She's Collecting Castles and Staying at Copper Creek, a January-February 2021 Trip Report (Completed 5/7, Updated 5/17)

GrandCalifornian

Can't Wait To Go Back
Howdy friends! What a crazy year it's been since our last Disneyworld trip!

It really is amazing to look back on everything that happened since February 2020 and now, but one of the very best thing is that we got to go to Disney World again!

We just got back from a great trip and we think it could be the best one yet. I do think we say that every trip though. It was a fabulous trip with great dining, perfect room, and plenty of relaxing time.

After all the updates and changes, the worry and anticipation, and despite the fact that Disneyland here on the West Coast has still not opened, we were able to go to Disney World and have an amazing time. Join in as we re-live our 10 day trip home to what is still our favorite place on earth.

So lets get on to the who, what, where of the trip.

Let's get started with introductions. I am Paul, a now 41 year old Dad, Mechanical Engineer, and car guy who has a strange obsession with Wilderness Lodge. It is not only my favorite Disney Resort, it is my favorite place anywhere. My favorite park is Epcot, my favorite Disney Movie is Cars, my favorite character is Tow Mater, and my favorite ride is Test Track. (There's the "car guy" part coming through). I also like boats and trains and anything that moves, so WDW is a ton of fun for me. I'll be writing my portions of the report in blue.

I'm Melissa, mom to our two crazy kiddos. My family owns an elevator company and I do lots of officey things. My favorite character is Stitch and my favorite ride is Living with the Land. I really enjoy Epcot, especially World Showcase and the festivals. I'll make my comments here in Orange.

This is Allison, our now 11 year old daughter.

She is the "She" in our trip reports, and has grown in to a huge Disney fan. She never really had a choice, but as she gets older she seems to appreciate and enjoy getting to go to Disney even more. She is more reserved and a less adventurous rider, but she did ride Rockin Rollercoaster for the first time this trip and loved it. Outside of Disney, she loves to dance and play Roblox on her phone.

We decided to homeschool Allie this year with schools being closed in California. We both really enjoyed being able to do Disney without having to worry about homework. We also were able to weave little lessons into our Disney day for a great big field trip.

This is Marshall, he's now 5 and a ball of energy.

He is incredibly precocious and really enjoyed getting to interact with cast members on this trip. He is fearless and will ride anything that he's tall enough for.

Marshall is insanely outgoing. I truly don't know where he got it, but he continually amazes me with it. From inviting college program girls to see his room when he was 3 to chatting with random cast members, he loves the personal interaction at Disney, and has missed that a lot in the last year with social distancing and relative isolation.

Jon and Brandy once again joined us on this trip. They are some of our favorite people on the planet and we love traveling with them.

They love Disney and our crazy kids, which makes it a fun combination for all of us.

My parents (Grandpa Jim and Grandma Nancy) also once again joined us on this trip, making it a party of 8.

For the When and Where, our trip was January 28 to February 6th, 2021 at the Copper Creek Villas at Wilderness Lodge.

We booked this trip 11 months in advance, soon after returning home from our 2020 trip. At the time we were planning to spend part of the trip at Beach Club and do our first split stay, but by the time the 7 month window opened up COVID was in full swing and DVC borrowing restrictions were in place and we decided not to risk messing with our reservation. We got to spend the entire trip in a dedicated 2 bedroom villa, which is our favorite room we've had yet.

We were on the 6th floor not too far from the lobby and with a fantastic view of the upper courtyard. It was beautiful.

With my WL obsession, I have mapped out the locations of every room type, and am convinced this is the best 2 bedroom in the resort for us.

He is really a nut when it comes to this. He bought wifi for the plane so that he would be able to know our room assignment before we landed.

That is absolutely true. With our flight schedules, Jon and Brandy were arriving a few hours ahead of us, so I HAD to know what room we got. When they said the info that the front desk gave them, even before the room was ready, I knew it was going to be good. As we were over Texas, I got the following picture from a very happy Brandy.

Thanks to the AP extensions while the park was closed, our APs were still valid for the first few days of the trip, and we were able to purchase renewals ahead of time. This was a big concern in our trip planning, since we were not sure they would open up for sale before our trip, but they did and we took advantage of it.

It was really hard to wait to purchase tickets until they offered AP renewals. I was afraid park reservations were going to fill up before we had park admission. We didn't end up having any problems booking the park we wanted for the day we planned.

Another aspect of the timing of the trip was that it occurred in the middle of a global pandemic. Disneyland in California still has not reopened, and we have not been eaten in a restaurant since March. This is a big contrast with our usual Disney trips, and naturally we were concerned about whether this trip was a good idea. All along our approach had been that we would go as long as the resort was open and we could get there. Flying was the worst part, but we wore our masks, took our precautions, and bathed in hand sanitizer to make sure that we were able to make it to Disney.

My biggest concern with traveling was getting sick while we were on vacation, not that it would ruin the vacation but that it would be difficult or impossible to travel home. We went into essential lockdown 2 weeks before the trip to help ensure everyone stayed healthy. While school is closed out here the kids are still doing swim class every week and Allie still has her dance classes in person.

We stopped doing the in person classes 2 weeks before the trip and got really careful about what we did. I hadn't really thought about getting stuck there if we got sick, but once I did it was a huge concern.

We ended up taking wayy more sanitizing items then we needed. It felt like hand sanitizer was everywhere and tables were mostly sanitized before we sat down. I only felt the need to wipe down a couple tables on our trip as opposed to many more in previous trips.

The airplane was full and definitely our biggest risk, but we did our best and the flight attendants did a good job of making sure people wore their masks properly. I was surprised that people still weren't covering their noses at this point, but some people are jut a little slower... Disney also did a great job of making sure masks were worn properly and people were distanced, and like Melissa mentioned things were very clean. She's always a bit of a germaphobe anyway, and it was more comfortable now than ever before.

I really hope this level of cleanliness continues.

Spoiler alert, we made it through the trip just fine and so far so good on the home end. We didn't even come home with a sniffle.

With that issue cleared up, let's move on to show how this was quite possibly our best trip yet!

Woo Hoo! Let's go!

Last edited:
Table of Contents:
Introduction

Braving the Airport to Get to Our Happy Place
Our Annual Guest Services Visit at MK and LTT Lunch
Shopping at MK, Back to the Lodge, then off to Morimoto Asia
Starting with Art at Epcot
Getting What We Came For: Magical Reflections and Filet Mignon
Petting Goats and Chasing The Yeti
Tiffin's, a Chilly Swim, and Disney Springs
No Go for Rise, but Railway and Slinky Dog Rule the Morning
Batuu, Prime Time, Making Magic and Rockin Rollercoaster
Resort Time, MnMs, and Homecomin
WL and Magic Kingdom Morning
Cold Thunder, Almost Pirates, Monorail Touring and The Top Meal
TestTrack, Soarin, and our Annual Sprint
Pizza in Italy, Disney Springs via Riviera, and More Castles
Frosty Morning, Bay Lake Mission, and the new Tri Circle D
A Wild Afternoon and an Amphibious Evening
Another Epcot Morning and More Art
BCV Tour, Park Hopping and Re-Hopping, and Dinner To Go
Departure Morning and One More Trip to MK
Wrapping Up and Heading Home
Real Life Update: The Disney Wall
The Wrap Up
Surprise! The Girls are Back!

Prior Reports:
She's free before she's three, touring the world with a toddler: September 2012 Trip Report
She turned 3, but the DDP's Free, a WL Bounceback PTR: September 2013
She's a Princess, a Superhero, and a Rockstar -a September 2013 Trip Report
She's Turning Five at Disney World - a September 2014 PTR
She's Five at Riverside - September 2014 Trip Report
She's Going to Show Him The World - September 2016 PTR
She's a Big Sister and an Expedition Leader: A September 2016 TR
She's Sleeping on the Top Bunk: An August 2017 WL TR with a Party of 10
She's Staying DVC, a September 2018 PTR
She's On Top of The World, a September 2018 TR at Copper Creek Villas and Cabins
She's Going Back to Back, a September 2019 and February 2020 PTR
She Dodged a Hurricane, Skipped School, and Adopted a Porg, A September 2019 TR
She's a Disney Adult and Feeling Artsy, a February 2020 TR
She's Masking Up and Taking on The World, a Jan 2021 PTR

Last edited:

I can't wait to hear about your trip. I was also concerned about getting sick while in WDW so we also tried to quarantine two weeks before our trips. The airplane is the scariest part of the trip so I wore double masks when traveling. :)

Your room location looked like it would be great. The courtyard rooms can get noisy from people talking as they walk around outside. But with the reduced occupancy right now, it was probably nice. :)

I love the pictures with the masks. We will all look back years from now and laugh at how funny we all look. :)

Following!
I am living vicariously through other people’s trip reports...
We are still basically on lockdown here in Canada and we have no idea when we’ll be back to WDW... but it makes me so happy reading about other people’s trips!
Looks like you had an amazing time, can’t wait to read more!

I am so excited to read about your adventures! We were at WDW in November, and loved the Wilderness Lodge. That place is definitely on our bucket list! Thanks for sharing! :dance3:

I am here and first! Ready to hear all the details of a magical trip! :)
Welcome! Thanks and congratulations for being the first to join in!

I’m excited to read all about it and super jealous!
We can't wait to re-live the trip and share it with everybody. We really had a great time.

I'm here and can't wait to read all about it. popcorn::
That's great. We have the first day ready to post tonight, so you won't have to wait much longer.

I can't wait to read all about your trip!!
Thanks, we are looking forward to sharing it.

I can't wait to hear about your trip. I was also concerned about getting sick while in WDW so we also tried to quarantine two weeks before our trips. The airplane is the scariest part of the trip so I wore double masks when traveling. :)

Your room location looked like it would be great. The courtyard rooms can get noisy from people talking as they walk around outside. But with the reduced occupancy right now, it was probably nice. :)

I love the pictures with the masks. We will all look back years from now and laugh at how funny we all look. :)
Thanks! We are sorry that we missed out on meeting up with you again, but we are glad that you made it down to WDW and had a nice quick trip.

We bought better masks for the plane and disposed of them after the airport. I figure that is the only part of the trip where we don't have distancing to help out, so we could use a little more protection.

The room location was ideal. Since it is above the creek and waterfall and not the main pool, I don't think it would get very loud. We had a similar location but lower floor in 2019, and loved it then, but this room was ideal.

We are lookign forward to when mask photos seem strange. It was tough to get uncovered ones from this trip to use for the intros.

It sounds like your trip got off to an excellent start!
It did, and it just got better from there. We're glad you are here to share it with.

Following!
I am living vicariously through other people’s trip reports...
We are still basically on lockdown here in Canada and we have no idea when we’ll be back to WDW... but it makes me so happy reading about other people’s trips!
Looks like you had an amazing time, can’t wait to read more!
Yes, TRs are great for that when you don't get to go yourself. We're glad that you are here and hopefully you will get to be there in person soon.

I am so excited to read about your adventures! We were at WDW in November, and loved the Wilderness Lodge. That place is definitely on our bucket list! Thanks for sharing! :dance3:
It is our favorite resort. We honeymooned there in 2007 after getting married at the Grand Californian in CA which has a similar theme. It is home for us at WDW.

Welcome, thanks for joining in again.

Last edited:
Our first day of the trip started as we got up with the alarm at 4:30 AM. We finished getting the house ready for the house sitter by changing the sheets and folding the last load of towels. For the first time I can recall we had all the dishes clean and put away, and all our laundry done.

it was truly a miracle, our house has never been cleaner. Normally we just put the dirty laundry in the garage when we leave and have a sitter.

This sitter was new for us, after boarding the dogs for the last few trips. We were a little unsure, but it worked out great and everyone had a great time.
It felt good to leave the house so nice.
We loaded up the car, which was still pretty full even with fewer bags. We knew this car wouldn’t have worked for all of us with Jon and Brandy, but our stuff fit so we were in our way.

Yes, for the first time in a while we were flying on our own.

We made the drive into LA which is only about an hour and a half with no traffic. We got lucky and didn't have any which made us super early.

Not wanting to spend extra time sitting in the airport, we decided to get breakfast near the airport. We got to Chick-Fil-A at 6:45 and got breakfast, which we ate in the car.

As we ate we tracked the status of the plane we would be getting on.

Paul is really good at this stuff, figures out the flight numbers and where the plane is before it becomes our plane and all that fun. I just go along for the ride.

Well, it didn't help us any, other than to know that our flight was going to be delayed. As usual, I was more worried about it than I needed to be, but it wound up being delayed for over an hour in Denver as they switched planes due to a mechanical issue, so we had something to watch. We also tracked my parents and Jon and Brandy's flights, both of which left early but had layovers to deal with.

We finally went to the airport about 8:30, and we’re still surprised at how empty it was. We had no problem getting parking, and soon went to check our bags.

We got them dropped off and walked right through security in the TSA Pre line. It was the easiest ever.

The airport in general was very very quiet, a lot of places are closed but our gate was really busy.

Our flight was, how did they put it, extra full?

Yeah, like the old days, every seat packed and people everywhere. It was a strange contrast to the otherwise very empty terminal. We enjoyed our people watching and I took Allie out to see what shops were open and then Marshall to go watch them load other planes. It was good that we stopped for breakfast before the airport because most places were closed and those that were open were only selling food to go, since you can't eat inside in restaurants in California.

Which is incredibly ironic in an airport since you can't go outside to eat it anyway.

Yep, that's our state... The wait wasn't too bad, especially once we saw that our plane was on its way. The crowd at the terminal kept growing though, and it was clearly going to be a full flight. When the time came we were able to board in the second group, since our seats were near the back. Overhead bins were filling quickly, but we found space for our two bags.

As we boarded the flight attendants were talking about how many kids were on the flight, and one said "It's Orlando"... The other flight attendant asked if Disney is even open there, making it about the 10th time we heard that in the last week.

LOL I didn't hear that bit. It's pretty crazy how many people we know have decided to go to Orlando because everything here is closed. I think it really shows people will travel elsewhere if they can't get what they want at home.

Our flight was relatively uneventful which is good. No one wants a flight that there's something to write about.

I had the WiFi to keep myself busy, and shortly after takeoff we got the text that Jon and Brandy had landed in Orlando. They got to WL as we crossed from New Mexico into Texas, and when the room wasn't ready at 4:00 they went to the front desk. The nice guy there said he couldn't give them the room number yet, but that it was an open balcony on the 6th floor overlooking the main pool. That was all the info I needed, and I was doing a little happy dance at 36,000 ft since I had figured out the room would be 6113.

Soon after Brandy texted us a picture from the balcony, and the MDE app confirmed that I had thought. With that concern out of the way I snoozed a bit, but woke up to the flight attendant telling the guy behind me to put his mask on. This happened over and over on the trip, and he just didn't think he had to leave it over his nose while sitting there. He was exactly the passenger I was afraid of having to sit next to, but at least he was behind me.

The lady next to me was traveling with her son and was very nice. One funny part of the flight was when the pilot walked all the way to the back of the plane to use the restroom right as we started to descend. The look from Melissa was pretty funny, but I guess when you gotta go, you gotta go.

I never want to see the pilot walk by on the plane, I'm generally a nervous flier and watching him walk to the back of the plane was unnerving.

We also got texts from Grandma and Grandpa saying they got a studio room just across from us. It wasn't the first floor tub studio they had booked, but to be right across the hall they were good with it.

It really ended up being a nice room for them and easy for us to collect them on our way out and about.

Orlando was quiet when we landed too, the tram was practically empty.

We landed and got to the gate at 6:50, then got off the plane by 7:05. After a quick potty stop and a walk through the gift shop we made it to baggage claim and our bags were already there.

Dealing with our bags was not as much of an issue as I thought it would be. It wasn't really a big deal at all.

It was our first time claiming bags at Orlando, but was super quick and easy. Then we went downstairs and got on the MDE bus. We had been checked in accidentally by one of the earlier parties, but it was fine and we soon were first in line for Copper Creek. We were surprised when they assigned us seats on the bus, but it was a short wait and the buses were as nice as ever.

The bus video was mostly the same as usual, but a disclaimer had been added saying that the video did not reflect current mask and social distancing restrictions. There was also a but that was added about wearing a mask to stay safe.

Grand Floridian was the first stop at 8:06, followed by Wilderness Lodge at 8:13. We entered the glorious lobby and went to the front desk to get our bands programmed, which Brandy had warned us we'd need to do.

This began our front desk saga this trip, it seems like there's always something. This short trip to the front desk would lead to a couple more visits later in the trip.

They insisted on having separate credit cards on file for the parties in the room, even though we usually just charge to Brandy's card and pay our portion with gift cards. Going with it, we left Melissa's card for our charges. Then we went up to the room and saw that it was beautiful.

We really love the dedicated 2 bedroom, especially because of the big bathroom and walk in closet in the second bedroom. It just fits us so well.

We could see and hear the EWP from our balcony.

We really love that room and the bigger bathroom and closet are really great for space.

After we got settled a minute we decided we were hungry and headed down to Roarin Fork to grab dinner.

We mobile ordered before we went down there, but I didn’t see the mugs on the menu so I figured we’d buy those in person, like my parents did earlier in the day.

When we got there we saw that half of the dining room is now the order pickup area, with a counter made from tables that separates the guests from the Cast Members and the drink machines.

It is actually pretty efficient, and all trip whenever I wanted a refill there was someone there to get it for me.

We did have to place another mobile order for the mugs, since the cash register was closed. Since they don’t actually fill the mugs, you just show the mug and they give you a new paper drink cup filled with your beverage of choice. They even said that instead of carrying the mugs, you could take a picture with them and show it on your phone. This worked for me all trip.

There were still a few tables in the dining area, and we asked if we could eat there and they kind of looked at us funny and said of course. It was clear that we weren’t in California anymore.

We hadn’t eaten inside a restaurant since March.

We celebrated my birthday since it was the week before and I hadn’t seen my parents since then. They got me some cool prints of Disney patents to put on the wall at home.

The food was good, I had the cheeseburger, Allie got tomato bisque soup, Marshall got chicken nuggets.

I got a pulled pork sandwich and shared some of it with Allie.

Food wise the star of the show was the desserts, and I really enjoyed the orange creamsicle cupcake. We also got a s’mores cupcake that Allie really liked, but the orange one was my favorite of the trip. Now I am wishing I would have gotten it again at some point.

The orange creamsicle cupcake was definitely the best cupcake of the trip, and way better than the apple cupcake fromthere a few years ago.

After dinner we headed up to the rooms by 10:00.

We unpacked our suitcases to get ready for our first full day.

Last edited:
Your room is beautiful! Looks like you had a great travel day although I noticed the woman behind you on the plane with her mask under her chin. What in the world is wrong with some people???

There is nothing like being home at Wilderness Lodge! On our last Disney trip in 2019 we had the room right beside where you were, 6115. It's an alternate layout studio and was an amazing room to have!

As another Canadian Dis'er, it is great to have TRs to read. It helps to keep the Disney magic alive until we can travel again.

I'm from Washington State and we also have not been able to eat inside. I remember how strange it feels when you get to do so.

Your dog - the one sitting in the first picture - knows that you are leaving.

I usually fly Delta or Alaska to MCO, and the shuttle for that concourse looks different than the one you rode. The United concourse must have an updated train.

Speaking of United, that's a bummer that the flight was so full and the people around you couldn't keep their masks on properly. At least the flight attendants were addressing it, but yikes.

Your room view really is spectacular.

Following along! Orange creamsicle cupcake sounds like it would be amazing. I love orange treats!

Question for you, is there some specifics that you love about 6113 vs other dedicated 2 bdrm villas? Just curious.

It was good that we stopped for breakfast before the airport because most places were closed and those that were open were only selling food to go, since you can't eat inside in restaurants in California.

We brought food to the airport, too, because there are long lines for the few places that are open at the airport. We had a ban on indoor dining from November until just a couple weeks ago in our state.

It's pretty crazy how many people we know have decided to go to Orlando because everything here is closed. I think it really shows people will travel elsewhere if they can't get what they want at home.
We are definitely in the group that travels to WDW because there is nothing open in our state. :)

That was all the info I needed, and I was doing a little happy dance at 36,000 ft since I had figured out the room would be 6113.

Our daughter and her family had room 3113 back in 2014, when it was a bunk bed room. The location was great. I found all the secret stairways and exits from that section of the resort. Our room was a couple doors down from that.

It really ended up being a nice room for them and easy for us to collect them on our way out and about.
That must have been a time saver, too. :)

Orlando was quiet when we landed too, the tram was practically empty.
Your airport tram is designed a little differently than the one that connects to our Southwest flights.
We could see and hear the EWP from our balcony.
I was really glad that they brought back the EWP. We watched it from the GF on Saturday night. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter