Should Students be required to perform "Community Service"?

That is so completely not true. You should have lived in my town in 1991.

I did live close by for years. Very old ideas in that area of the country. Very slow to accept new people or new ideas or ways of doing things. Good wrestling though.

Bottom line for me is if you are going to require community service, please also provide the transportation to it! My kids do lots of community service projects through church and service organizations like student council, NHS and the rotary club and I let them pick and choose what they do with it coming down to is do you have a ride or is it at a time I can take you and pick you up.

Around here, the schools charge for transporation services, so that really makes no difference to me. Plus here, if the student is under 16, a parent has to go with them anyway. My wife and I kind of enjoyed getting a chance to do something with our kids. My son helped coach a Junior High age football team for disadvantaged kids. It was a 2 hour a day commitment, 5 days a week. Did it for 2 years. Had so many community service hours that he got an extra rope at graduation, and a $1,000 scholarship from Bank of America.

It's a very long thread. I missed the source of your mandated workers. Where do they come from?

I have had court mandated, Welfare recipients, high school, college sororities and frats, interns, and probably a few more if I really thought about it. In my opinion, you learn to discern who is actually interested, who doesn't mind being there, and who doesn't want to be there, and have options for all those groups.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter