Should schools just have a "do over" year?

Many of my students, 9th and 10th graders, are working hard at home now. They submit daily assignments digitally, read, and take online quizzes. They complete writing assignments and submit them digitally. They meet with us teachers on Zoom and discuss the books they are reading. Everything we do is directly aligned with our standards.

We teachers hold meetings several times a week via Teams and Zoom. We continue to plan and give feedback and meet with students digitally. We contact parents and admin, responding to directives and questions.

My middle schooler works daily doing online assignments and research. She records herself doing video presentations for her classmates to watch. She is even working on the Khan Academy/Disney theme park design course for her gifted class.

My elementary school student reads digital books daily. She has two math workbooks we work out of every day, and she plays First in Math. She has music and PE assignments and videos, and her STEM teacher has many suggested at-home science activities. She watches BrainPop videos and even creates her own videos of her reading from her journal or wishing her friends well. She has learned how to share them with her classmates.
Students and teachers have learned so much about using technology for education- how nice that will be for future courses!

To say that we all need to just start over would be such an insult and a disappointment to all of us who have worked so hard to be successful at digital learning.

I read that post again and again trying to see what you saw.

I saw this part:

“...many kids took their senior trip to Vietnam.”

Now am not entirely clear what “senior trip” means but I am certain it did not “mean being snatched out out their Prom in their tux.”

Where do you read that in ArielRae’s quote?

Nor do I see it saying those young men and women spent an entire year in Vietnam.

Did I miss something written there?
I don’t know that the original poster meant it that way but it’s a FB “shaming” meme. The intent is to make kids feel guilty about being sad for missing events/rights of passage that matter to them. These kids have a right to feel disappointed and shouldn’t be shamed for it. It’s natural to be bummed about missing something you’ve worked so hard for.

Hey I was thinking for my college kids it would be nice if they just did the semester over. But now they've come up with the kids can either take their online classes for just credit, pass/fail; or for a grade. They have about a month to decide. I'm cool with that :thumbsup2 .

But my College Senior Daughter who is a nursing major she's not able to get in the hospitals to finish her clinicals and now they are doing simulations. She's a little nervous about gaining the skills she needs to be able to actually pass her boards and be a nurse. I'm thinking majors like that should have to do a do over semester so these kids can get in the hospitals and learn the skills they need.

Well, obviously it's not a popular opinion.

I got the topic question from my sister, who is a kindergarten teacher. They start in late August and were supposed to go through mid June and she said she wishes she could just have a do over next year with her class, because they still have almost half a year to go and she worries about how much some of them are struggling and she doesn't feel confident that her 34 students can be ready for 1st grade next year with distance learning, since many of her students come from disadvantaged families. It's not easy to deliver reading and math interventions to struggling students virtually.

So, I was thinking mostly along those lines. There are MANY students who don't have access to the tech needed for online learning, don't have supportive or educated or available parents to guide their learning, etc. Sure, the "good students" can get by with online classwork, but a large majority of students nationwide are not proficient in math or language arts, based solely on standardized test scores. Those are the students who really do deserve a do over. Clearly the demographic of the Dis can't really see this issue clearly.
I'm an elementary school teacher and a mom, and I agree that schools being closed until the end of the year will hurt a lot of kids. It's 2-3 months of learning being taken away, and in most cases (but not all), virtual learning will not be an effective substitute for what goes on in the classroom. Plenty of kids won't miss a beat, but those who have to struggle their hardest to do well academically, those with certain neurological issues who desparately need school to provide socialization opportunities, those who get minimal support at home, and those who are abused at home, are really going to feel the pinch.

There is not much that can be done about it if that call to keep schools closed is made, though. Repeating isn't an option, for all the reasons other posters have shared. (And Lol at how many posters think individual parents can just ask their child's school for their child to repeat a grade that & have that request granted- ha!)

So no, I don't think repeating is the answer, but I also recognize that this gap will be harmful for many, and not just for a few. There are a LOT of challenged kids out there who will be hurt. This is one reason why I'd prefer that after a couple of weeks we move to a more targeted supported seclusion of the medically vulnerable, rather than all of society grind to a halt for 3 months.

Well, obviously it's not a popular opinion.

I got the topic question from my sister, who is a kindergarten teacher. They start in late August and were supposed to go through mid June and she said she wishes she could just have a do over next year with her class, because they still have almost half a year to go and she worries about how much some of them are struggling and she doesn't feel confident that her 34 students can be ready for 1st grade next year with distance learning, since many of her students come from disadvantaged families. It's not easy to deliver reading and math interventions to struggling students virtually.

So, I was thinking mostly along those lines. There are MANY students who don't have access to the tech needed for online learning, don't have supportive or educated or available parents to guide their learning, etc. Sure, the "good students" can get by with online classwork, but a large majority of students nationwide are not proficient in math or language arts, based solely on standardized test scores. Those are the students who really do deserve a do over. Clearly the demographic of the Dis can't really see this issue clearly.
Many of the people who responded are teachers. You’d be hard pressed to find a teacher who doesn’t “see this issue clearly.” We are well-aware of the struggles faced by our kids.

But those statistics that say that students aren’t proficient in Math or Language Arts come from a time when schools are open and in full swing. If you believe that those statistics are legit and that schools are not effective, what’s the point of another ineffective year? If those statistics support the idea that students aren’t learning when they are in school, then what good would a do-over do?

Of course there are going to be students who are at a distinct disadvantage due to various circumstances. There always are. And teachers work extremely hard to support those kids. But holding everyone back and creating a logistical nightmare isn’t the answer.

These kids have a right to feel disappointed and shouldn’t be shamed for it. It’s natural to be bummed about missing something you’ve worked so hard for.

I feel the same way. Terrible disappoints everywhere. I have heard this from my students and young players I have coached: “It”s not fair.” I agree and wish it were not so.

My original questions still stand. I do not think the quote was posted here in an attempt to belittle anyone. I think it was a reminder - we can always use reminders - that our lot in life is not always unique. That others have also had things that may not have been fair come their way.

Isn’t that one of the reasons we study history?

Generally I would say no too. However, as a 3rd grade teacher with a few students that were barely getting by (reading well below grade level), the thought of just pushing them onto 4th grade really saddens me. They’ll never catch up now.
Yes, we are doing remote learning, but for kids with little academic support at home, this whole situation is just awful.
I hope principals and administrations allow us some time in the beginning of the next school year to catch these kids up, instead of forcing us to stick to our curriculum.

How about grading all of the students "pass-fail" for all of their courses this semester, where work done at home during these last several weeks could turn a "fail" into a "pass." Grades would not count towards the grade point averages.

A small number of kids would get a recommendation to repeat the year if they were failing several courses so far.

Summer courses, if offered, should be made available for students to audit if they wished to.

In the spring of 1970, when there was a lot of political unrest centering on the Vietnam War, students at many colleges skipped classes to participate in rallies and demonstrations. Dartmouth College, under pressure from the student body, gave the students "pass" as a grade, similar to an existing provision whereby a student could take a small number of courses "pass-fail.".

Last edited:
I feel the same way. Terrible disappoints everywhere. I have heard this from my students and young players I have coached: “It”s not fair.” I agree and wish it were not so.

My original questions still stand. I do not think the quote was posted here in an attempt to belittle anyone. I think it was a reminder - we can always use reminders - that our lot in life is not always unique. That others have also had things that may not have been fair come their way.

Isn’t that one of the reasons we study history?
Like I said I don’t know this particular poster’s intent but I can promise you that it’s FB intent was to shame. That’s how it works on FB.

eta: And even it wasn’t meant that way, kids don’t need a history lesson right now. It needs to be okay for them just feel what they’re feeling.

I don't agree with shaming people here being upset about their senior year. It doesn't look good IMO to do that. I'm pretty sure we all know there are things that pale in comparison to being in an active war on the war field.
I agree with you. People are allowed to be upset about not being able to experience a rite of passage like this. It does not mean that they don't feel for those who are ill or who have lost family members, and it certainly doesn't mean they don't have feelings for those who were involved or died in the quagmire of Vietnam.

But my College Senior Daughter who is a nursing major she's not able to get in the hospitals to finish her clinicals and now they are doing simulations. She's a little nervous about gaining the skills she needs to be able to actually pass her boards and be a nurse. I'm thinking majors like that should have to do a do over semester so these kids can get in the hospitals and learn the skills they need.

Similar situation here - I'm a physical therapy student at a community college in my last semester. We were supposed to have finals this week and start our last clinical rotation next week. Now we're kind of in limbo - campus is closed for the rest of the semester and we can't take our finals online. And we can't go on clinical until after finals, but none of the clinical sites can take students right now anyway. And we can't take the boards without completing our required clinical hours. So it's a big mess :sad2: I hope everything works out for your daughter!

What do you think? Should schools nationwide just call it at this point and reconvene in the fall and have everyone just repeat the grade they are currently in?

I kind of feel like they should. If our schools don't go back, the kids will have missed an entire semester almost. Our last semester only ended 3 weeks ago.

No matter how hard they try, home based learning will never capture the full breadth of what kids would have learned in a classroom environment. Already, it's pretty clear to me (kids in middle and high school) this is not going to work well long term.

The logistics involved make it impossible for families with multiple kids to dedicate the amount of time each kid would need to receive an equal education, and that's not even accounting for parents who need to work from home during all this!

I'm all for a do over. Everyone will be one year older. Kids start school too young nowadays anyway.
for real? :rotfl:

I agree with you. People are allowed to be upset about not being able to experience a rite of passage like this. It does not mean that they don't feel for those who are ill or who have lost family members, and it certainly doesn't mean they don't have feelings for those who were involved or died in the quagmire of Vietnam.

Agreeing, as well. People do not have the right to judge others for their disappointments. Missing graduation is a huge deal. Prom, summer vacations, birthday parties, whatever. It is more than ok to be upset about life events being canceled.

Many of my students, 9th and 10th graders, are working hard at home now. They submit daily assignments digitally, read, and take online quizzes. They complete writing assignments and submit them digitally. They meet with us teachers on Zoom and discuss the books they are reading. Everything we do is directly aligned with our standards.

We teachers hold meetings several times a week via Teams and Zoom. We continue to plan and give feedback and meet with students digitally. We contact parents and admin, responding to directives and questions.

My middle schooler works daily doing online assignments and research. She records herself doing video presentations for her classmates to watch. She is even working on the Khan Academy/Disney theme park design course for her gifted class.

My elementary school student reads digital books daily. She has two math workbooks we work out of every day, and she plays First in Math. She has music and PE assignments and videos, and her STEM teacher has many suggested at-home science activities. She watches BrainPop videos and even creates her own videos of her reading from her journal or wishing her friends well. She has learned how to share them with her classmates.
Students and teachers have learned so much about using technology for education- how nice that will be for future courses!

To say that we all need to just start over would be such an insult and a disappointment to all of us who have worked so hard to be successful at digital learning.
I agree with you. I have a 6th and 10th grader, and the way that their teachers and the administration have stepped up is amazing. I am completely floored by the hard work and love. We have to make the best of this situation and in my opinion these folks have gone above and beyond.

You sound like you are just like their teachers, and I love how you are using all of the resources out their to help you kiddos. Thank you and if there was a way for me to give you a gold star, I would. Teachers rock!

No way! As people stated most schools are 2/3 the way finished. I truely don't feel kids (especially younger elementary school kids) will be getting what they would have in the classroom through online learning. But I feel like next year will have to try to make up what was missed. Logistically due to the incoming kindergarten class it would never work to make everyone repeat. Plus since schools are done so much of the year it would be useless. I do feel like the online learning should be flexible and not graded considering the situation we are in right now but I know that most likely won't be the case.

Last edited:
Repeat the year? No. Perhaps extending next school year is the answer.

Around here, students go back after Labor Day and are finished mid June. What about starting school a few weeks early and extending the end of the year? The law in my state says school can't go beyond 6/30, but that could most likely be changed for one year. Take the beginning of the year to cover skills missed and then stagger some time off during the school year for breaks - kind of like year-round schooling for one year.

Then the next year (2021-2022), go back to the normal schedule.

No way! As people stated most schools are 2/3 the way finished. I truely don't feel kids (especially younger elementary school kids) will be getting what they would have in the classroom through online learning. But I feel like next year will have to try to make up what was missed. Logistically due to the incoming kindergarten class it would never work to make everyone repeat. Plus since we are done so much of the year it would be useless. I do feel like the online learning should be flexible and not graded considering the situation we are in right now but I know that most likely won't be the case.
That is the case with our district. We have a directive to give helpful feedback and to reteach standards the students are missing, but not to put grades on assignments. Our district is very sensitive to those kids who don’t have access to technology or support at home. Unfortunately, it makes it difficult to give credit to the kids who are doing the work, but at least they are getting the foundations they need for next year.
I agree with you. I have a 6th and 10th grader, and the way that their teachers and the administration have stepped up is amazing. I am completely floored by the hard work and love. We have to make the best of this situation and in my opinion these folks have gone above and beyond.

You sound like you are just like their teachers, and I love how you are using all of the resources out their to help you kiddos. Thank you and if there was a way for me to give you a gold star, I would. Teachers rock!
I’m glad to hear that. And thank you! I hope most schools around the country are doing everything they can to serve the students. I know that most of the teachers and admin with whom I work are genuinely concerned about the students and their learning. I’m glad yours are as well.

Nope.
March has spring break. April would have had students prepping for then taking standardized tests. May would have had field days, class’s trips, assemblies, and minimal learning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter