needed and still meet the rating criteria.
True. With Disney, they still wanna and for Disney have to maintain a "level of service." Ratings "graders" like Forbes and AAA, frown upon it when they see a guest with a cart when Bell Services is in house.

True. With Disney, they still wanna and for Disney have to maintain a "level of service." Ratings "graders" like Forbes and AAA, frown upon it when they see a guest with a cart when Bell Services is in house.
I'm not sure the last is true but regardless IMO it is a standard for a timeshare to have carts for guests to use.

I'm not sure the last is true but regardless IMO it is a standard for a timeshare to have carts for guests to use.
This gets at the cultural differences between hotels and timeshares. The folks at the latter tend to be more self-reliant. After all, they want a kitchen on vacation! They don't expect housekeeping services beyond maybe a mid-week refresh, and often not even that. Even top-shelf timeshares often don't have "real" restaurants. For example, the Hilton Waikoloas come to mind. There are restaurants in the hotel complex, and the Ocean Tower is being converted to timeshares, but until that happened the best was a very casual outdoor place by the pool at Kings Land that may not have even been open for dinner.

DVC's insistence that they aren't really a timeshare (all evidence to the contrary) makes this a little more complicated. Those of us with significant timeshare experience find these things unnecessary. But, those that are coming from the hotel side of the business who've never been to another timeshare development are surprised that there isn't daily housekeeping. So, it's a balance.

This gets at the cultural differences between hotels and timeshares. The folks at the latter tend to be more self-reliant. After all, they want a kitchen on vacation! They don't expect housekeeping services beyond maybe a mid-week refresh, and often not even that. Even top-shelf timeshares often don't have "real" restaurants. For example, the Hilton Waikoloas come to mind. There are restaurants in the hotel complex, and the Ocean Tower is being converted to timeshares, but until that happened the best was a very casual outdoor place by the pool at Kings Land that may not have even been open for dinner.

DVC's insistence that they aren't really a timeshare (all evidence to the contrary) makes this a little more complicated. Those of us with significant timeshare experience find these things unnecessary. But, those that are coming from the hotel side of the business who've never been to another timeshare development are surprised that there isn't daily housekeeping. So, it's a balance.
Agreed though DVD/DVC doesn’t claim not to be a timeshare as that'd be illegal. In my view they're just a timeshare.

Last edited:

Very true about the balance. I've spoke to different guests in my time. Mostly from the hotel side but that do DVC, too. Many believe it or not, love the service aspect. Me. If I'm spending so much on a room and I have a lot of stuff I don't mind giving someone a few dollars to assist with mine and families items........since it's a convenience. At Disney, if DVC's aren't booked, anyone off the street can book a room at say, Saratoga Springs as a hotel for a night or two. Spread out resort so I kinda expect some extras. Again, coming from a mainly hotel/resort as I'm used to. I do see your point about the balance. Again, to me I don't mind giving a $5/hr employee a few dollars to save my back. :love2:
It's at the regular hotel side (mainly), that at a Full Service Hotel that Bellpersons should not have to surrender the tools they use to work. I can make the best burger ever. Better than most restaurants. Yes, I'm bragging. : ) I just can't walk into a restaurant kitchen and make it myself.

Last edited:
Many non Americans are finding the tipping going out of control. Remember the Curb Your Enthusiasm where his thermostat was broken in his hotel and the person who came to repair it held his hand out for a tip? It’s not unrealistic is it!?
When I was at Boardwalk bell services took my stuff to my car. Then he stood there watching whilst I took the cases off the cart, and loaded the trunk up on my own, 8 cases. I was kind of surprised as I’d thought he muck in and help me load. I gave him $10.
Many Americans are finding it getting out of hand as well. Sorry, but if you are there to fix my air conditioning, you are not getting a tip, you are a repairman and as such I already know you get a pretty decent wage to begin with.

And you gave him $10 for that? He would have been lucky to get $0.50 from me, if you are expecting a tip, do the work or don't be upset when you don't get a tip.

Agreed though DVD/DVC doesn’t claim not to be a timeshare as that'd be illegal. In my view they're just a timeshare.
Actually, they are not really a timeshare in the traditional sense considering that you are buying for a set number of years and that is OK. They do still claim to be a timeshare of sorts, as they do still have to give you the legal notice that any communications is an attempt to sell you interest in a timeshare.

Actually, they are not really a timeshare in the traditional sense considering that you are buying for a set number of years and that is OK. They do still claim to be a timeshare of sorts, as they do still have to give you the legal notice that any communications is an attempt to sell you interest in a timeshare.
There are lots of different types of timeshares, the traditional fixed week fixed unit is rare now days. Here is a quote from the DVC website. "THIS PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL IS BEING USED FOR THE PURPOSE OF SOLICITING SALES OF TIMESHARE INTERESTS." It would be illegal for them them to claim they are not a timeshare, at least in FL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter