She's Five at Riverside - A September 2014 Trip Report (Completed 2/27)

I bet Allie was very happy to tell Aurora that it was her birthday. :) That is interesting that she wanted to go to Blizzard Beach for her birthday. That just proves how much kids like swimming and often prefer it to spending more time in the parks. You were lucky that it didn't rain that afternoon.

I can understand why you'd prefer to go to Trail's End that night, but as we found out when staying at the Beach Club, it is very tricky to get over there if you aren't staying at the WL or FW. The Hoop Dee Doo crowd get in the way. ;)

What a great birthday for Allie so far! That's a great idea to let her make all the decisions for the day. I'm gonna have to steal that one ; )

How sweet of Mickey to sing Happy Birthday to her. I'd never heard him say more than a few stock things, so that is truly special.

Mmm your burger sounds delicious. I love pimento cheese on a burger, but you are right its definitely a very southern thing.

Blizzard beach looks like a fun day. What great luck that it was so empty.

Allie's birthday pics are beautiful.

Can't wait for more!

Great photos! And how special to have Mickey sing for her Bday - love all of it :thumbsup2

Soggy morning is an understatement:umbrella:. But almost all storms at WDW pass fairly quickly, although this one was in the morning rather than the usual afternoon. You guys were up so early - you didn't waste a minute of the BIG DAY. Allie's a trooper and so is her family. Did Allie notice the sign on the door as soon as she awoke?

Larry did a great job with the photos. One of my favorite Photopass photos of us is in 2012 during a tropical storm at MK. The park was deserted because of the August storm. But, the photographers were still able to take photos from beneath the awnings on Main Street. They took photos of us practically alone on Main Street holding our umbrellas and wearing our matching WDW rain slickers - those were fun and unique photos.

Pooh and friends saved the rainy day and Allie looked very alert, unlike Akershus:upsidedow. Love the autographs.

No question that MM singing HB is a precious memory - he's the best!

It looks like Gaston met his match with DGM! And, no line for Aurora?! WOW. I bet Allie got some extra time with her to discuss her outfit.

The Mill looks just terrific and I recall it was our favorite QS. Did Allie sit by the TV each time?

I can't believe all you did in one day! You really make great use of your time and your planning is key. I love the photos of the CMs smiling with Allie on the inner tube at Lizzard Beach:rotfl:

What a great Birthday day!!

That family photo of you all with Mickey is wonderful.

And I love the shots of Allie at Blizzard Beach, particularly the one of her hitting the water at the end of the slide.

Her Birthday photo session was fantastic, she is such a pretty child. I love the photo of her spinning.

Excited to hear about Boatwrights. I've heard such good things!

Aww that is so sweet that Mickey sang to her... <3

Love the birthday pics of her, they turned out really good.

Interested to hear about Boatwrights!

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all the replies. We'll be back to multi-quote soon, but Allie's great grandpa (Melissa's Grandpa) Dean passed away this morning.

Allie's doing ok, and everyone is getting used to it, but it will be sad for a while. He'll be missed.

Thanks for following along and we'll be back soon to finish up Allie's birthday with a wonderful dinner at Boatwrights.

Thanks,
Paul, Melissa, and Allie

So sorry for your loss. You all will be in our thoughts.

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all the replies. We'll be back to multi-quote soon, but Allie's great grandpa (Melissa's Grandpa) Dean passed away this morning.

Allie's doing ok, and everyone is getting used to it, but it will be sad for a while. He'll be missed.

Thanks for following along and we'll be back soon to finish up Allie's birthday with a wonderful dinner at Boatwrights.

Thanks,
Paul, Melissa, and Allie
Thank you for checking in with us and for posting a photo of DGG Dean. We completely understand your temporary absence and we'll be right back here with you when you're ready:grouphug:. Our sincere condolences to your family.

So sorry for your loss. You all will be in our thoughts.

Thank you for checking in with us and for posting a photo of DGG Dean. We completely understand your temporary absence and we'll be right back here with you when you're ready:grouphug:. Our sincere condolences to your family.

Thank you all so much. Telling Allie was one of the hardest things we have ever done, but mainly because she was fortunate enough to have a close relationship with her great grandpa. So few kids get that opportunity that we are glad she had the chance.

Now we continue on and share a little extra love with Allie's GiGi (Great Grandma) who she gets to see every day.

aw, reading about Mickey singing Happy Birthday to her on her birthday is just about the sweetest thing! I think it is a little dusty in here too ;)

Looks like a lot of fun at Blizzard Beach - we've always liked that park when we went - lots of fun slides and just different things to do

Such a great story about that CM who helped you in the check out line - you are right that that is a really thankless job and must be one of the more challenging ones to stay upbeat with.

Those are great birthday pictures of Allie - they do grow so fast! :goodvibes
As surprised as we were when Mickey talked the first time, we were blown away when he sang to her. It was neat.

Blizzard Beach is neat, but wasn't our favorite before because of crowds, so going when it was less crowded worked out perfectly. I think we'll try a late afternoon there again sometime, especially if we can do it after morning rain.

Happy Birthday from Mickey Mouse? It doesn't get better than that! :woohoo:

I've never been to Tom Sawyer Island - I may have to make more of an effort this time as we'll have a longer trip. It looks like fun!

Blizzard Beach! We went there for the first time in 2013 and thought it was great! I love Allie's plan to stay dry on the lazy river - I may have to try it myself! :laughing:

As I haven't seen many Boatwright's reviews, I look forward to seeing what you thought of it!

Yes, it was great to hear Happy Birthday from the head mouse.

You really should take a trip over to explore Tom Sawyer Island. It is just neat how many different paths and tunnels and stuff they have, which makes it the coolest place for a fort ever... You can also just walk around the regular walkways and get everywhere too, so it lets you decide how adventurous to be.

We all might hide under a tube the next time we see a waterfall coming. :)

We really enjoyed Boatwrights, and it worked out perfectly for her birthday dinner. We would eat there no matter where we were staying.

Mickey was our first stop on my DD 5th birthday this year too. I cried when Mickey sang to her too! She had always had a problem with Mickey & Minnie not being able to talk to her. I hope they make Minnie talk soon.

I really admire how much you guys accomplish by hopping around. I'm taking note because I just got my first AP and I can finally park hop.

They do grow up fast don't they? Happy Birthday Allie!!:bday:party::cake:

We hadn't really planned on seeing Mickey on that day, but Allie decided she wanted to and it worked out great. It will be neat once Minnie talks too.

We do enjoy park hopping, but planning is key to avoid too much wasted time. One thing that amazes us about WDW is how far apart stuff is, so spending an hour to get somewhere can be common. In the past we actually hit all four parks and four resorts in one day, but it was rushed. It is still cool to have done it, but this year we did a little more focused park hopping. Enjoy the APs, that should be great.:thumbsup2

I bet Allie was very happy to tell Aurora that it was her birthday. :) That is interesting that she wanted to go to Blizzard Beach for her birthday. That just proves how much kids like swimming and often prefer it to spending more time in the parks. You were lucky that it didn't rain that afternoon.

I can understand why you'd prefer to go to Trail's End that night, but as we found out when staying at the Beach Club, it is very tricky to get over there if you aren't staying at the WL or FW. The Hoop Dee Doo crowd get in the way. ;)

Yeah, going to a water park was always high on Allie's birthday wishlist, so we were glad the weather worked out for it. She was willing to change plans if it kept raining, but as soon as the sun came out she wanted to go swim.

I wasn't too set on Trail's End for the birthday dinner, I just wanted to make sure we got there sometime during the trip, and that didn't leave a good spot or TS credit for Boatwrights. Once we decided to do Via Napoli OOP we had a credit for Boatwrights, and staying close to the room on her birthday made sense.

What a great birthday for Allie so far! That's a great idea to let her make all the decisions for the day. I'm gonna have to steal that one ; )

How sweet of Mickey to sing Happy Birthday to her. I'd never heard him say more than a few stock things, so that is truly special.

Mmm your burger sounds delicious. I love pimento cheese on a burger, but you are right its definitely a very southern thing.

Blizzard beach looks like a fun day. What great luck that it was so empty.

Allie's birthday pics are beautiful.

Can't wait for more!

Thanks. We really enjoyed having it be her day, and it's not like she could have picked anything bad to do, so we went with it. The adults kind of questioned waiting for Mickey at that point in the day, but Allie knew best and it worked out.

I want a Pimento burger now, but that is tougher in CA. Oh well, something to look forward to, and another reason to visit WDW.

Thanks for the compliment on the pictures. Everything came together since we had time, light, and a willing subject so we took advantage of it.

Great photos! And how special to have Mickey sing for her Bday - love all of it :thumbsup2

Thanks, we took a lot of pictures, but these were some of our favorites. :thumbsup2

Soggy morning is an understatement:umbrella:. But almost all storms at WDW pass fairly quickly, although this one was in the morning rather than the usual afternoon. You guys were up so early - you didn't waste a minute of the BIG DAY. Allie's a trooper and so is her family. Did Allie notice the sign on the door as soon as she awoke?

Larry did a great job with the photos. One of my favorite Photopass photos of us is in 2012 during a tropical storm at MK. The park was deserted because of the August storm. But, the photographers were still able to take photos from beneath the awnings on Main Street. They took photos of us practically alone on Main Street holding our umbrellas and wearing our matching WDW rain slickers - those were fun and unique photos.

Pooh and friends saved the rainy day and Allie looked very alert, unlike Akershus:upsidedow. Love the autographs.

No question that MM singing HB is a precious memory - he's the best!

It looks like Gaston met his match with DGM! And, no line for Aurora?! WOW. I bet Allie got some extra time with her to discuss her outfit.

The Mill looks just terrific and I recall it was our favorite QS. Did Allie sit by the TV each time?

I can't believe all you did in one day! You really make great use of your time and your planning is key. I love the photos of the CMs smiling with Allie on the inner tube at Lizzard Beach:rotfl:

We were surprised at how long this storm lasted (and how hard it rained that morning), but it cleared up just in time and we had a nice afternoon. Usually we don't worry about the weather at WDW because it will change soon, but this was one of the longer periods of rain we've seen there. It is great that the PP photographers venture out in it, and the unique results are fun to see.

Allie did love visiting the TV at the Mill, although we usually used it as leverage to get her to finish her lunch first. This time we snagged a picture of her seemingly captivated by broccoli:

The smiling CM pic from the slide was great because we didn't notice it until we were home.

What a great Birthday day!!

That family photo of you all with Mickey is wonderful.

And I love the shots of Allie at Blizzard Beach, particularly the one of her hitting the water at the end of the slide.

Her Birthday photo session was fantastic, she is such a pretty child. I love the photo of her spinning.

Excited to hear about Boatwrights. I've heard such good things!
It was a fun day. We are glad we took the waterproof camera, it resulted in some fun shots.

The birthday pics turned out great too. Thanks for complimenting them.

Aww that is so sweet that Mickey sang to her... <3

Love the birthday pics of her, they turned out really good.

Interested to hear about Boatwrights!

It was so neat to have Mickey sing. We thought the pics turned out neat too, thanks.

We'll continue with the Boatwrights pics and update soon. It was a nice meal though.

Thank you all so much. Telling Allie was one of the hardest things we have ever done, but mainly because she was fortunate enough to have a close relationship with her great grandpa. So few kids get that opportunity that we are glad she had the chance.

Now we continue on and share a little extra love with Allie's GiGi (Great Grandma) who she gets to see every day.
Kids are amazingly resilient and stoic, often times more so than adults. Seeing DGG everyday will help all of you and you can share such wonderful memories, too:grouphug:

ETA: LOVE the broccoli photo. That's so unusual and taken at an interesting angle, too. Looks good enough to eat:laughing:

First of all, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your Grandpa, Melissa. I was fortunate to know my Great Grandparents and I think it is so great that Allie knew him so well, but that also makes it so much harder. My thoughts are with you all.

And now the update response, the Frozen door décor is awesome, what a lucky little girl!

Rain, not a great way to start the day :( You guys looked like troopers though.

How neat that you had a great PP photographer, cool pictures!

I really love the picture looking down Main Street with Allie napping.

Yay for Allie waking up in time for the characters, her pictures are adorable. Love her cute Crocs too!

The fact that Mickey can sing Happy Birthday is AMAZING! What a special treat for Allie! Darn that dust ;)

Haha the Grandma & Gaston photo is great!

I am excited to hear that Tom Sawyer Island is bigger than DL, that was my DD's favorite part of our DL trip.

Allie sure seemed to have a ball at “Lizzard Beach.” My DD saw Allie's pics and now really wants to go there. Did she like one of the water parks more than the other?

I adore that photo of Allie twirling, beautiful!

Kids are amazingly resilient and stoic, often times more so than adults. Seeing DGG everyday will help all of you and you can share such wonderful memories, too:grouphug: ETA: LOVE the broccoli photo. That's so unusual and taken at an interesting angle, too. Looks good enough to eat:laughing:
Yeah, it was an interesting picture before the broccoli came up, but when it did that made it too funny.

First of all, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your Grandpa, Melissa. I was fortunate to know my Great Grandparents and I think it is so great that Allie knew him so well, but that also makes it so much harder. My thoughts are with you all. And now the update response, the Frozen door décor is awesome, what a lucky little girl! Rain, not a great way to start the day :( You guys looked like troopers though. How neat that you had a great PP photographer, cool pictures! I really love the picture looking down Main Street with Allie napping. Yay for Allie waking up in time for the characters, her pictures are adorable. Love her cute Crocs too! The fact that Mickey can sing Happy Birthday is AMAZING! What a special treat for Allie! Darn that dust ;) Haha the Grandma & Gaston photo is great! I am excited to hear that Tom Sawyer Island is bigger than DL, that was my DD's favorite part of our DL trip. Allie sure seemed to have a ball at &#147;Lizzard Beach.&#148; My DD saw Allie's pics and now really wants to go there. Did she like one of the water parks more than the other? I adore that photo of Allie twirling, beautiful!

Thanks we appreciate the sentiment, and it is neat that you got to know your great grandparents as well. She is a lucky girl to have them, and we really appreciate it.

Allie did like the Frozen door hanger, and it was cool that Grandma was able to surprise her with it. We kept it and brought it home.

We are used to having some rain since we go in September, but don't worry it is usually shorter and lighter showers. This was a bigger storm and it rained hard for quite a while. This is where we missed the fully enclosed walkways of the Wilderness Lodge, but it was ok.

If your DD enjoyed Tom Sawyer island at DL she should love it at WDW. The fort is open and you can climb through it and go out an escape tunnel. There are more bridges, trails, and caves too, so enjoy.

Allie really likes the kids area at Blizzard Beach, and probably liked it a little more than Typhoon Lagoon last year. This year she loved the tube slide at Typhoon Lagoon more because it winds around more. We found lighter crowds at TL so we liked that, but the big central wave pool was too scary for Allie, so just for her if we had to pick one it would probably be BB.

Thanks so much for following along and your kind comments on the pictures. We sure enjoy sharing them.

I went and checked us in for our ADR while Allie went and did a penny press machine with Melissa, Grandma, and Grandpa.

There were quite a few people around in the lobby and hallway, but they were able to seat us right away. We got a great table in the back corner, so we had lots of space and weren't in anybody's way.

Our waitress was super sweet and offered Allie a birthday button. She wanted to put her own name on it so the hostess took her down to the hostess booth to put her name on her button herself.

It was neat that she went to go decorate it all by herself, and she was proud to bring it back to us and show off her handywork. Then it was time to order, and we had some nice items to choose from. I don't remember what everybody ordered, but I think Grandpa got the Jambalyah.

He definitely did, and I got the sweet tea porkchop which they call the Louisiana Lugger and it was delish. After ordering while we were waiting Allie got to open her presents!

Grandma and Grandpa got Allie a tea set that she had wanted from the toy store on Main street, and a stuffed Olaf.

When she saw our little birthday celebration the waitress brought over some mardigras beads with a balloon for Allie.

It was really nice, and she got right in to the celebration. She hand decorated the balooon and it was super cute. Then the food arrived and we got right into eating. I really enjoyed my steak, and I think it was the best of the trip. I tried the pork chop too and it was great, so if we went again I think sharing both would work out great.

yes so yummy, I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant and I think it's on our list of must do's, or at least try really hard to do even if we aren't staying at that resort.

Yes, and it would be a nice evening trip over from DTD by boat no matter where you were staying. I had been concerned that there wouldn't be anything on the menu I'd really like, and it turns out everything was great and there are lots of good options. We must have been hungry though, because we didn't get many food pictures. After dinner the desserts were next, and they were exceptional as well. I had the red velvet cheesecake and it was really great.

The bananas foster was devine as well.

Grandma had a sundae in a coffee cup which she really enjoyed, and Allie loved her birthday ice cream with strawberries.

We spent quite a while at the table, but never felt rushed, which was perfect for her birthday dinner. Once we were ready to go, we got a little disorganized with bathrom breaks and stuff and wound up leaving Allie's pressed pennies, Magic Band, and balloon at the table. Fortunately we figured this out while we were still at the boat dock, and Melissa ran back to get them.

I sprinted up the ramp and got back before the boat got there, that marathon training came in handy.

Our next plan for the evening was to take the boat to DTD for a little more shopping. Allie loves to shop, so this sounded great to her. We got on the boat about 8:45 and to DTD a little after 9:00. I think Allie was doing her pirate imitation using one of the pieces from her tea set.

The boat ride was nice, but Allie fell asleep during it having had about all the fun she could take.

We strolled through the art store, since we were able to take our time. I took some pictures of artwork I would love to have someday. Then we walked through Little Miss Matched and then along the water by where Cap n Jacks used to be. Then Grandma and Grandpa went back to the resort and we continued on to World of Disney.

I met Giant Stitch again and gave Paul the "I really really want this look"

After World of Disney we got a couple of big Diet Cokes at Marketplace snacks which really hit the spot. We then walked through the toy store one more time and bought some DVDs of the old Disney cartoons like they show on the cartoon channel at the resorts because Allie really enjoys those.

It's alot easier to buy things for her when she sleeps. It was a nice quiet relaxing eveing strolling through DTD though and Allie had a great first day as a 5 year old.

We headed to the boat dock in time to catch the last boat back right at 11:30.

The boat dock was super quiet when we got there and I think we ended up on the last boat back to the resort.

We enjoyed playing with the camera taking night shots while we waited. Melissa had read about setting it to F8.0 to get nice starburst shots, and it worked great.

We arrived back at POR at 11:58 having made the most out of the day.

We got back to the room and put on some cartoons for Allie as she went back to sleep after putting on her pajamas. We got to bed soon after and were asleep pretty quick.

We still had another full day and more left, so check back for the start of that in the next update.

You don't hear much about Boatwrights but sounds like a really nice meal. And how neat that they had Allie come up to the hostess stand to decorate her button - and she did a good job writing her name :thumbsup2

I think all parents can identify with the joy of shopping in peace with a sleeping child in the stroller - just allows you to spend more time looking a things and taking your time. Sounds like a really relaxing evening and cool that you got those DVD's of old cartoons to kinda remember something about the trip

Your meal at boatwrights looks great and how nice they did so many special things for Allie. What a great birthday. I've never heard too much about the restaurant, but just looked at the menu and it looks great. Will have to try it out some day.

Love your nighttime pics.

I love the little hearts that Allie added to her name on her birthday button. what a nice birthday party she had. It seems like Boatwrights was a good choice for the birthday dinner.

We have just planned a last minute trip to WDW with our son, two oldest grandsons and two of my sisters. We're staying at Old Key West, a new resort for us. I would love to take the boat to DTD. It looks more relaxing than the crazy bus ride from other resorts. :upsidedow

We have had Boatwrights booked before and cancelled it. Too bad for us, sounds like a nice little meal.

I love how CM's just go above and beyond <3

Your stroll through DD sounds like such a great, relaxed night!~

You don't hear much about Boatwrights but sounds like a really nice meal. And how neat that they had Allie come up to the hostess stand to decorate her button - and she did a good job writing her name :thumbsup2

I think all parents can identify with the joy of shopping in peace with a sleeping child in the stroller - just allows you to spend more time looking a things and taking your time. Sounds like a really relaxing evening and cool that you got those DVD's of old cartoons to kinda remember something about the trip
We were impressed with Boatwrights, and will definitely be back.

We finally got some shopping time with Allie asleep. It was very nice. :goodvibes

Your meal at boatwrights looks great and how nice they did so many special things for Allie. What a great birthday. I've never heard too much about the restaurant, but just looked at the menu and it looks great. Will have to try it out some day.

Love your nighttime pics.
Thanks. It was a nice meal and they made it extra special for her. The CMs made it great.

I love the little hearts that Allie added to her name on her birthday button. what a nice birthday party she had. It seems like Boatwrights was a good choice for the birthday dinner.

We have just planned a last minute trip to WDW with our son, two oldest grandsons and two of my sisters. We're staying at Old Key West, a new resort for us. I would love to take the boat to DTD. It looks more relaxing than the crazy bus ride from other resorts. :upsidedow
The schedule for the day worked out great. We just thought it would be nice to have a dinner close to the room that evening, and then heading over to DTD was super easy.

Congratulations on the OKW trip! We just visited there for the first time this trip and really liked it. It has a nice laid back feel, and the boat ride to DTD is even shorter than from POR. We'd love to stay there some day, and can't wait to hear more about it.

We have had Boatwrights booked before and cancelled it. Too bad for us, sounds like a nice little meal.

I love how CM's just go above and beyond <3

Your stroll through DD sounds like such a great, relaxed night!~
Yeah, I can see how a Boatwrights dinner would get bumped off the schedule, but now I'd say it is one worth keeping, especially with the great CMs we had.

We did have a nice relaxing shopping trip to round out a long but wonderful day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter