Should I run from Run Disney?

ConnecticutFlea

Mouseketeer
We were planning a trip January 6-January 14. Run Disney is scheduled to run from January 3 through January 7. On January 7, the race appears to go through all four parks.

How does that impact visitors who aren't part of the marathon? Can we still get into the parks? Will parts of the parks be blocked off for the runners? Will transportation be disrupted due to road closures?

I'm hoping Run Disney veterans can help me so I can plan accordingly. TIA!

I think all of the running events are early in the mornings before parks open. That said, they attract a lot of people, so it could be a bit more crowded during the days as well.

Parks are not blocked. You might have to wait a minute for runners to cross in Epcot during the half and full.

Take Disney transportation on those two mornings especially and go earlier than normal.

Dont avoid it.

January Marathon Weekend is my fave time to go!
The runners do mot impact the park levels at all. The bus transportation is a bit messed up on the mornings of the races, but if you plan ahead and expect it, no problem!

Running a Search for "Marathon" in the title will bring up a lot of threads regarding the most recent Marathon.

Here is one:
Marathon Weekend - How does it affect wait times and transportation
Just be aware this year's Jan Marathon was abnormal due to weather. They cancelled the main race, or some of them at least. So what happened in 2017 is not a good barometer for a regular year.

That said, it doesn't impact much since for the most part they are out of the parks before they open
As PP said, transportation can be a bit of a PITA the morning of the full marathon. Could be a good day for a late breakfast/start.

As a few PPs have said, plenty of threads about it if you search, But what it comes down to, Thursday and Friday the events are at Epcot, and runners should be completely done before the park opens. Sat the Half includes the area around the MK and Epcot, but runners are clear from MK before the park opens. You will run into transportation delays in the MK area for anything PPO, so if you have character breakfast or tour, make sure to build in extra time and plan on taking Disney transport as they know the closures. Sunday the full goes through all 4 parks, but once again are clear of MK before it opens (same guidelines about early AM stuff apply), and the other 3 parks you mostly just need to pay attention to where you are walking and listen to CMs who will tell you when and where to walk. That is for your safety, as well as the runners. You will want to allow some extra time for transportation as there will still be come closures in play until about 11 or 12, but those will be over by AK/WWoS and DHS.

Just be aware this year's Jan Marathon was abnormal due to weather. They cancelled the main race, or some of them at least. So what happened in 2017 is not a good barometer for a regular year.

They cancelled the Half Marathon and the kids races on Saturday. Not the main Marathon on Sunday. Outside of the fact there were no closures Saturday, the rest of the weekend went off exactly as scheduled.

Magic Kingdom is the first park they will run through (race starts at 5:30 am) so you may want to plan that for your park day on Marathon day for less impact on your park touring. Hollywood studios and Epcot are in the last few miles.

Don't avoid Marathon weekend, though! It could be a lot of fun for your group to watch them run by and help cheer them on. Also, runners tend to be a pretty friendly bunch so that always helps at WDW ;)

We were planning a trip January 6-January 14. Run Disney is scheduled to run from January 3 through January 7. On January 7, the race appears to go through all four parks.

How does that impact visitors who aren't part of the marathon? Can we still get into the parks? Will parts of the parks be blocked off for the runners? Will transportation be disrupted due to road closures?

I'm hoping Run Disney veterans can help me so I can plan accordingly. TIA!
I have done Marathon weekend the last three years in a row as a runner. The 6th and 7th are the two biggest races the half and full marathons. Both races have little affect on the parks themselves. However the full can have some affect travel time to say MK early in the morning.

You will be fine and have a great trip. Runners are very nice people for the most part. We will be wearing our medals and shirts in the parks after the races.

That said, it doesn't impact much since for the most part they are out of the parks before they open
As PP said, transportation can be a bit of a PITA the morning of the full marathon. Could be a good day for a late breakfast/start.
No, they did not cancel the main race. They cancelled the Half marathon which is race 3 of 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter