Should we go now or postpone? Immunocompromised Child

danceintherain

DIS Veteran
Let me preface this by saying, we have talked with his oncologist, and she is supportive of whatever decision we make. She'll write letters, give us referrals to doctors in Orlando, etc etc. But, it's not a straight forward decision.
My youngest was recently dxed with cancer. They got the tumor out, but the pathology report indicated that cancerous cells made it to his bloodstream, so he's on chemo to prevent it from seeding elsewhere in his body. He had his first treatment last week, and he's doing very well thus far. The survival/remission rate for his type of cancer is like 95%, and he will be done with chemo at the end of June. DH is VERY concerned about traveling with an immunocompromised child. I'm less concerned, because I feel like experiencing life and joy is important. Disney is my happy place and I love being with my kids in my happy place, even when they're chasing pigeons.

We have a Disney trip planned with extended family in early/mid-March. It will be approximately 2 weeks after his next chemo treatment. DH indicated, before we talked to the doctor, that we could reschedule for later in the year (probably December) if we didn't go on this extended family trip. He will be done with chemo in June.

We've been planning the March trip for 3 years now....maybe even longer. There are 20 of us, and we are renting points to stay in (3) 2 BR villas at the Beach Club. My parents are paying for most of the trip, airfare, hotel, tickets, and Genie+. They are not paying for local transportation and food.
The airfare is Southwest, so we can probably get a credit for part of it, and a refund for the rest.
The point rental isn't really refundable, but the rest of my family will just "spread out." My mom was already worried about my 3 youngest siblings having to share a villa, instead of having their own room(s).
The tickets will be annoying to manipulate. DH has an Armed Forced Salute ticket, but I assigned the other 5 for this year to my sister and her family, because they may only do 3 or 4 days now, then go back for another day or two at a different point in the year. They live close enough to do this, and AFS tickets don't expire the same as regular tickets. But, if DH and I aren't there, then nobody will be able to activate the tickets. So, I would need to figure out how to reassign tickets.
DH is worried that his boss won't be happy if he takes time off for Disney, when he's already been taking so much time off for medical related stuff (his and YDS). I doubt this is well founded, since his 50% is better than most people's 100%, but he's just been working from home more, and traveling less. He has only worked for the company for about 6 months, so he doesn't qualify for FMLA. But, they're not making his track his PTO.
This is a LONG standing argument for us, so I have a hard time taking it seriously. DH hates traveling, and very rarely takes all of his PTO. He had like 2 months paid out when he retired from the military, and like 2 weeks when he left his last job. He had like 2 weeks at the end of the year, after only working there for 4 months, and "said" he would take it off, but only ended up taking maybe one day a week, and still took work calls. The only time he doesn't get upset about taking time off is when we having a new baby, we're moving, or he's changing employers. He always takes calls. He's always worried people are judging him or mad at him for something, when his performance reviews at work are always phenomenal, even when he reports to people that don't like anyone, and people always want to be his friend. He's always suspicious of people and their motives. (He got dxed with ADHD last year, but doesn't think it's an accurate dx)

If we go back in December, we would be paying for the trip ourselves. Not a burden. We would probably stay in 2 rooms at the Wilderness Lodge (because Christmas decorations) but I'm more concerned about not having connecting/close together rooms than my husband is. We did it on a cruise last summer, and it was a PITA. I spent A LOT of time and energy running kids and things between rooms. We could look at other options, so that's not a definite issue. We probably won't go higher deluxe than Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge. So no walking to parks. I doubt DH will set foot on the Skyliner. We will probably rent a car either way, because its what DH prefers.
We would have tickets already, as long as the reassigning works, and we go before the end of the year.
We would probably have enough SWA credit to cover the tickets in December, since the cost for Spring Break here was super overinflated. ($1000pp for a ticket that usually costs about $300pp and only about half the current tickets are fully refundable) But if we have to pay full price, then so be it.
I'm not thrilled about pulling my older kids out of school for it, but we would need to avoid the summer, since DH can't do heat. I could consider Thanksgiving, but DH doesn't do awesome with crowds either. We wouldn't be doing Spring Break, except we're making concessions for the group....and it's "early" spring break.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around a more firm decision before we reach out 30 day DAS window later this week. DH will definitely qualify, if I can get him to do the video chat. He didn't come on our last trip, because he was worried he would drag the trip down with his limitations (and he didn't want to take the time off). YDS maybe not so much, but I figure I'll try. I don't want to go without anyone. YDS has never been, and is my most joyful child. He will be thrilled about this trip. Also, if DH stays home with YDS, then it wouldn't solve any of the work related problems, and possibly make them worse, because YDS is a very vocal tiny tyrant. Either way, I plan to do a few hours in the parks in the morning, then do an afternoon break. We may, or may not, return to the parks in the evenings. Overall, I expect DH will spend more time in the room than anyone, and YDS will be with him most of the time.

Anyway, I know that was a novel. I can try to break it down to pros and cons, if necessary. But, most of it is "feelings" related, which are hard to quantify.

Can everyone you're traveling with wear masks on the planes/transportation/enclosed spaces? Do they all have flu and covid shots?

If so, I would go, and get a stroller or wagon tagged as a wheelchair for your YDS so he can stay in it in lines a bit more away from people, and make him wear a mask the whole time.

That's the only way I would feel comfortable, if you're looking for advice on what I would do.

Mid March is FL and TX spring break. Peak peak peak crowds. No way I would go in that crowd, even if I weren't immunocompromised. Your husband doesn't even want to do this. You are risking his job and your kid's health. What are you doing?

There is no way I would do this trip. The stakes are too high.

If you really must go to Disney, go in August. His health will be better and there won't be crowds. Heck, just go the two of you. Nobody else wants to do this.

DVC is wide open in August. Reschedule for then. Everyone will understand scheduling for when a kid is done with chemo in June.

Last edited:
Can everyone you're traveling with wear masks on the planes/transportation/enclosed spaces? Do they all have flu and covid shots?

If so, I would go, and get a stroller or wagon tagged as a wheelchair for your YDS so he can stay in it in lines a bit more away from people, and make him wear a mask the whole time.

That's the only way I would feel comfortable, if you're looking for advice on what I would do.
That's the plan!
Will they tag a wagon as a wheelchair? I thought Disney was a strict "no wagons" location?
As far as him wearing a mask....that's a tough one. He was born March 2020, so he was exempt from wearing a mask for the most part the last few years.
Everyone else can probably do it, or social distance from us. He already sees 75% of the group on a regular basis. My sister and her family are the only ones that live out of state, and 2 of her kids have autism, so they're going to be very uninterested in having him in their space.
Right now, we're set up to pretty much have a 2BR villa to ourselves, so he won't be sharing sleeping space with anyone outside the household. We don't even have to eat in the restaurants.

That's the plan!
Will they tag a wagon as a wheelchair? I thought Disney was a strict "no wagons" location?
As far as him wearing a mask....that's a tough one. He was born March 2020, so he was exempt from wearing a mask for the most part the last few years.
Everyone else can probably do it, or social distance from us. He already sees 75% of the group on a regular basis. My sister and her family are the only ones that live out of state, and 2 of her kids have autism, so they're going to be very uninterested in having him in their space.
Right now, we're set up to pretty much have a 2BR villa to ourselves, so he won't be sharing sleeping space with anyone outside the household. We don't even have to eat in the restaurants.
Wagons are allowed for children with medical needs/disabilities. You need special permission which you obtain upon arrival, and while it isn't guaranteed, it's an option.

But this kid's 2? Maybe 3? I would not go. I thought he was like 7 or 8.

I was afraid of that. But, I definitely needed to hear it from people who love Disney as much as I do.

DH just hates traveling with the kids so much that it seemed like another excuse to not go.
I'll at least start figuring out the details for cancelling.

Ask the rental to move you to August. Maybe you can't get BC, but you can get a 2BR in August.
August isn't an option. My husband has dysautonomia and that type of heat just does not work.
According to the contract, we only get 25% credit from changing at this point. I'm hoping they'll just transfer the reservation to my sister's name.

August isn't an option. My husband has dysautonomia and that type of heat just does not work.
According to the contract, we only get 25% credit from changing at this point. I'm hoping they'll just transfer the reservation to my sister's name.
DVC is mobile check in now. You could give her your login. But it shouldnt be an issue to change names on DVC reservations.

Let me preface this by saying, we have talked with his oncologist, and she is supportive of whatever decision we make. She'll write letters, give us referrals to doctors in Orlando, etc etc. But, it's not a straight forward decision.
My youngest was recently dxed with cancer. They got the tumor out, but the pathology report indicated that cancerous cells made it to his bloodstream, so he's on chemo to prevent it from seeding elsewhere in his body. He had his first treatment last week, and he's doing very well thus far. The survival/remission rate for his type of cancer is like 95%, and he will be done with chemo at the end of June. DH is VERY concerned about traveling with an immunocompromised child. I'm less concerned, because I feel like experiencing life and joy is important. Disney is my happy place and I love being with my kids in my happy place, even when they're chasing pigeons.

We have a Disney trip planned with extended family in early/mid-March. It will be approximately 2 weeks after his next chemo treatment. DH indicated, before we talked to the doctor, that we could reschedule for later in the year (probably December) if we didn't go on this extended family trip. He will be done with chemo in June.

We've been planning the March trip for 3 years now....maybe even longer. There are 20 of us, and we are renting points to stay in (3) 2 BR villas at the Beach Club. My parents are paying for most of the trip, airfare, hotel, tickets, and Genie+. They are not paying for local transportation and food.
The airfare is Southwest, so we can probably get a credit for part of it, and a refund for the rest.
The point rental isn't really refundable, but the rest of my family will just "spread out." My mom was already worried about my 3 youngest siblings having to share a villa, instead of having their own room(s).
The tickets will be annoying to manipulate. DH has an Armed Forced Salute ticket, but I assigned the other 5 for this year to my sister and her family, because they may only do 3 or 4 days now, then go back for another day or two at a different point in the year. They live close enough to do this, and AFS tickets don't expire the same as regular tickets. But, if DH and I aren't there, then nobody will be able to activate the tickets. So, I would need to figure out how to reassign tickets.
DH is worried that his boss won't be happy if he takes time off for Disney, when he's already been taking so much time off for medical related stuff (his and YDS). I doubt this is well founded, since his 50% is better than most people's 100%, but he's just been working from home more, and traveling less. He has only worked for the company for about 6 months, so he doesn't qualify for FMLA. But, they're not making his track his PTO.
This is a LONG standing argument for us, so I have a hard time taking it seriously. DH hates traveling, and very rarely takes all of his PTO. He had like 2 months paid out when he retired from the military, and like 2 weeks when he left his last job. He had like 2 weeks at the end of the year, after only working there for 4 months, and "said" he would take it off, but only ended up taking maybe one day a week, and still took work calls. The only time he doesn't get upset about taking time off is when we having a new baby, we're moving, or he's changing employers. He always takes calls. He's always worried people are judging him or mad at him for something, when his performance reviews at work are always phenomenal, even when he reports to people that don't like anyone, and people always want to be his friend. He's always suspicious of people and their motives. (He got dxed with ADHD last year, but doesn't think it's an accurate dx)

If we go back in December, we would be paying for the trip ourselves. Not a burden. We would probably stay in 2 rooms at the Wilderness Lodge (because Christmas decorations) but I'm more concerned about not having connecting/close together rooms than my husband is. We did it on a cruise last summer, and it was a PITA. I spent A LOT of time and energy running kids and things between rooms. We could look at other options, so that's not a definite issue. We probably won't go higher deluxe than Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge. So no walking to parks. I doubt DH will set foot on the Skyliner. We will probably rent a car either way, because its what DH prefers.
We would have tickets already, as long as the reassigning works, and we go before the end of the year.
We would probably have enough SWA credit to cover the tickets in December, since the cost for Spring Break here was super overinflated. ($1000pp for a ticket that usually costs about $300pp and only about half the current tickets are fully refundable) But if we have to pay full price, then so be it.
I'm not thrilled about pulling my older kids out of school for it, but we would need to avoid the summer, since DH can't do heat. I could consider Thanksgiving, but DH doesn't do awesome with crowds either. We wouldn't be doing Spring Break, except we're making concessions for the group....and it's "early" spring break.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around a more firm decision before we reach out 30 day DAS window later this week. DH will definitely qualify, if I can get him to do the video chat. He didn't come on our last trip, because he was worried he would drag the trip down with his limitations (and he didn't want to take the time off). YDS maybe not so much, but I figure I'll try. I don't want to go without anyone. YDS has never been, and is my most joyful child. He will be thrilled about this trip. Also, if DH stays home with YDS, then it wouldn't solve any of the work related problems, and possibly make them worse, because YDS is a very vocal tiny tyrant. Either way, I plan to do a few hours in the parks in the morning, then do an afternoon break. We may, or may not, return to the parks in the evenings. Overall, I expect DH will spend more time in the room than anyone, and YDS will be with him most of the time.

Anyway, I know that was a novel. I can try to break it down to pros and cons, if necessary. But, most of it is "feelings" related, which are hard to quantify.
First, I am so sorry you are going through this, yet so happy his prognosis is good. That is such a positive.

We love Disney and been going since MK opened. DS and I have gone 6x a year for last 15 years BUT, I would postpone.

Through it all I am reading what I bolded, that you really want to be in YOUR happy place. Rough patch right now, happy sounds really good especially with a gathering of family. But HE will just be finishing a treatment and while his last went well you don't know about the next or any other because with each one his immune system is taking another hit. The parks are crowded and I just wouldn't want to take a small child on chemo, an age it is hard to stop from touching everything. At that point he might need down days and lots of naps and might feel bad or be irritable. Then you have your DH (sounds like you anticipate Grumpy) and other children and all the relatives. Add relatives. Sounds like a lot to damper happy.

In December there will be so much less stress from the disease, from the crowds, from coordinating a very large group. He will hopefully have bounced back and be a bit older ~ able to enjoy the trip fully. Sounds like your DH will be more than willing to have a nice December trip (and the parks and hotels are beautiful) and it gives you plenty of time to find a good fit onsite which gives you more flexibility to your days.

I get 3 years of planning and a family "reunion" but my priority would be my sick child, keeping him away from crowds while doing chemo and use the time for planning. Just the fact your doctor wants to give you local doctors referrals in case would be enough for me. As far as any refunds perhaps you'll have more leeway if you explain your young child has cancer.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

It is so hard to make these decisions along with those for your child’s cancer diagnosis. I’m praying you all make it through with flying colors! I just had to postpone a trip because of breast cancer. I hope you all can come to a solution that brings everyone peace.

This cold and flu season is ROUGH, even for individuals who aren’t immunocompromised. My family is fully vaccinated, boosted, generally healthy but we keep getting colds that linger and turn in to secondary infections. It’s not going to be much better in March during peak time at WDW. You are working so hard to save your sons life, why risk it to take the trip now, when you could postpone it to when the risk is much lower?

As a cancer Survivor.. chemo treatment impacts can Vary with each one. I want to wish ur Warrior an Uneventful Push thru treatment and a Complete remission with a healthy Joyful life.
You asked, and I’ll say.. there’d be No Way I’d take a child on Any Disney vacation in this situation.. it’s simply Not worth the risk. Our Fla county just INcreased COVID ratings to mid from low. It’s a want that Needs to be delayed but that’s just me. Blessings ur way, whatever u choose.

Before anything else, I hope your little one has the absolute best possible journey through their treatment and that their remission is lifelong and healthy.

It sounds to me like you are juggling two separate issues. For your son, that needs to be a conversation with his doctors, and with the unpredictability of how anyone might react to chemo, an acknowledgment that even if you plan to go you may have to cancel last minute. If my doctors gave their support and I was willing to accept the possible cancellation, I'd probably consider going. Finding moments of joy and life in a long series of treatments is important but knowing that things may need to move slower and the days built around what works for your youngest is going to be hugely important.

Your husband sounds similar to mine (he was also diagnosed as an adult with adhd, side note: adderal has changed his life and our relationship for the better). He constantly feels like he must be there or no one else can possibly carry the load. It's a lot. I wouldn't ignore his fears of taking your son (anxiety is very common with adhd) but I also would try to keep building on a conversation that allows you guys to make the decision jointly. Whether that means canceling, postponing or modifying...

OP, first off, sending love and support for your son.

Next, since you're asking for opinions, if this were my family, no way would I be taking my son to WDW in the midst of his chemotherapy treatments.

It's not just about you and your traveling group wearing masks, social distancing, etc., etc. It's about every other person you're going to run into in the parks and resort. I've been to WDW several times post-covid and each trip there are fewer and fewer masked parkgoers and at this point there are hardly any hand sanitizer stations at the parks and resorts, which were readily available almost everywhere after they reopened.

Add to that that people are packed in with one another in queues. I personally would not want to expose my immunocompromised child to this.

Wait until December, when his chemo will have been over for several months and you have a firmer grip on what he's doing.

As for your DVC rental, try to have it transferred to your sister's name or find it if she can just use it even though it's in your name.

And for anyone else reading this thread, this is the sort of thing that's one of the negatives of renting DVC points (apologies here to DVC owners who rent points--I don't mean this in a personal way): the financial burden of changing or canceling a rental.

People are aware of this when they book but very few people seem to take into consideration the reality that this might happen to them.

I wish you luck with refunds, etc., but the most important thing is your son's health.

And the next time you book a trip that involves 20 people, consider everyone renting their own room directly from WDW. That way if anyone needs to cancel or change, it won't be such a big deal.

As a cancer Survivor.. chemo treatment impacts can Vary with each one.

Me, too. I felt nearly normal after my first infusion--and the OP says her little guy just had the first.

The second was when the nausea kicked in, and I felt tired practically all the time from then on. The others left me gradually feeling worse until by the last one, I wanted them all to have been done months before.

How a person feels can vary somewhat during the intervals. Just when I'd start feeling not that bad again, it was time for the next infusion. I soon dreaded each following one.
You asked, and I’ll say.. there’d be No Way I’d take a child on Any Disney vacation in this situation.. it’s simply Not worth the risk.

I heartily agree. Take the family to WDW to celebrate his finishing chemo, not during it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter