Short May trip

TinkB278

DIS Veteran
Hi All!

We just got back from a short 4 night trip. It was our first time using DVC points and first time back since the pandemic started. This trip was sort of a spur of the moment ordeal to get away for the first time in two years since the birth of our son. I kept going back and forth on whether to bring him or not but decided not to since fastpass is gone and he doesn’t do well standing still. Since we didn’t bring him we canceled our 1 bedroom at RIV and switched to 3 nights at the poly and one night in a riviera std studio.

A couple general observations. I felt like everything moved a lot slower and the parks felt overwhelmingly busy. This was the first time I’ve ever been to Disney and just felt uncomfortable by the amount of people around me.

I learned this trip that I’m not as patient as I thought I was. It felt like even the simplest thing required a wait in a line. I know some people don’t like fast pass but our time in the parks wasn’t really enjoyable. Most lines ended up taking around 60 minutes and so we weren’t able to do every ride we wanted. This was a shock to the system since with fastpass I could usually ride most of our favorites multiple times per day.

I heard they increased capacity the day we left since the outdoor mask rule was lifted. Without shows and other people eaters open it just felt like there were way too many people crammed into the few areas that were open. We decided that if fastpass isn’t back for our September trip, we will do a resort only trip.

Speaking of, the first day of our trip we didn’t go into the parks. We did the DVC open houses and this was the best day by far. Some open houses left me underwhelmed and some wowed me! The GVs at VGF and RIV were my favorites, definitely need to add on more points though to take advantage of those!

Upon checking into the poly I was a little disappointed initially. The rooms felt dark and maybe even a little bit worn, which was surprising to me since the rooms weren’t done too terribly long ago. By the end of the trip I ended up deciding poly was in my top 3 resorts though. I love the landscaping and quick service. We sat outside of capt cooks multiple nights enjoying the pulled pork nachos (so good!) by the water and it truly felt like a relaxing vacation! We capped off each night with a piece of bread pudding to go from the tambu lounge. It was wonderful.

Our trip really took a turn though when we checked into our room at the RIV. We had booked a standard view studio but ended up with an awesome preferred view (room 8784).

The riviera was absolutely fantastic and I’m so glad we decided to buy here! We loved the QS. The food was so nice and light and fresh. We loved the salads, both the tuna nicoise and the Greek. The croque monsieur was also very good! The one disappointing item was the chicken sandwich as the chicken was pretty flavorless. The cast members at the riviera were the best. Specifically both the employees at the coffee shop we interacted with, josh and another girl who’s name I can’t remember. The pool was great, loved the pool bar. Dinner at Topolinos was fantastic. We ordered the rigatoni and scallops. Our server here wasn’t the friendliest or most informative but not bad.

Overall, I truly feel they hit the nail on the head with the theming. It really felt like a hotel on the French Riviera. Sitting by the water watching the Skyliner go by was so relaxing. I could’ve spent my whole trip doing just that. The only problem we have now is I don’t know how we will ever not book a preferred view from this point on. I know it isn’t a view of say the castle, but looking out at the water, pools, and people passing by was so much fun. So excited for our next trip, this time we will be at the riviera the entire time and I can’t wait to explore more and really settle in.

Could not agree more with you regarding the parks--we were at BWV from 5/6-14/21 and every day brought new challenges but for our AK day and our first MK day. At AK we arrived at the early open and rode everything we wanted, ate lunch at 11:00 a.m. and were back at the pool by 12:30 p.m. On 5/6 we hit MK and, again--rode more than we had planned (left Splash, 7DMT and CoP for our second visit) and left by 11:00 a.m. The second MK day was not at all successful although we did manage Splash and CoP.

All of the parks were crowded and queues for everything--you want a soda, queue up. . .want a popcorn, queue up. . .coffee forget it--those queues were horrendous! :headache: We spent every afternoon from around 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. in the pool and then hopped to Epcot.

Could not agree more with you regarding the parks--we were at BWV from 5/6-14/21 and every day brought new challenges but for our AK day and our first MK day. At AK we arrived at the early open and rode everything we wanted, ate lunch at 11:00 a.m. and were back at the pool by 12:30 p.m. On 5/6 we hit MK and, again--rode more than we had planned (left Splash, 7DMT and CoP for our second visit) and left by 11:00 a.m. The second MK day was not at all successful although we did manage Splash and CoP.

All of the parks were crowded and queues for everything--you want a soda, queue up. . .want a popcorn, queue up. . .coffee forget it--those queues were horrendous! :headache: We spent every afternoon from around 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. in the pool and then hopped to Epcot.
Yes! Long lines for EVERYTHING! Shops, Starbucks, the food booths in epcot. The Marco Boba drink at the China F&G booth was so good I wanted to go back for a second but there was no way I was going to wait another 30 mins in line again. I guess we ended up saving some money due to the lines at least 🤣

We own VGF and have loved our stays. But at senior ages our fastpasses are like gold. If FPs don't return so will our time at WDW. DH is not a pool or shopping kind of guy but loves all the crazy rides. I could do resort only staysbut he would not like that. PLEASE bring back fast-passes. (I am coming to WDW in July with two friends. They have never been ot the parks. I fear the lines will be such a turn off they will not wish t return. >:()

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter